Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why say fibre modem? its a modem/router

• 30-05-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

All the posts on fibre refer to fibre modem either with eircom or VF but as these have lan ports they are in fact modem/routers combined.

Why say modem? People will think they need to add a router but this is not the case.

Am I missing something?

And can I just buy a fibre modem that will work and then connect my own fibre router? Or better still can I get my own fibre modem/router and hook that up?

What are the set up protocols? What would I need to enter in the settings to get connected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd imagine the reason they only say modem just to simplify the advertising.

I got an email from vodafone letting me know I'd be getting a free upgrade to fibre when it become available in my area. If i have to buy a new modem / router it kind of defeats the purpose of a free upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom plan on using vectoring, a system that actively manages and suppresses crosstalk on all the lines on a given cabinet.

This will allow speeds of up to 100mbit/s instead if the initial 70mbit/s.

It requires particular types of modems and non-compliant modems would cause vectoring to fail.

For that reason, they're not keen on anyone using their own modems as it could 'contaminate' the network as vectoring wouldn't be possible.

The correct term is a home/small office (SoHo) 'access gateway'.

The device is a VDSL2 modem, router, wifi hub and VoIP analogue terminal adaptor (not yet used).

I prefer the way in France they just call it something like "live box" - no confusion about technology.

People also call random terms for things incorrectly. I mean for example, not every vacuum cleaner is a Hoover!

'Modem' in this case is just shorthand!

They could have called it something cool though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

solair perfect, that may save me a few bob, i have the vf huawei 568c and its due for installation next week so I am trying to get set up but there is very little info when I log on to router and its either american terminology or I am out of touch. Port forwarding is port mapping, then you have customization or application. All I want to do is set up port forwarding, dynamic dns, secure wireless access points and static ip addresses for xbox, wii, ipad, laptop etc. I currently have a netgear dgnd3300 modem/router and its easy peasy to configure.

The eircom router looks a bit easier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    solair perfect, that may save me a few bob, i have the vf huawei 568c and its due for installation next week so I am trying to get set up but there is very little info when I log on to router and its either american terminology or I am out of touch. Port forwarding is port mapping, then you have customization or application. All I want to do is set up port forwarding, dynamic dns, secure wireless access points and static ip addresses for xbox, wii, ipad, laptop etc. I currently have a netgear dgnd3300 modem/router and its easy peasy to configure.

The eircom router looks a bit easier!!

The Huawei device Vodafone are using does all that stuff, but I haven't seen one first hand so I can't help you.

Maybe post something on the Broadband or Vodafone talk 2 forums and see if someone who has one might be able to help?

Eircom's modem's made by Zyxel btw, but they're both pretty much identical specification. I haven't seen the Zyxel software so I can't comment on which is better.

They both seem pretty fully-functional home-hub type devices though.

--- It's not self-install though coz the eircom crew will have to test your line and patch your phone line over to the VDSL2 (fibre) service at the local cabinet. They'll usually install a new phone socket too (it filters all the other sockets in your house and protects the VDSL modem from picking up interference generated by your internal wiring)

Advertisement