Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will pick up the litter for the next few months ?

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Now that we are at coming to the start of the 'closure' of part of the beach to dog walkers, I wonder who will pick up litter left after the weekenders ?

Last monday, while walking the dog near the north end of the beach I collected TEN plastic drinking bottles and 4 tesco sandwich wrappers - ran out of carrying capacity at that stage. I did not have gloves with me so had to leave the less enticing rubbish where it was.

Anyway, as I now have to limit myself to the southern part of the beach beyond the arch I hope some of the non-dog owning beach worshippers will encourage others to bring their litter with them or if that fails, maybe try to pick up one or two pieces of litter. It is in their interest also.

{If you want to respond with a post about dog poo, I probably agree, but feel free to start a separate thread. I may do that anyway ... }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Excuse me while I pick myself up from laughing! The dog owners who use the beach are an asset in keeping it tidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Excuse me while I pick myself up from laughing! The dog owners who use the beach are an asset in keeping it tidy?

Well, one of them appears to be. I pick up too when I'm out with the mutt. So that's two...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

I knew it would not be long ....

So just for the record ...

1. Litter is left all over the beach
    2. I am a Dog-owner
    3. I pick up litter
    4. I see other dog-owners (and non dog-owners) walking the beach (with their doggie bags) and also cleaning up 'spare' litter

As suggested in my original post, you can re-start on of the previous threads about careless dog-owners (which is a very valid concern) but it would be great if you could try to address the topic on this thread which is - beach-goers cleaning up (or NOT) after themselves.

Or you can just keep on with your current approach of mixing and matching two different issues which have little causality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This thread won't end well.......

2011 wrote: »
    This thread won't end well.......

Yep - just realised this will become a "dog owners are all to blame" thread very quickly. Still not sure how dogs and their owners could be blamed for the 10 bottles of refreshment and the various sandwiches after which I cleaned up :(

But to get back on track, does anyone have viable suggestions for how we ALL might be able to keep the beach a bit more litter free during the summer (and longer) ?

A couple of well positioned posters/signs on the steps down to the beach reminding people to bring their litter home. Maybe the direct approach - "We don't leave rubbish in your home, please don't leave it behind you on the beach". {As a dog-owner, I would also LOVE to see a few signs - we don't "Cr*p in you house, please don't let your dog cr*p on our street/beach" - but I am going OT}

What about litter wardens ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

This thread won't end well.

But I'm sure we all can see from previous threads its the same poster going on and on about the dog poo.

Don't get me wrong as a dog owner I agree something has to be done about it, however there's no need to bring it up in every thread like the other poster likes to do. From what I can gather from their posts it's all dog owners fault... All the rubbish ... Everything !

Anyway back on topic, I agree as residents we all need to take some pride in our town and keep it tidy and clean.

That involves everybody playing their part. I walked the sea front yesterday with my dog (shock horror) and its pretty manky with bottles, wrappers and general human litter...

The last time my dog had a coke if make sure he put the bottle in the bin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Now that we are at coming to the start of the 'closure' of part of the beach to dog walkers, I wonder who will pick up litter left after the weekenders ?

Last monday, while walking the dog near the north end of the beach I collected TEN plastic drinking bottles and 4 tesco sandwich wrappers - ran out of carrying capacity at that stage. I did not have gloves with me so had to leave the less enticing rubbish where it was.

Anyway, as I now have to limit myself to the southern part of the beach beyond the arch I hope some of the non-dog owning beach worshippers will encourage others to bring their litter with them or if that fails, maybe try to pick up one or two pieces of litter. It is in their interest also.

{If you want to respond with a post about dog poo, I probably agree, but feel free to start a separate thread. I may do that anyway ... }

Have you asked the Council?

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/TownCouncils/gtc.aspx
    http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/TownCouncils/gtcMembers.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As sent to Kathleen Kelleher and Stephen Stokes ...

"Dear Mayor, Deputy Mayor,

I was wondering what initiates are being considered to try to keep the Greystones beach as litter free as possible.

As a dog-owner I fully understand and support the closure of the main beach area to dogs during the peak summer months.

I do, however, have a concern that not enough appears to be done regarding the frequent littering of the beach, especially after a busy weekend.

Some suggestions of initiatives which may already be in progress include;

Direct-message signage - "We don't leave litter in your home, please don't leave rubbish on our beach"
    More rubbish bins actually on the beach - it always amazes me how lazy some people can be when there are bins at all of the exit points from the beach
    Early morning emptying of the main rubbish bins - and extra bins where there is clear overflow. This is a major issue at the top of the steps beside the Dart carpark and excess rubbish is left on or near the completely full bin. At least the people did bring it up from the beach.
    Are there litter-warden patrols planned ? Maybe even just during the peak times during the afternoon at the weekend ?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I knew it would not be long ....

So just for the record ...

1. Litter is left all over the beach
    2. I am a Dog-owner
    3. I pick up litter
    4. I see other dog-owners (and non dog-owners) walking the beach (with their doggie bags) and also cleaning up 'spare' litter

As suggested in my original post, you can re-start on of the previous threads about careless dog-owners (which is a very valid concern) but it would be great if you could try to address the topic on this thread which is - beach-goers cleaning up (or NOT) after themselves.

Or you can just keep on with your current approach of mixing and matching two different issues which have little causality.

To be fair, and I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the dog issue, you are the one who mixed the issues. You are suggesting, through the title and original post, that the beach is somehow going to be worse now that dog owners can't walk there.

If you are trying to have a discussion about people leaving rubbish on the beach and what we do about it, then you could have started a thread about just that!
    ;)

Robertr wrote: »
    To be fair, and I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the dog issue, you are the one who mixed the issues. You are suggesting, through the title and original post, that the beach is somehow going to be worse now that dog owners can't walk there.

If you are trying to have a discussion about people leaving rubbish on the beach and what we do about it, then you could have started a thread about just that!
    ;)
    Yes

• Advertisement

My responses in this thread will be limited to discussion of any litter-prevention ideas and initiatives.

My responses in this thread will be limited to discussion of any litter-prevention ideas and initiatives.

Same. Any suggestions? After Portmarnock today!

Any suggestions? After Portmarnock today!

Was reading about that this evening and thinking how lucky we are not to have the same volume of people hitting the beach.

Hopefully, Greystones is too far out on the DART for that volume of teenagers to travel to "celebrate" their final day of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The beach yesterday, what a place to be! Mind you, it was busier on the other side of the lens

8899150595_ea99f1fec1.jpg

Advertisement