Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Food - changing career

Options
  • 30-05-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Without too big a spiel I've decided I want my career to be in the food and beverage industry, ultimately love to have my own gourmet food store/deli but thats way down the line.
    My goal now is to get as much experience as possible in food retailers, restaurants, cafes, bakeries, butchers etc. but I'm having the obvious problem of getting in the door.
    Approached a lot of places offering to do free work just to get experience but most aren't interested. Anyway I'm not deterred in the slightest but would love some advice from people in the industry whether they be chefs, cafe or food store owners, whoever really.
    Also considering formal education in DIT, applied for Culinary Entrepreneurship and Culinary Arts Cert, got the first one but waiting on the second.
    Again any advice from anyone in the know would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I reckon you should try local hotels, any hotel I've worked in has almost always had someone on work experience etc. I'd usually try and avoid working for no money unless it's a good quality place because you're going to get worked to the bone for no money and you probably won't learn much.
    I'm working in a hotel for a few years now and I've always found other chefs and the likes are always mad to teach a new guy a few tricks so that's where i'd try.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The posters in the F&D forums can tell you how to make the best chili, or recommend a great food mixer, but for advice on starting a business - here is a much better place.

Moved from Food & Drink.

Best of luck,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Without too big a spiel I've decided I want my career to be in the food and beverage industry, ultimately love to have my own gourmet food store/deli but thats way down the line.
    My goal now is to get as much experience as possible in food retailers, restaurants, cafes, bakeries, butchers etc. but I'm having the obvious problem of getting in the door.
    Approached a lot of places offering to do free work just to get experience but most aren't interested. Anyway I'm not deterred in the slightest but would love some advice from people in the industry whether they be chefs, cafe or food store owners, whoever really.
    Also considering formal education in DIT, applied for Culinary Entrepreneurship and Culinary Arts Cert, got the first one but waiting on the second.
    Again any advice from anyone in the know would be great, thanks.

Hi OP
    Where are you based?
    Regards Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Thanks for the replies. Based in Dublin but I'm willing to move to get a start at this somewhere. Originally from Clonmel so I'm fairly familiar with that part of the country.

As for working for free, I understand that it's not ideal but I am new to this industry and if it means getting my foot in the door then so be it. I know it will be tough but it's better than sitting around waiting for a paid job in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I once got a job in a bakery based on only retail experience and a desperate need/want to learn more about the business. I happened to hand my CV to the owner and explain how much of my spare time went on baking/cooking and how badly I wanted to get into it. She hired me over loads who had relevant experience.

I left after 3 days as really she wanted a kitchen skivvy/waitress which I didn't think the job would be, she had advertised for a baker/cake decorator and I am a useless waitress, but I got the job in first place! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I hear what you are syaing and I have had a certain amount of luck talking to people but the problem is getting a job or even work experience. Everywhere I have been to have not had a job on offer and I'm just offering to do anything but most places are understandably full and have no need for someone wanting to learn.
    Also do people think doing a culinary course in DIT would help my chances of getting into the industry?

Advertisement