Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Services

• 30-05-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in dire need of a new broadband provider as our current one is horrendously rubbish with no internet available for most of the week. Been happening for months and we've called them about and they say there is an issue with our line. That was three months ago... The one we're with is NetOne. I live in a rural area on the shore road (cul-de-sac) in the Cooley Pennisula and the problem is we can't get a broadband through the telephone line as it's too far away from the point and it's very weak. Even the signal on the housephone is low and sometimes you can't even talk to anyone. I was just wondering what broadband provider would anybody recommend. I've looked at satelite services but damn, they are expensive even for low packages. Is there anyone who can provide services like NetOne but give a better service..?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

If there's a problem with your line, switching providers is not going to fix it. Get your ISP to get onto Eircom about sorting it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Eircom can't do anything more about it. We've rang them countless times and that's the same answer we get everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If the phone line is terrible then you'll have to go with a mobile broadband provider, but if you're in a rural area it might not be any better. O2, 3 and vodafone tend to have maps you can check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Net1 is a wireless provider. You don't have a line (well you might a short one in your house, but that is a different story), you have an antenna outside and that is pointed at a mast somewhere else. So I'm guessing they were talking about line of sight instead.

My advice would be to talk to your neighbors and see who they are with and what their experience is like. There are other providers, but their coverage changes in different parts of the country so it is hard for anyone to recommend any other providers to you. (Imagine and Digiweb are probably the biggest fixed wireless providers though, so I'd try both of them anyway).

You could also look yourself and see if you can figure out what the line of sight issue might be. If you have a big tree in your garden and the antenna is pointed straight at it, then that can cause interference. You should really get Net1 out at some point, they might be able to put up a bigger antenna or move it to a different part of the house in order to get around any obstructions.

After that your next choice would be to try mobile broadband. But generally that is an inferior product to fixed wireless, so I'd try and exhaust my options there first.

Mobile networks is definitely not a go-go as we have 7 devices using the internet at the same time seeing that they operate on date charges and plus we live very close to the border and 90% of the time, we could be on northern providers. We don't have a satellite but have a receiver box installed on the north-side of the house. I don't know where the transmitter is but I'd imagine its somewhere on the mountains (live on the shore, maybe that would affect the signal?) There's five houses on our lane and they don't have broadband as they are retired, old-age couples living away peacefully in the countryside.

I'm looking at DigiWeb and they seem to do a very reasonable price for their packages. I think I'll investigate it more and give them a ring tomorrow to see how they can get the broadband installed in our house.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll only get fixed wireless.

Best bet is to get your receiver retargeted.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll only get fixed wireless.

Best bet is to get your receiver retargeted.

Okay, can this be done by myself or do I need to get NetOne personnel to do it for?

Advertisement