Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Feedback; Threads and discussions on dogs/dog poo

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

We are asking for some feedback on threads and discussions about dogs and dog poo in this forum. We would like the feedback to be RESPECTFUL, open and honest.

The purpose of the thread is not to discuss dogs or dog poo. It is not to discuss who cleans up after dogs; who doesn't clean up after dogs; why you hate dogs; why you love dogs

It is ONLY to discuss what you think about such threads on this forum.

Again we emphasise that we want RESPECTFUL discussion. In particular please do not name any posters in this thread.

If you feel that you want to discuss something privately about the issue please pm myself and dd9090. We may not respond straight away though until we have discussed the feedback.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Such discussions are not relevant to this forum in my opinion, for 2 main reasons :

1) The majority of perpetrators (well, the perpetrators owners) are most likely not reading this forum

2) The problem isn't exclusive to Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Free speech and all that...let people talk about whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

To be honest these repeat threads are turning me off checking out this forum. Figure its only a matter of time before I lose the run of myself and respond in a way that will force your hand to take action against me.

As above, this is not an issue that is specific to these environs - it is a much wider issue and one that deserves to be raised to the public consciousness but in my opinion these threads (and there have been a few) just serve to detract from this forum as a whole.

Not sure where they belong - Animal & Pet Issues / Politics / Legal Discussion but at this stage surely enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I think these threads are pointless TBH.

There are 2 types of culprits in this; those that walk their dogs, see them pooing and leave it there OR those who let their dogs roam. Either way, both these types will not care less about what is happening and will not do anything about it until they are talked to face-to-face.

Yes there are those that are responsible but that is lost in the argument as they seem to be in the minority.

Then it descends into a free for all about dog poo vs nappies vs general littering.

For example, last week a woman walking her dog and the dog pooed in my front garden. She looked in and saw us looking out and then she walked off. I went out, called up the road after her if she wanted a bag to pick up after her dog. She came bag to tidy up, at which point I told here that I didn't want my kids stepping in her shít in their own garden. And right across the road from the house is a sign about dog fouling the streets and the fine associated with it. Whether she learns from it is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

I thought the ides of Boards was to enable people to talk about various issues in their locality - good bad and indifferent.
    As long as it is not offensive then I personally see no harm.

Perhaps a thread in the Greystones forum for littering issues/being a good neighbour or something could be set up

There are a lot of threads that I think are pointless but hey they mean something to someone else!

If you start blocking topics then where do you stop and surely objectivity ends

Good luck with the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

eigrod wrote: »
    Such discussions are not relevant to this forum in my opinion, for 2 main reasons :

1) The majority of perpetrators (well, the perpetrators owners) are most likely not reading this forum

2) The problem isn't exclusive to Greystones.

1) Then why so many threads?

2) True, but this forum is Greystones exclusive and it's a feedback thread for this area.
    Robertr wrote: »
    Free speech and all that...let people talk about whatever they want.

If that was the case, you would probably not be here. Look at the absolute rubbish you have to go through in the YouTube comments to find any sense, and that's one example of many.

Moderators help keep a quality discussion quality and delete the nonsense that tend to derail threads.
    Taltos wrote: »
    To be honest these repeat threads are turning me off checking out this forum. Figure its only a matter of time before I lose the run of myself and respond in a way that will force your hand to take action against me.

As above, this is not an issue that is specific to these environs - it is a much wider issue and one that deserves to be raised to the public consciousness but in my opinion these threads (and there have been a few) just serve to detract from this forum as a whole.

Not sure where they belong - Animal & Pet Issues / Politics / Legal Discussion but at this stage surely enough is enough.

+1 To me it seems like the same topic is coming up again and again with the same rehashed nonsense every few weeks.

This feedback thread has been set up to help Mango Salsa and I decide what direction to take.
    Car2318 wrote: »
    I thought the ides of Boards was to enable people to talk about various issues in their locality - good bad and indifferent.
    As long as it is not offensive then I personally see no harm.

Perhaps a thread in the Greystones forum for littering issues/being a good neighbour or something could be set up

There are a lot of threads that I think are pointless but hey they mean something to someone else!

If you start blocking topics then where do you stop and surely objectivity ends

Good luck with the feedback.

