Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some types of businesses quote prices ex-Vat to the public?

Options
  • 30-05-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

Am particularly thinking of solicitors here.....

I've been ringing around getting prices.....they all all gave me a price ex vat.

They give me a price. I ask is VAT included. They say, no VAT is extra.

Whats the point? I have to pay the VAT also, its not optional.......why are they quoting me a price ex Vat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have a look at this: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/si/0009.html. The one-line explanatory summarises it neatly:
    This Order requires that all retail prices marked on goods or prices displayed or quoted at the retail level and all charges for services displayed or quoted should be tax-inclusive.
    I have bolded the key phrase. The order does not apply to business-to-business selling.

It's a bit disingenuous of a solicitor to treat all price quotations as exempt from the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Whenever I quote, I ALWAYS state if the price is EX-VAT. If it includes VAT, I don't bother saying so.

Whenever I ask for a price, I ALWAYS ask if VAT is included. Once bitten, twice shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

goz83 wrote: »
    Whenever I quote, I ALWAYS state if the price is EX-VAT. If it includes VAT, I don't bother saying so.

Whenever I ask for a price, I ALWAYS ask if VAT is included. Once bitten, twice shy.

Reminds me of a time I was haggling to buy a rug in a Moroccan market.

Everything in the market was in Euros.

Haggled him down from 800 to 250.....went to pay......"oh no sir, it is 250 sterling".....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I am just used to it. Work in a school and many companies treat us a business, but we pay full VAT. Always ask.

Advertisement