Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times - Take Five

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭

Anybody here peruse the Take Five article in the IT every Thursday? Even back in my college days (pre celtic tiger), I used to read it and guffaw at the ludicrous comparisons between what you got for your money in Ireland and what you got elsewhere.

This week

This one is for €750k and is out between Rush & Skerries. Don't get me wrong. This is a very nice house but for that money, I'd want sea views at least!

2RxUSgG.jpg
    IT have the wrong image so I kindly went and did their legwork for them.

This one is a 16th century riad in Morocco.

4EfcnTS.jpg

Three storey villa in Alrgarve

029nkqK.jpg

Chateau in Sarlat in the Dordogne. I've been to the area on holidays and it's probably the best part of France really.

wxUmZu7.jpg

What's this Skippy? You mean I can live within half an hour of Manhattan, the greatest city in the western world in a large family house with sea views for the same price as I can live down a laneway in the outer subhurbs of a small city on the edge of Europe?

YSEYeXg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

750?! Seriously? Very similar one in Gorey went for about 250 last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ah Ted1. Why did you delete your post? Did you realise how much of a tryhard it was?

Anyway, the French place you looked at and turned your nose up at has had a price drop to €410k. They did well to hide the industrial estate and sewage treatment plant in fairness. Maybe you could show us on the map where they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I used to always read the Take 5 section when I bought the Times up until a few years ago.
    Thing that always struck me about it was that a lot of the time they aren't comparing like with like. Often it is comprised of average 3 bed suburban Dublin family home Vs holiday homes in Sicily, Tuscany, Florida etc. You might be able to buy a riad in Morocco for €750k but that is useless to someone unless the location allows them to work in a job paying €150kpa so they can service the loan on the house. They are comparing a house in Dublin where high paying jobs are common with areas of outstanding scenic beauty where jobs aren't so common.

A fairer comparison would be to show what €400k buys you in Dublin and what it buys you in Donegal.

All that said the above example of the house outside Manhattan is compelling, if only you could get a work visa easily it would be looking very tempting to many right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Just stating the obvious here but the value of the houses on low lying coastal areas will have reduced dramatically due to increasing hurricane risk and rising sea levels. Can they even get insurance?

maninasia wrote: »
    Just stating the obvious here but the value of the houses on low lying coastal areas will have reduced dramatically due to increasing hurricane risk and rising sea levels. Can they even get insurance?

The Staten Island house? Emerson hill is well inland.

• Advertisement

This week for "around" €845,000.

iodkzbW.jpg
    Six-bed detached house at 36 Friarsland Road, Goatstown, Dublin 14

gooUoyL.jpg
    US, California: The design of this house in Los Angeles pays tribute to architect Frank Lloyd Wright, who pioneered modern homes that hugged the US landscape. Chelan Place, in the Outpost Estates area of the Hollywood Hills, has a living room with fireplace, while the simple kitchen, dining room and living room are open plan. Glass doors open to a porch. The main bedroom suite has views out through angled glass with a seamless joint and the second bedroom opens to a small hedged garden.
    Price €851,725

cBUrnWc.jpg
    France, Saone-et-Loire: This imposing 19th century pile, on 2.5 acres, comes with various outbuildings including a two-bedroom chambres d’hote and separate apartment offering rental income. The main 480sq m (5,166sq ft) residence has a study, living room , dining room, kitchen with breakfast area and utility. There are three bedrooms on the first floor and two bathrooms. On the second floor is a reception room, study, two bedrooms and a shower room.
    Price €850,000

IhoYb2L.jpg
    Italy: Within the pink shell of this house, renovated by its architect owner, is an elegant interior of tiled and mosaic floors, exposed timber ceilings, and white plaster walls and vaulted ceilings. It is near the coast between Nice and Genoa. It includes the main house and a one-bedroom home tucked behind it (at this angle). The main house has a living room, kitchen, dining room, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, cellar and roof terrace.
    Price €880,000

OjEipNg.jpg
    Portugal, Algarve: The original brickwork was retained in the restoration of this traditional house near Sao Bras, a historic area that was the birthplace of Moorish poet Ibne Ammar in the 12th century. The property includes a main house and a one-bedroom annex. The main house has three bedrooms and the two properties share six bathrooms. It sits on its own land and overlooks a pool.
    Price €850,000

Like the Loire one. Now it's off to the bank for a mortgage!

This week's entries:
    Lisney is seeking €425,000 for this three-bedroom house at 10 Lansdowne Park, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. We find homes at a similar price in Turkey, France, Germany and Spain
    Looks like an ex-council house to me and bloody hell, is it small.
    image.jpg

TURKEY
    On a hill overlooking the port of Gocek is this four-bedroom villa designed in a contemporary sleek style outside and in (where the palette involves marble, ceramics and wood). It sits on 500sq m of land that includes a garden and pool. A decked area beside the pool has been designed as an extension of the villa, giving the feeling of an outdoor room extending from an indoor one.
    Yt7lI3m.jpg

FRANCE
    This 213-year-old maison de maitre is on half an acre of land with an enclosed garden and outbuilding. The 180sq m (1,937sq ft) of living space includes a kitchen, living room, dining room, bedroom on the ground floor and, on the floor above, four bedrooms, a bathroom and shower room. It is 15 minutes from Limoges and five minutes from a motorway and station.
    yjrcgrk.jpg

GERMANY
    On the river and across a square from the Berliner Ensemble theatre, famous for its link with playwright Brecht, is the chic Yoo Berlin scheme (on the site of a demolished Max Reinhardt theatre). Philippe Starck had a stamp on the interiors of this 10-storey building with 87 apartments with one to four bedrooms, ranging in size range from 62sq m to 339sq m (667sq ft to 3,648sq ft). Many have balconies and river views.
    heN4vFJ.jpg

SPAIN
    In the countryside, a walk from Teulada town, this four-bedroom finca, has original features such as wooden shutters and a bread oven. A gated drive leads to a covered car port (for three cars) where steps rise to the house. The ground floor of the house has a living room (with beamed ceiling and wood-burning stove), a dining room and kitchen; down a hall is a bedroom/study. There are three bedrooms (one en suite) and a bathroom on the first floor. The garden includes a swimming pool and courtyard.
    4bmCz1P.jpg

Think I'm going with the Spanish one today.

Advertisement