Point taken. My last point covers this.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I can't see what the harm is. I take the point re Youtube. The Harbour debate is similar. But because it' s important it's worth reading to see both sides, etc. It is only by addressing unacceptable human behaviour again and again that you can change same. Look at smoking! It's not long ago people would smoke into your face, dinner, child because they had to get THEIR fix. It's changed.
    Creches (in the news) also bring out the worst. ''This is not my street, I'll drive how I like. F your children''
    And Dogs! It is the same selfish behaviour. If you don't keep raising the issue, it will remain socially acceptable.
    Yes it's a national problem, but we have a specific set of assets affected. It's a food town with cafes, Happy Pear, Food stalls, etc. It's a tourist/daytrip town and will be a major one going forward. Is this what we want them to see? We have a wildlife reserve at Kilcoole, incidentally requiring 24hr guard at this time of year thanks to guess who?
    The litter problem in Australia was solved by an ad campaign which depicted people throwing dirt and litter around their own homes and asking them to take ownership of the national problem as Australia was their home! Greystones is my home and by raising this thread as you have you may get others to see it as same, instead of this constant denial that it's a small minority, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

I can't see what the harm is. I take the point re Youtube. The Harbour debate is similar. But because it' s important it's worth reading to see both sides, etc.
    +1. If an issue is relevant to people who live in Greystones/Charlesland then it should be open to rational discussion. However, maybe just redirect any new threads to a single Litter thread, or Dog Poo thread.
    And Dogs! It is the same selfish behaviour. If you don't keep raising the issue, it will remain socially acceptable.
    -1. :(
    This is where the whole debate gets derailed ...
    It's a food town with cafes, Happy Pear, Food stalls, etc. It's a tourist/daytrip town and will be a major one going forward.
    +1 Very good point
    We have a wildlife reserve at Kilcoole, incidentally requiring 24hr guard at this time of year thanks to guess who?
    -2 derailed again :(
    instead of this constant denial that it's a small minority, etc.
    -3 and back to the same old set of arguments. :eek: :(

So in conclusion, I would suggest,
    1. Merge threads into a single "Litter" thread and a parallel single "Dogs in Greystones" thread.
    2. As Mods, feel free to delete any posts which you feel impede the respectful, rational discussion. (Free speech requires some elements of rules and decorum, otherwise we are all just shouting at each other)
    3. As Mods, feel free to edit/remove elements of individual posts which you think are likely to kick off a flame-war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My point from another thread has been proven... Same poster rambling on and on about the same issue.

Change the record.

It's due to posters like this ... Rambling on and on... That puts people off posting here... Not many people post in the Greystones forum anymore... Same old drivel.

cocker5 wrote: »
    My point from another thread has been proven... Same poster rambling on and on about the same issue.

Change the record.

It's due to posters like this ... Rambling on and on... That puts people off posting here... Not many people post in the Greystones forum anymore... Same old drivel.

If you have an issue with "a" poster, would a PM not help in your grievance?

• Advertisement

Oldlegs wrote: »
    +1. If an issue is relevant to people who live in Greystones/Charlesland then it should be open to rational discussion. However, maybe just redirect any new threads to a single Litter thread, or Dog Poo thread.

-1. :(
    This is where the whole debate gets derailed ...

+1 Very good point

-2 derailed again :(

-3 and back to the same old set of arguments. :eek: :(

So in conclusion, I would suggest,
    1. Merge threads into a single "Litter" thread and a parallel single "Dogs in Greystones" thread.
    2. As Mods, feel free to delete any posts which you feel impede the respectful, rational discussion. (Free speech requires some elements of rules and decorum, otherwise we are all just shouting at each other)
    3. As Mods, feel free to edit/remove elements of individual posts which you think are likely to kick off a flame-war.

Points taken, it's a feedback thread after all. :)

[QUOTE

Again we emphasise that we want RESPECTFUL. In particular please do not name any posters in this thread.

.[/QUOTE] Because what someone else contradicts what you want to believe? It's rambling drivel!

Again we emphasise that we want RESPECTFUL. In particular please do not name any posters in this thread.

Because what someone else contradicts what you want to believe? It's rambling drivel!

:confused:

DD9090 wrote: »
    If you have an issue with "a" poster, would a PM not help in your grievance?

Don't have an 'issue' with a poster , why would I send a pm? This is an open forum not a dating website. Its not a personal website.

Don't have any grievances just bored and tired if their anti dogs ranting and raving in every post... Nearly all their posts revolve around the same thing, even if the thread isnt rekated to dogs, it's just a snore fear to be honest!

It's the same old drivel that puts people off posting here at times...

IMO

Because what someone else contradicts what you want to believe? It's rambling drivel!

:confused:[/quote]

Contradicted what?? Again rambling!

I agree with you ... I have stated this in every post... All dog owners should have to clean up after their dogs - there is no disagreement...

It's the fact that you go on ...... And on ..... And on in every post about it.

And on.....

