Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Week old kittens with no mother

• 30-05-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

We've just been adopted by two 6 week old kittens who didn't have the best start in life. Someone tried to kill them in a river before they were saved by a dog who pulled them out.

One is very curious and the other is a bit quiet but both are gorgeous. They were bound to be nervous when we brought them home but have been affectionate with us and have purred when petted. However, they keep hiding on us as well :) and don't feel completely comfortable yet.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to handle them? We are experienced with cats but we've never had any that didn't have a mother.

We're specifically interested in things like:

Any way to make them feel more comfortable
    How they learn to clean themselves and if there's anything we can do to help teach them
    Any other advice for kittens of this age

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Give that dog a bone!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dubhain

endacl wrote: »
    Give that dog a bone!

I know! Animals can be so amazing (and some humans so evil), he apparently rescued them one by one, with the plastic bag they were dumped in still stuck around one of the little kitties legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd contact DSPCA. This won't be a new scenario for them. Well, maybe the dog bit would be...

(01) 499 4700

I believe that was done by the dog owner, as fortunately for the little kitties, they work in that area and so knew what to do to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Fair play to you. It's natural for them to hide after what they've been through. If they don't poo, they'll need to be stimulated to do so by rubbing their anus (with a bit of moist cloth). This is why you see mother cats licking their kitten's bottoms. Eventually they'll go themselves. Best of luck with them.

• Advertisement

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. It's natural for them to hide after what they've been through. If they don't poo, they'll need to be stimulated to do so by rubbing their anus (with a bit of moist cloth). This is why you see mother cats licking their kitten's bottoms. Eventually they'll go themselves. Best of luck with them.

Thanks, yeah they're actually using the litter tray thank God, but they don't seem to be cleaning themselves afterwards or after they eat...though maybe they are when they're hiding, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

In late April we got a kitten who was only a week and a half with no mother. We had to bottle feed him, stimulate him into peeing and pooing, all that sort of thing. He's actually at 6 weeks now and is fairly independent, as in he can eat canned food and no longer needs the bottle, can run and play and goes to the bathroom on his own.

Your two should be fairly similar. They should have their baby teeth and be able to eat canned food. It's good that they're using the litter box and have each other to play with. You'll want to handle them to get them used to being handled, especially if you don't intend on keeping them. And get them toys and play with them a lot so that they learn that humans are fun! Our little guy loves to run around and pounce and he's full of confidence. Playing will help build their confidence and trust in you. Kittens especially seems to like the toys that dangle off of sticks. That offers a lot of opportunities for chasing, jumping, pouncing, tug-of-war.

Really, they should know how to clean themselves. Our little guy was separated from his mom and siblings at 1.5 weeks and he's good about grooming. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet because it sounds like they're just getting acquainted with you. I also notice that our kitten is very quick about grooming because he's much smaller than our two adult cats. So it may be happening and you may just be missing it.

I would take them to a vet soon too, have them looked over and ask the vet for any advice. Our little guy will be going for his first visit very soon (vaccinations!). But really, if they're 6 weeks, they should be beyond the stage where they need intense mama care, and now you just want to make sure they're eating, pooing, and get them used to human interaction and playing.

Oh great, that's really good to know that yours just knew how to groom himself, metaoblivia and so young when you got him. I probably don't need to worry about that then. I'm not sure exactly what age ours where when taken from their mam, but could have been similar, as whoever did it didn't care about their survival.

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Well done for taking on these two wee mites. I think a lot of kittens this age have worms ( inherited from their mother) so a vet visit would be important.

A clear indication would be if their little bellies are quite swollen all the time yet they're always hungry. Worms mean they won't be able to absorb the proper nutrients from their food which is even worse when you consider they not even getting their ideal diet i.e. mums milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

aw! my two are six weeks old too and they're orphans who needed to be hand-raised. They wash each other since last week - before that I used to wash their faces with a small round make up pad - they liked having their faces wiped so if your guys are messy after eating maybe just give them a little wipe? do they get food on their faces?
    if they look clean they must be doing ok! Sometimes my guys need a little bum wipe if they have a soft poo!!! mine are very playful and have discovered the fun of wedging themselves behind the bookcase !!! they also love under the sofa and even better - inside the sofa! our other cat had made a hole in it! they seem to love those tight spaces for some reason! they also love my laptop cable.
    its great your guys have each other too as they will learn off each other :) mine are into batting things that crinkle! paper etc and chasing a piece of string - they love toys that crinkle too! its such a sweet age :) im sure they will settle in with you - maybe give them some chopped up chicken breast as a treat from your hand every now and then so they learn that you are a lovely person to be around ;)
    do your guys have a scratching post? mine adore this cardboard one a friend of mine gave them - i think she might have got it in Dunnes?

• Advertisement

ps oh my god - that dog story is so beautiful!! tears in my eyes ! animals are amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's sad to hear that people are still doing that bag in the river thing. It's such a deplorable act.

