Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it normal for pixmania to ask for passport before sending out the phone?

Options
  • 30-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ordered from Pixmania?
    I ordered a phone.
    They rang me up to ask me to confirm my address and age. I gave them both then they said they will send me an email to confirm other details.
    And they were asking for a passport/drivers license and utility bill.

I just find it rather odd I've bought many things online on various websites never has that happened.
    Anyway I sent an email for them to cancel it as I'm not sending the passport details or just send the phone as I confirmed my address already and that no other company online usually does this.

The money is pending my account to be sent to them.I know a while ago I maybe a few years ago I ordered something wasn't asked for that. But it wasn't a phone. Now I'm hoping they cancel the item even though it'll cost more I'm really wary about ordering from them.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i've had to do it with them in the past (for a camera)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Oh I just cancelled the order because I didn't want to send a passport I've bought something ages ago and didn't need a passport for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Oh I just cancelled the order because I didn't want to send a passport I've bought something ages ago and didn't need a passport for it.

Fraud is rampant these days. High value items are being purchaed from dodgy credit cards etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Are they liable in cases of fraud? I thought the bank (or the cardholder) took the hit?

polaris68 wrote: »
    Are they liable in cases of fraud? I thought the bank (or the cardholder) took the hit?

No. There are many types of fraud. For example, I could use your CC to purchase high end product, say a €3k pc. I get product and disappear. You issue chargeback, and rightly so. Who gets stung for the money? The retailer, one way or another including the expense of dealing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Were you having the item sent to a different address to that on your credit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Were you having the item sent to a different address to that on your credit card ?

No it was the same and as I hadn't heard of other companies asking for passports and I've ordered many things thought it was best to cancel.

amdaley28 wrote: »

AFAIK, retails can only confirm to the county of a credit card, not a full address.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I've brought in items from all over the world & I've never had any trouble with passports or any such thing.
    I find the best way to pay for anything is through Paypal.

Advertisement