Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take a Walk on the Westside

Options
  • 30-05-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

I was driving on the Seamus Quirke Rd with a visitor who used to live in Galway, when he spotted the "Talk a Walk on the Westside" sign near Cuan Glas (Deane Roundabout).

We got into a discussion about where the boundaries between Westside / Rahoon / Newcastle / Knocknacarra are, and couldn't agree. He was arguing (possibly correctly) that Westside is a subset of Rahoon.

Is there any official guide - I tried looking at the city council website but couldn't find anything definite.

Also while looking, I noticed that in a lot of official documents, Ballybane seems to be changed to Ballybaan. When did this happen?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It originates from the name of the retail mecca that is westside shopping centre.

An Baile Bán was warped into english as Ballybaan. Not sure why it is written as Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

It very much an 'each to their own' thing but I would say personally it's Rosan Glas to the West, The reservoir to the North, Thomas Hynes Road to the North East and Colmcille Road to the South East with the old Shantalla/Rahoon Road to the South.

5y91cn.jpg

But again, it's hard to say. Just my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a map here, not very precise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    That is an electoral boundary map. You wouldn't put College Road, Eyre Square, Galway on a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

biko wrote: »

Thanks Biko - I just located a slightly better resolution of the same map here

It has Barna stretching all the way to Corrach Bui next to the Westside playing fields, and St Nicholas' is enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dilallio wrote: »
    Also while looking, I noticed that in a lot of official documents, Ballybane seems to be changed to Ballybaan. When did this happen?

The City council went through a fit of converting stuff to US English a few years ago, this is the result. Ballybane is how it would be written and pronounced by the locals (in Hiberno-English - yes it is a distinct dialect), but it's still a bit like using the american Brier instead of Briar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It very much an 'each to their own' thing but I would say personally it's Rosan Glas to the West, The reservoir to the North, Thomas Hynes Road to the North East and Colmcille Road to the South East with the old Shantalla/Rahoon Road to the South.

5y91cn.jpg

I'd go by postal address, but saying that I used to live in Maunsells Park years ago. some of the residents put 'Taylors Hill' and the others 'Rahoon' or even 'Shantalla' or (not necessarily in any order of which they were a bit closer to)

Personally I would definitely say Ashe Road, Davis Road etc are Shantalla, not Rahoon or Westside. Rahoon Graveyard is definitely in Rahoon, and Currach Buí used to be Rahoon Flats, so from there back definitely Rahoon. I'd cut it off at Circular Road up, Bishop O' road on the bottom, and just before Letteragh on the top.
    The technical townland of Rahoon is huge though. There have been loads of discussions about the Dunnes 'Knocknacarra' for example, which is technically (according to its delivery address) in Rahoon townland, but many call it Knocknacarra, and the debate goes on. As someone said, the Westside name came later.

*edit, just saw the map which agrees with some of what I posted, not other bits, so there ya are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I know that DaCor did great work in mapping Galway in OpenStreetMap. Must pm them and ask how they assigned various estates.

I suppose if I owned a house in highfield, I would put down one suburb for my property tax form and another (probably Taylor's hill) if I was selling it. Seems to happen a lot on daft.ie and estate agents websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

5y91cn.jpg

You've put part of Shantalla into Westside .. this thread is gonna be fun to watch :)

We had a thread a while back about the difference between
    The west side of the city (as defined by the Corrib)
    Westside
    The West (or Whest ...)

Great craic all round!

I've done a version of "the suburbs", which grew out of neighbourhood public transport maps. These are based on where the various bus routes go, how areas looked to me when i walked around them, and various opinions and prejudices expressed on this forum. No official sources were consulted - because my expereince is that they're out-of-date, or not based on what people actually use.

You've put part of Shantalla into Westside .. this thread is gonna be fun to watch :)

We had a thread a while back about the difference between
    The west side of the city (as defined by the Corrib)
    Westside
    The West (or Whest ...)

Great craic all round!

I've done a version of "the suburbs", which grew out of neighbourhood public transport maps. These are based on where the various bus routes go, how areas looked to me when i walked around them, and various opinions and prejudices expressed on this forum. No official sources were consulted - because me expereince is that they're out-of-date, or not based on what people actually use.

Am I reading the map right :eek: Has Rahoon been eliminated *entirely* on your map and eaten by a Westside pacman? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Whatever way you slice up the map, make sure you keep El Prez in Westside!:D
    Only good thing out of the east side is the road to the Westside. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

he spotted the "Talk a Walk on the Westside" sign near Cuan Glas (Deane Roundabout).

