Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike behaving badly

• 30-05-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

So a question about performance.

My bike is very spluttery lately, starts off ok but within 5 min driving its a nightmere. I changed the spark plugs, air/oil filter but still bad.

Any ideas on what I can look at ot what ir might be ?

Its a 10 year old Honda Hornet.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sounds like your choke could be sticking. Or your carbs are dirty and maybe need balancing, have you checked the float bowl to see if it's clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dirty fuel....was it okay before the service. Leads might not be sitting properly or you got the wrong plugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Touch the downpipes after start-up to determine if it's misfiring on one or more cylinders. If a cyl is down, the pipe will be cold. If it's intermittent miss, good luck! It could be a split carb boot, bad fuel, crud in the carbs or a long list of deteriorated components. Dodgy leads, plugs, coils regulator/ rectifier.

Honestly man, I think you need to get the help of a grown-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

I had the same problem with my GSX 400... the problem was a float in one of the carbs was sticking making the air fuel mix too rich... I got the carb cleaned out and it worked fine for a few weeks then it started happening again, started fine, ran fine, but if i stood idling at traffic lights the bowl would flood again. I took it out on the motorway, gave it a good hard run and its fine now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I had it on kle 500 long time a go. Hairline crack, loosing compresion, when engine warmed up. Driving like a beast first 5 mins then missfiring and loosing power. But it can be pretty much anything....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

cantdecide wrote: »
    Touch the downpipes after start-up to determine if it's misfiring on one or more cylinders. If a cyl is down, the pipe will be cold. If it's intermittent miss, good luck! It could be a split carb boot, bad fuel, crud in the carbs or a long list of deteriorated components. Dodgy leads, plugs, coils regulator/ rectifier.

Honestly man, I think you need to get the help of a grown-up...

Thanks to everyone for the replies, gave me somethings to check out. Dodgy leads .... one of the leads connecting the spark plug wouldnt 'clip' on like the other ones. felt very loose, could be that ?

Nice one guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

can splash water on the downpipes and see which ones evapourate first, to find the hot ones - beats touching them by hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks to everyone for the replies, gave me somethings to check out. Dodgy leads .... one of the leads connecting the spark plug wouldnt 'clip' on like the other ones. felt very loose, could be that ?

Could be part of the reason but maybe not all of it.
    Wossack wrote: »
    can splash water on the downpipes and see which ones evapourate first, to find the hot ones - beats touching them by hand

That's handy if you've been riding. If the bike is only starting it'll be fine to touch the pipes with the back of your hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

Del2005 wrote: »
    Could be part of the reason but maybe not all of it.

That's handy if you've been riding. If the bike is only starting it'll be fine to touch the pipes with the back of your hand.

Yeah, did this at the start up and they all seemed at the same temp. But it does seem to start like that and only gets into trouble during riding.

Advertisement