I think cleaning and grooming comes natural to a cat, they'll begin doing it themselves when they get a little older. It's lovely to get them so young, there'll be a really strong between you and them if you decide to keep them.

lubie76 wrote: »
    Well done for taking on these two wee mites. I think a lot of kittens this age have worms ( inherited from their mother) so a vet visit would be important.

A clear indication would be if their little bellies are quite swollen all the time yet they're always hungry. Worms mean they won't be able to absorb the proper nutrients from their food which is even worse when you consider they not even getting their ideal diet i.e. mums milk.

They've had some oral medicine but we've to bring them back in 2 weeks for more. The little girl's belly was quite swollen but i think she just ate too much, at least I hope that's all it is, but will definitely keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

Fitzg wrote: »
    aw! my two are six weeks old too and they're orphans who needed to be hand-raised. They wash each other since last week - before that I used to wash their faces with a small round make up pad - they liked having their faces wiped so if your guys are messy after eating maybe just give them a little wipe? do they get food on their faces?
    if they look clean they must be doing ok! Sometimes my guys need a little bum wipe if they have a soft poo!!! mine are very playful and have discovered the fun of wedging themselves behind the bookcase !!! they also love under the sofa and even better - inside the sofa! our other cat had made a hole in it! they seem to love those tight spaces for some reason! they also love my laptop cable.
    its great your guys have each other too as they will learn off each other :) mine are into batting things that crinkle! paper etc and chasing a piece of string - they love toys that crinkle too! its such a sweet age :) im sure they will settle in with you - maybe give them some chopped up chicken breast as a treat from your hand every now and then so they learn that you are a lovely person to be around ;)
    do your guys have a scratching post? mine adore this cardboard one a friend of mine gave them - i think she might have got it in Dunnes?

Oh my God, it's like you've just described my 2. They got under my coffee table which is only about 2.5 inches from the ground....how they got in there I don't know. They're gas, they've so much energy and never stop playing. :)

I think I'm going to have to show them how to clean their bottoms as they get a bit messy down there and don't seem to clean themselves yet. They clean their faces OK though.

BTW you're little guy is gorgeous, beautiful colour. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. These little guys are doing really well and seem to be bonding with us just fine now, they fell asleep on top of us for an hour yesterday evening which was so cute and the little lady licks my neck when she's tired (in place of her mom I suppose)

I can never find them in the morning though to give them a cuddle, they always find some new place to hide, so my next endeavor is to get them to sleep in their bed.

I'm absolutely besotted with them and really glad there appears to be no ill effects from their terrible start in life. I've included a pic of them so you can see who I've been talking about.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Ahhh they are lovely! Well done for taking them on. Poor little things, glad they are safe and loved now.

oh my god they are beyooooooooooooootiful!!! wow! :) one of my guys has that slightly longer hair that your two have and I think it makes it harder for them to keep their butts clean - so yes! a little wiping is a good idea :) I recommend the Tesco pack of make up sponges ! all the right sizes for kitty bums!! lol I'm sure boots do similar stuff. aww, I'l so glad you're besotted with them!! I can totally see why.
    Our two sleep at night in a large dog crate with their bed, litter tray and blankets. The same friend who gave us the scratcher lent us the crate - she is an absolute animal angel and definitely the cat-goddess-mother of these two!!
    I don't know how you would even begin to try to get them to sleep in their beds at night. I think cats have their own strong ideas about what makes a good bed so I'd be inclined to just let them at it - they are probably seeking out places that they feel secure in and as they get older and more settled in that will change. As long as they are safe and reappearing when breakfast is served I'd just meet them where they are.
    They're so beautiful!! and they look bigger than mine :) will you keep them??

Thanks again for the tips I'll pick some of those up on my way home and give him a helping hand tonight. :) Yes the boy has longer hair so we're going to get him used to being brushed while he's still a nipper, as otherwise i think they get a bit matted and he won't like being brushed as teenager.

I think you're right about why they're hiding at night time..I think I'll get a box for them to get into tonight rather than a bed, as the room is probably just too big a place for them to 'risk' sleeping in the open...god love them :D
    Fitzg wrote: »
    will you keep them??

Oh most definitely. We lost our other cat (9 years old) 2 months ago to cancer and we were heart broken...still are, so these little 2 are bringing such fun back to the house. We've got a big garden and a cat flap for when they're older so i'm sure it's going to be lovely for them here..I hope anyway.

Best of luck with your 2 as well, they're really great when you have them in pairs, aren't they?

great :)
    yes one of mine has long hair too and I'm using a toothbrush to brush him gently when we're snuggling. They are just hilarious together - chasing each other around - all you can hear in our sitting room right now is the pitter patter of tiny paws and grumble wrestling noises! only a six week old kitten has what it takes to match another six week old kitten!!!
    good luck with the box tonight :) hope it helps them settle in.
    I'm delighted you're keeping them both :)
    Sorry to hear about losing your cat to cancer - I'm glad you were able to take these two in though - it sounds like they've truly landed in a great place xx Em

Advertisement