And on ....

And no doubt in the future.... On and on.

:confused:[/QUOTE] Sorry DD quote paste went wrong. I was pointing out that another poster had ignored the rules in the opening post.
    People genuinely feel and believe that it is their right to behave as they like at the expense of others, that any negative effect they have themselves is only a small one instead of a collective large one, or that that are really one of the ones that actually do the right thing! They get excited and start hurling the stuff that I just expect them to clean up! Sorry!

:confused:
    Sorry DD quote paste went wrong. I was pointing out that another poster had ignored the rules in the opening post.
    People genuinely feel and believe that it is their right to behave as they like at the expense of others, that any negative effect they have themselves is only a small one instead of a collective large one, or that that are really one of the ones that actually do the right thing! They get excited and start hurling the stuff that I just expect them to clean up! Sorry![/quote]

And again.... On and on.

Nobody is disagreeing with you on the dog pop saga... So give it up.... For the sake of the Greystones boards forum!

So let's summarise.
    Only people who clean up after their dogs read this forum.
    The ones who don't clean up can't read or use a computer.
    There are not three full time rangers on Kilcoole beach to protect the terns from the tiny minority of people who just let their dogs run around.
    Most dog owners are responsible so there is no problem.

So let's summarise.
    There are not three full time rangers on Kilcoole beach to protect the terns from the tiny minority of people who just let their dogs run around.

Purpose of this thread - as established by the MODS - is to discuss the correct forum for reasonable discussion of the topic - NOT for actual discussion of the topic.

{But as you raised the Kilcoole tern-nesting issue again, One dog (or fox !) could do untold damage to the nesting terns, as could any stupid person stumbling around during the day or night. Are there 3 rangers on site 24 hours a day, or is it 3 rangers on 8-hr shifts ? Happy to discuss in another thread/forum}

So let's summarise.

And on and on.... And on and on

I give up....

There's a dog natzi among us. Your whole world seems consumed with dog poo... It's comical Infact!

Thank god you seem to have no actual real worries in life!

Your hatred for dogs and dogs owners is quiet concerning... It's bordering on dog / dog owner racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

So let's summarise.

Careful now! Any valid points you make/made will be lost to comments like that

A ''Natzi'' racist! mmm! Dog and dog owner racist!!!!!!!! I better go to confession!

A ''Natzi'' racist! mmm! Dog and dog owner racist!!!!!!!! I better go to confession!

Snore.... Snore....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cuddlycavies and Cocker5 I have given you both a few days ban for completely disregarding mod requests and instructions.

DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD AGAIN

Everyone else please give us your feedback - ONLY on the issue of the discussions themselves

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I think any discussion should be directed to the Animal and Pet forum. It's not a local issue, it's one that arises on every beach, street and estate in the country.

Discussion of particular dogs/owners is skirting the boundaries of the charter. If you're not going to address any transgressors in public, there's nothing to be gained from "to the man walking the golden labrador on the spine road..." type posts put up here anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I don't have a problem with a thread that discusses real actions we as a community can take to address the issue. I thought the thread that was closed sometime ago was heading that way and could have been really beneficial. It is likely to be detailed though as it seems some people can't discuss the issue rationally. Obviously if people just want to rant about dogs in general then the animals and pets forum is the place for that but don't expect too warm a welcome !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Swanner wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with a thread that discusses real actions we as a community can take to address the issue. I thought the thread that was closed sometime ago was heading that way and could have been really beneficial. It is likely to be detailed though as it seems some people can't discuss the issue rationally. Obviously if people just want to rant about dogs in general then the animals and pets forum is the place for that but don't expect too warm a welcome !!!

By conducting such discussions on the animals and pets forum, one will stand a far better chance of hearing some solutions that may have been successful in other towns/villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

By conducting such discussions on the animals and pets forum, one will stand a far better chance of hearing some solutions that may have been successful in other towns/villages.

I don't disagree. But the discussion on that forum will be a generic one. Any discussion here would be specific to Greystones and could be used to generate real action in the community to tackle the issue.

This makes sense. But if a potential initiative is considered suitable for Greystones, for example, it is then relevant to the Greystones forum.

However, as Swanner noted, the key is to have a rational discussion.

As the mods have also noted, multiple threads popping up do not make for a better Greystones forum and make discussion of the core issue(s) more difficult.

Merging threads in to a single thread within the Greystones forum would not clutter the "home page".

Irrational, repetitive or illogical arguments for/against issues raised in the single thread kick-off a flame war very quickly.

Clear statement at start of thread re. fanning the flames, and banning for consistent infractions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement