Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Universities for all

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pcluney

Hi Media999,

I did check this out yesterday, created a number of accounts and tested from a number of devices, i had no problems....

where you in any particular area?
    what type of device were you using?

PM me a username and i can look at the logs and get a better idea of the error.

Talk soon

Kind Regards

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

pcluney wrote: »
    Hi iamaiamai,

I would just like to give you some feedback on your comments.

Ok it's a pretty basic request, and it is correct that Computer Services strive to be able to provide the services required in WIT, but the basic problem with such requests is that they do not contain the details to provide the services.
    There are no indications of the resources required. And they are based on information that is not 100 percent correct, where ever there is technology, then there is a requirement for expertise.

Are you saying you don't have the expertise?
    Thanks for that, but i think that any issues that are raised, should be dealt with, regardless of the forum. it's the lack of dealing with issues that causes problems.

Agreed.

I am not going to assume anything about your technicial expertise, or your experience as a systems administrator. But i will try and explain anyway.

Do I detect a hint of condescension here? ;)
    The network equipment, servers within WIT are monitored on a 24/7 basis, with alerts sent when a system fails.

There are a number of levels of faiilure that can occur with any system.

Total system failure, all services down

Semi system failure, a number of services down, system still functioning on a limited basis

Transient system failure, no services appear to be down, services not working for a group of users, or users that meet a particular set of conditions, otherwise functioning normally.

Each level of failure has different procedures to follow to enact a fix, and also has different levels of complexicity to investigate to find a resolution to any failures that has occured.

There are a number of steps that have to be followed when investigating these types of issues.

Problem reporting. problem is reported, notes taken
    Information Gathering based on initial report, more information is gathered
    problem investigation based on all information gatherd,a resoultion is investigated, and a resolution is decided on
    problem resolution issue resolution is implemented.
    post problem investigaton issue is tested and reviewed, should it not work, then go back to step 1.

That's all well and good when the servers appear to be up, but are functioning abysmally. What happens then? You just don't know about it?

Do you not use the wifi yourselves? Maybe that would be a way for you to see it from a service users point of view.
    But it seems to be the first action that you are engaging in is to chastise WIT/computer services, how about engaging in a consultation process instead?.

What the hell is a consultation process?

You have herein the complaints and observations of numerous current and previous WIT students. They want stronger and more consistent WIFI. Condescending them and asking them to provide you with the "details" of what would be needed to solve such a problem doesn't really help your case.

My answer would be better WIFI. If you don't know what it would take to improve wifi at WIT, then we are both stumped. Maybe new system administrators? Maybe you are over worked? That might explain your barely contained hostility towards students in your last post..
    I can give you thoes stats if you want, all you have to do is ask, i am aware of all devices that are connected to the WIT network, it is my job to know.
    Has there been a study done on this, can you provide me with a link?

Not to my knowledge, but I would still be interested in those stats.
    I think that you accusing anyone of "playing backseat antagonist" is very disengenuious.

I think unless they have a vested interest in what is being discussed, or have suffered as a result of there being no printers working on campus, or no computers available in library, or their laptop has not been able maintain a consistent connection to WIFI after they managed to find a working plug to connect to in the library, or their PC in college is telling them that trying to retrieve an academic journal article is unsafe so they will have to commute back to where they live before they can complete coursework.. well then they are undermining valid and practical concerns of students who require use of this service up to 10-11 hours a day. And that is disingenuous.
    I know what my areas of expertise are and i can back them up, i do not do bull****, nor will i be bull****ed....

What would it take to increase the strength (and indeed the signal) of WIT wifi then.
    I am now asking you to engage in a constructive agenda to resolve any issues you have, i do not judge anyone by what they say, i recieve proof by what they do.

What do you need me to do?

You hardly need me to hold your hand on this.

It's not my job to maintain the network, you've made it clear that it's yours??

This was constructive, I thought, until your condescension made your agenda pretty clear.

Do you really wish to undermine students requests and big yourself up while doing nothing about the issue at hand?

Do you need every student on boards.ie to contact you personally before you act on these complaints?

If you are really so concerned about how this issue is affecting WIT students, I would suggest you attend a class rep council in the coming academic year and ask for feedback from current service users. I think that would be more constructive, and less embarrassing for you than condescending alumni online.

Hi,

"Are you saying you don't have the expertise?"

How did you come up with that conclusion ?. i was saying that i do not what your expertise is, you hide behind an alias....

"I am not going to assume anything about your technicial expertise, or your experience as a systems administrator. But i will try and explain anyway.

Do I detect a hint of condescension here?"