Nuala came from Corofin, County Clare
    Hitch-hiked her way across to Gal-Way.
    Plucked her eyebrows on the way
    Shaved her legs and then he was a she
    She says, "Hey, Scan
    Take a walk on the Westside"
    She said, "Hey, Scan

Ciara came from out on the Aran Islands
    In the back room she was everybody's darling
    But she never lost her head
    Even when she was giving head
    She says, "Hey, Scan
    Said, "Hey, Scan
    Take a walk on the wild side"
    And the colored girls go
    "Doo do doo do doo do do doo ..."

Little Niall never once gave it away
    Everybody had to pay and pay
    A hussle here and a hussle there
    Gaway City's the place
    Where they said, "Hey, Scan
    I said, "Hey, Scan

Sugar Plum Fergus came and hit the streets
    Looking for Taco fries and a place to eat
    Went to Supermacs on Eyre square
    You should've seen them queuing there
    They said, "Hey, Scan
    I said, "Hey, Scan
    All right, huh

Brigid is just speeding away
    Thought she was James Dean for a day
    Then I guess she had to crash
    A ten spot would have helped that bash
    Said, "Hey, Scan
    I said, "Hey, Scan
    And the colored girls say
    "Doo do doo do doo do do doo ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Am I reading the map right :eek: Has Rahoon been eliminated *entirely* on your map and eaten by a Westside pacman? :D

I just didn't see enough of a difference between them to justify two different maps. So there's one called either "Westside / Rahoon" or "Rahoon / Westside" (can't remember which).

Besides houses, there's not actually much stuff in Rahoon: cemetery, and maybe the new laundry site depending on where you draw the boundary between it and Knockers. I'm sure there are interesting historic sites, but my focus was on things people are looking for today.

I just didn't see enough of a difference between them to justify two different maps. So there's one called either "Westside / Rahoon" or "Rahoon / Westside" (can't remember which).

Besides houses, there's not actually much stuff in Rahoon: cemetery, and maybe the new laundry site depending on where you draw the boundary between it and Knockers. I'm sure there are interesting historic sites, but my focus was on things people are looking for today.

When I click on the area number, there is no Rahoon mentioned, just Westside. I'd personally have gone with the older townland name between the two.
    Yeah, there are a few antiquities in the area too. Not sure what it says on the bus - via Rahoon or Westside - depending on the bus. More shops in Westside to be sure, but pity to lose a whole neighbourhood/area. I take your point about 'what people might be looking for though' but I'd make a case for keeping it if only for the houses and the graveyard. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Westside to me are the estates that are on Siobhán McKenna Road e.g. Inishannagh, Gaelcarraig, Coogan, Camillaun,Laurel Park and Corrib Park,
    Glenn Darra and Corrach Buí are Rahoon! As someone said already 'Westside' doesn't actually exist as it was originally the name for the shopping centre.

I know my estate could have 3-4 different addresses, Upr Dangan, Newcastle, Rahoon and Westside!

I know that DaCor did great work in mapping Galway in OpenStreetMap. Must pm them and ask how they assigned various estates.

I suppose if I owned a house in highfield, I would put down one suburb for my property tax form and another (probably Taylor's hill) if I was selling it. Seems to happen a lot on daft.ie and estate agents websites.

Housing estate boundaries are mapped as they appear, i.e. boundary walls, etc.

As for suburbs, there is no known accepted map of Galway suburbs anywhere that i am aware of. As a result, the suburb names as showing on OSM are based on single node locations (a dot on the map to indicate the rough centre) as opposed to an exact boundary.

I placed some of the suburb nodes based on my own understanding of where each suburb is. Some other folks placed a few too.

If anyone knows of any out-of-copyright map (or map with an appropriate licence) that shows the suburb boundaries, I will happily add it to OSM or show others how to do it.

As for "where is Westside", personally I equate it to the Northside/southside usage in Dublin. Its no specific area and stemmed from the shopping centre name on SQR.

I'd wager there is not a single location in the city that includes "Westside" as the suburb part of the address.......because its not a suburb

If I may butt in to the convo....living in the "posh"side of the town..my mother recently informed me(yesterday)that the cathredal was built in the early 80's and that she and many other god fearing people bought a brick each(5£) but were told to go away in case the Bishop saw them standing there in their best clothes and shoes and gibberish(Gaeilge)coming from their mouths.

Construction started in 58 and finished in 65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Construction started in 58 and finished in 65
    This is true. Was built by John Sisk, completed in early 60's on the site of the old gaol.

Advertisement