Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yellow bellied sliders,outside during day tank at night

Options
  • 30-05-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. I have just rehomed 3 ybs from someome who wasnt really caring for them.i had two when i was younger but unfortunately they had to be rehomed because i was just too young and inexperienced and it wasnt fair on them!what i want to know is could i have them set up in the aquarium from evening to next morning and then leave them outside with a small pond for them to lie in the sun and chill out.i have just made a little 5x5 foot enclosure and would like to make a pond area inside that since the weather is so nice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

i did the very same a few years back when i had my sliders, i built a box much like yours and sunk a wash basin into the ground with water for them and they loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gtok

eg6 vtec wrote: »
    i did the very same a few years back when i had my sliders, i built a box much like yours and sunk a wash basin into the ground with water for them and they loved it

Thanks for the reply!and did you just put them in for the sun and put them in the tank in the evening?i dug out a little trench about a foot wide x 3 long and about a foot deep.put some pond liner down.just need some flat rocks now to hold the liner.il get a pic up later im sure they will enjiy it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

I have 3 YBS and leave them out during sunny days without water for 4 to 5 hours...they would spend hours out of water basking in the wild.My ones start to bury themselves in grassy corners of the garden when they have had enough...or climb through the cat flap & hide in the shed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

gtok wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!and did you just put them in for the sun and put them in the tank in the evening?i dug out a little trench about a foot wide x 3 long and about a foot deep.put some pond liner down.just need some flat rocks now to hold the liner.il get a pic up later im sure they will enjiy it though!!

no i built a surround like your one out of MDF it was about 4 foot square and the basin was in the center full of water with a few rocks in it, 3-4 hours at a time they where out and loved it then back into the tank for a swim, now i only put them out on warm days so they where not out every day

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gtok

eg6 vtec wrote: »
    no i built a surround like your one out of MDF it was about 4 foot square and the basin was in the center full of water with a few rocks in it, 3-4 hours at a time they where out and loved it then back into the tank for a swim, now i only put them out on warm days so they where not out every day

Thanks for your insight.always good to hear from people with more experience than yourself!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement