Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hymer 494 2004 taps

• 30-05-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a tap which is leaking to the underside and flooding inside the unit of my 2004 Hymer 494 kitchen. I will either need to replace the tap or redo the connection between the pipe and the tap. I could be wrong, but the problem is that I cannot find a way of accessing the underside of the tap to undo it without taking the oven out! I don’t really want to do this as it means disconnecting the gas pipe.
    Is there anyone familiar with this van and the procedure required to get at the underside of the tap without taking the van apart? Hymer said they charge £50 per hour, if it took them all day I’m looking at £400 labour for fitting a tap + materials

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

pcspike wrote: »
    I have a tap which is leaking to the underside and flooding inside the unit of my 2004 Hymer 494 kitchen. I will either need to replace the tap or redo the connection between the pipe and the tap. I could be wrong, but the problem is that I cannot find a way of accessing the underside of the tap to undo it without taking the oven out! I don’t really want to do this as it means disconnecting the gas pipe.
    Is there anyone familiar with this van and the procedure required to get at the underside of the tap without taking the van apart? Hymer said they charge £50 per hour, if it took them all day I’m looking at £400 labour for fitting a tap + materials

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcspike

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Any pictures?

I do have a couple of photos, but as a new member I don't thing I can post then until 25 posts. I could email if I had your address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have a look at THIS VIDEO.

I had a similar leak and it was caused by a bad cartridge, leaks can also be caused by the cartridge simply working loose or the seals failing.
    I found it impossible to get a replacement cartridge but was lucky to find a cheap tap of a similar type that had the same cartridge and I was able to swap it in.

After looking at the video check your tap and make sure the cartridge is held in tightly and the seals are in good condition. It's all doable from the top and unless your leak is from where the supply pipes screw in to the bottom (unlikely), you should be able to fix it without having to dismantle half your motorhome.

Good luck.

Advertisement