Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Bank Holiday Weekend Dublin

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and a few friends (from Cork) are heading to the ''big smoke'' this June Bank Holiday weekend....i'm really looking forward to it, as it's been ages since i've been there!

We are a group of mid/late twenties girls and we are looking for some nice spots to go out on both Saturday and Sunday nights. We will be staying near Camden Street, so if anyone could recommend a few nice places (late bars, preferrably) we wouldn't be to interested in clubs. I want to get to mix with some of the lovely locals and actually spark up a conversation without being drown out by terribly loud music!

Also, any ideas what we can do during the day on Sunday? Any events/festivals etc that we could go to?

And finally, any advice on nice places to have a meal out (early birds etc) that is not overly expensive! and places to have breakfast?

Appreciate any replies in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Not really a late bar, but Big's Bar on Ellis Quay is having their grand opening this weekend, all drinks are €3.50 Saturday and Sunday.

If you're around Camden Street then try Whelans, Solas, Anseo, the Village and George Bernard Shaw. They are all decent spots within stagger distance of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Thanks, cool stuff...i've heard Whelans was a good place to head out! We just want someone decent..where nice professional friendly people go lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Thanks, cool stuff...i've heard Whelans was a good place to head out! We just want someone decent..where nice professional friendly people go lol

Whelans is really good, it may be a slightly quieter weekend with lots of people at Forbidden Fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Myself and a few friends (from Cork) are heading to the ''big smoke'' this June Bank Holiday weekend....i'm really looking forward to it, as it's been ages since i've been there!

We are a group of mid/late twenties girls and we are looking for some nice spots to go out on both Saturday and Sunday nights. We will be staying near Camden Street, so if anyone could recommend a few nice places (late bars, preferrably) we wouldn't be to interested in clubs. I want to get to mix with some of the lovely locals and actually spark up a conversation without being drown out by terribly loud music!

Also, any ideas what we can do during the day on Sunday? Any events/festivals etc that we could go to?

And finally, any advice on nice places to have a meal out (early birds etc) that is not overly expensive! and places to have breakfast?

Appreciate any replies in advance :D

if you are looking for indie type places, Camden street in the village quarter is a great spot.

if you are looking more at trendy bars with dance type music and professional customers, I would look around Grafton street. Namely, Dawson street = no.37, Samsara and café en seine, grafton lounge - all very attractive bars and good atmosphere, also the bars around South William street/Fade street = Market Bar, secret bar, fade street social, Dakota and lost society.

you also have the bars and clubs on Harcourt street - d2, diceys garden, odeon, everleigh gardens, the black door etc.

take a look at www.entertainment.ie for more info and details on whats on sunday day.

as far as food goes, most places do early birds if you eat before 7:30 you can get great deals! bear in mind there are 700 plus restaurants just in the city centre, so trying to list a few you may like is very difficult!

www.menupages.ie is a good point of resource though. or let us know a type of cuisine to narrow it down a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

The Bernard Shaw would be the best pub around there, but it doesnt stay open club hours so maybe start your night there. As said in a previous post forbidden fruit might impact how busy it was. If I were the OP I'd be hitting forbidden fruit in this weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

http://www.earlybirds.ie/dublin_1_d1_early_bird_menu_lunch_set_dinner_christmas_restaurants.html

Lots here, be careful, not all early birds are available on Saturdays. Personally, I like Fallon & Byrnes pre-theatre, used to be all week, but call them to check.

http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/section/212

777 might be a good option for a gang looking to meet others, it's very relaxed, informal and good fun. They have a great Sunday €7.77 deal.

http://www.777.ie

Breakfast - I'd hit Avoca on Suffolk st. (upstairs all the way) for breakfast. Don't let the prices scare you, the portions are massive, if there are five of you, get three breakfasts. There are extra sides available too and coffee refills are free. There's everything from pancakes, continental, crepes to traditional breakfasts. Lemon on Dawson st. is good too. Great food for someone who's been out the night before, great coffee and a good bench/table thing going on for a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Get Day tickets for Forbidden Fruit on Sunday in Kilmainham, great little festival and right in the city.

There's then an after party thing on for it in the city.

Check it out...http://forbiddenfruit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

If you're staying around Camden street i'd suggest Tiesan for your sunday breakfast.

They do an awesome fry-up "Breakfast in a skillet"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Riverfest is on down the liffey towards the docklands. Should be plenty to see and do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Another Suggestion for something to do on bank holiday Monday is the Bloom Festival in the phoenix park.
    info herehttp://bloominthepark.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Thanks for all the helpfull tips!

We ended up going to a good few bars over the weekend...Number 37, Cafe En Seine (which i absolutely love!!! amazing interior!!!), Whelans, Flannerys, Copper Face Jacks (i've heard so much about this place that i had to try it!!!...it's definately an experience to remember lol). We got a spin out to Bray and tried two places there...can't remember the names, they were ok, but i prefer the City!

Didn't get to explore much in Dublin as we didn't fall into bed until after 6am!

Being a proud Corkoain...all i can say is that Cork has alot to live up to!!! We have now decided that we will be frequenting Dublin at least once a month lol

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

It is a great city.

The pubs and bars of Dublin on a rare warm summers night take some beating. And plenty more places for you to try on your future visits!

Glad you enjoyed your weekend :)

Advertisement