Again How did you come up with that conclusion ?. i was saying that i do not what your expertise is, you hide behind an alias....

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

Hi,

How did you come up with that conclusion ?. i was saying that i do not what your expertise is, you hide behind an alias....

Again How did you come up with that conclusion ?. i was saying that i do not what your expertise is, you hide behind an alias....

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

I use an "alias", otherwise known as username, because this is a public forum. It is quite common for people to protect their identities online.

To be honest, this is beginning to veer a long way from the actual point of this thread. You actually don't need to know anything about my level of expertise in order to grapple with these issues. I'm not even sure it's relevant. What's relevant is your expertise and how you plan on putting it to task to get to the bottom of this problem, if you wish to.

There appear to be a number of current students here who may be able to help you, and if you desperately need some, maybe you could go into the library tomorrow and ask people about their experiences?

I am no longer a full time student at WIT, nor do I have any interest in travelling to Waterford to spend another day on campus trying to work out this problem with you. I hope to never have to use the WIFI there again, and hopefully won't need to resort to a dongle when I move onto postgraduate studies elsewhere.

My best advice is to consider the strength of signal on each campus, particularly out at the industrial estate, and maybe extrapolate from that how it would be able to serve a campus at maximum capacity in each building. Maybe the WIFI suffers most at peak times? I know I had my most frustrating experiences in the run up to deadlines.

Anyway, I've voiced my experience, and whether or not you want to take it seriously is down to you. I just hope it can be improved for future students.

That's all well and good when the servers appear to be up, but are functioning abysmally. What happens then? You just don't know about it?

We know more that you :)

Do you not use the wifi yourselves? Maybe that would be a way for you to see it from a service users point of view.

The WIFI is used all the time by computer services.

Nothing, we do not know who you are so how can you help.

That is right :)

It is :)

This was constructive, I thought, until your condescension made your agenda pretty clear.

Do you really wish to undermine students requests and big yourself up while doing nothing about the issue at hand?

Do you need every student on boards.ie to contact you personally before you act on these complaints?

You make it sound that computer services do not respond to any issues, that is not the case......

If you are really so concerned about how this issue is affecting WIT students, I would suggest you attend a class rep council in the coming academic year and ask for feedback from current service users. I think that would be more constructive, and less embarrassing for you than condescending alumni online.

i suspect that you are still within WIT.

i have worked with WIT students union in the past with great sucess, i would hate to think this would be damaged by the current issues that are happening.

• Advertisement

We know more that you :)

The WIFI is used all the time by computer services.

Nothing, we do not know who you are so how can you help.

That is right :)

It is :)

You make it sound that computer services do not respond to any issues, that is not the case......

i suspect that you are still within WIT.

i have worked with WIT students union in the past with great sucess, i would hate to think this would be damaged by the current issues that are happening.

I really feel bad for anyone trying to trawl through this - it's very hard to read.

But no, I did my time.

If you are really concerned about your relations with WIT students, I would urge you to reach out to them in a student forum. Again, I think the class rep council would be a good place to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

iamaiamai wrote: »
    I really feel bad for anyone trying to trawl through this - it's very hard to read.

But no, I did my time.

If you are really concerned about your relations with WIT students, I would urge you to reach out to them in a student forum. Again, I think the class rep council would be a good place to start!
    A better idea would be if you have ideas to bring them directly to the people concerned. you are a student (I gather). P Cluney is a permanent employee in the effected Department.

This might sound radical - but why not call down to him/her and have a chat? :confused:

7upfree wrote: »
    A better idea would be if you have ideas to bring them directly to the people concerned. you are a student (I gather). P Cluney is a permanent employee in the effected Department.

This might sound radical - but why not call down to him/her and have a chat? :confused:

Because I am no longer a student of WIT, and have nothing to gain from travelling all the way to WIT just to reiterate the same information.

My big revolutionary idea was to strengthen the signal of the wifi at WIT so it was consistent, reached all campuses and served all students, even at peak times. I don't know what I could possibly do to help computer services achieve this task, and it seems a bit pointless seeing as I won't even benefit from it, and no solutions have been offered thus far. If computer services are concerned that this is a problem that affects more than the sample of students contained here, I'm sure they will follow up with current students.

Until then, there are many other obstacles facing WIT as they try to meet these new criteria. Maybe we'll get more spokespeople from the college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

So does anyone have any idea what courses we'll be trying to keep? I'd imagine WIT will keep nursing, some of engineering and some of the i.t courses but Carlow will want to keep their games definitely.

Time period wise I'd say 5 years would be a minimum without problems.

Advertisement