Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off street Car parking around the dock area

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get accommodation around the city centre but many places do not come with car parking. Anybody know of any place that rents spaces long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Try the harbour board, they might do discs on a monthly or yearly bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

The harbour office have a car park at the back of harbour hotel. €50ish a month cheaper if you pay in larger blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most of the multistorey carparks rent out spaces by the week, month or year.

For example, Jury's is somewhere between €1,300 and €1,500 per year iirc. That has 24 hour access; the gates open with the pass driving in, and during the night you go through Jurys hotel if you want to get your car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

There's a few spaces on daft here

This renting a place out and not including parking is becoming far too common. It's absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Every single apartment, house etc should have at least one parking space included in the rent (where on street parking isn't available for free or with council permit), trying to find a place to rent in Cork (in my case) is made so much more difficult by the lack of parking being included.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This renting a place out and not including parking is becoming far too common. It's absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Every single apartment, house etc should have at leat one parking space included in the rent, trying to find a place to rent in Cork (in my case) is made so much more difficult by the lack of parking being included.
    Interesting opinion. :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »
    Interesting opinion Jeremy Bald Wrongdoing. :cool:

A car is an absolute necessity for most people and that makes a parking space essential. An apartment without parking or charging extra for it (which is pure extortion from landlords), is as useless to a lot of people as an apartment without a bathroom. Parking is a basic essential imo.

The PRTB should make providing parking a rule for landlords, again where on street permit parking is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A car is an absolute necessity for most people and that makes a parking space essential. An apartment without parking or charging extra for it (which is pure extortion from landlords), is as useless to a lot of people as an apartment without a bathroom. Parking is a basic essential imo.

The PRTB should make providing parking a rule for landlords, again where on street permit parking is not available.

Sorry, that that's a load of b**.

Lots of inner city residents choose to live car-free. Some of us occasionaly hire a car for holidays etc, others choose to always use public transport or taxis. Others don't drive because they're not allowed (never learned, have medical conditions that mean they're not allowed, never managed to pass the test, etc)

Why should we be forced to have the cost of a car-park that we'll never use included in our rent?

There is nothing to stop you renting an apartment and a carpark separately. That way, you can choose how secure you want the park to be, how far from the apartment you are willing to walk, how much support services you want your parking complex to offer. Personally I'd hate it if I got a car and those were decisions made for me by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It should at least be an option. There's a few places I'd love to live, but because there is no parking available or as part of a package with the residence, I have to pass them up.

It should at least be an option. There's a few places I'd love to live, but because there is no parking available or as part of a package with the residence, I have to pass them up.

Ahh, you're a grown-up, and surely you can approach some of the parking providers in the area and negotiate a deal with them timed to co-incide with a tenancy? If you're old enough to sign a lease for a house, surely you can also sign one for a car-park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ahh, you're a grown-up, and surely you can approach some of the parking providers in the area and negotiate a deal with them timed to co-incide with a tenancy? If you're old enough to sign a lease for a house, surely you can also sign one for a car-park.

On that same point if a landlord is old enough to rent a place out they should be able to provide facilities that potential tennants would want

Sorry, that that's a load of b**.

Lots of inner city residents choose to live car-free. Some of us occasionaly hire a car for holidays etc, others choose to always use public transport or taxis. Others don't drive because they're not allowed (never learned, have medical conditions that mean they're not allowed, never managed to pass the test, etc)

Why should we be forced to have the cost of a car-park that we'll never use included in our rent?

There is nothing to stop you renting an apartment and a carpark separately. That way, you can choose how secure you want the park to be, how far from the apartment you are willing to walk, how much support services you want your parking complex to offer. Personally I'd hate it if I got a car and those were decisions made for me by the landlord.

A lot of nonsense in that post! For a start I reckon every apartment is build with at least one parking space just the landlords decide they won't include them with the rent which they should be. Parking is a basic nesessity.

You say how close they should be, right beside the apartment or house, where else would I want then.

I should not have to arrange an essential thing like parking separately or pay one cent extra for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Living in city centres all over most often means to arrange your own parking.
    I don't see why a landlord, that didn't even build the house, is supposed to provide parking.
    Same for your city office, sometimes they provide parking but most often not. Employees just arrange their own parking, no big deal.

As to the OP, try the places mentioned that may rent parking spaces only. That way you can rent any apt along the docks.
    There is parking along Long Walk but it's always jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A lot of nonsense in that post! For a start I reckon every apartment is build with at least one parking space just the landlords decide they won't include them with the rent which they should be. Parking is a basic nesessity.

You say how close they should be, right beside the apartment or house, where else would I want then.

I should not have to arrange an essential thing like parking separately or pay one cent extra for it!!

So for example should i just be allowed take up one of Augustine Streets few on street parking spots because thats where i live? Let alone the other maybe 60-70 ,if not more, apartments on the street, where do we all fit in your grand plan?

So for example should i just be allowed take up one of Augustine Streets few on street parking spots because thats where i live? Let alone the other maybe 60-70 ,if not more, apartments on the street, where do we all fit in your grand plan?

I think more. Lots and lots more if you include all the council apartments over on Whitehall/Abbeygate St.

The OP who started this thread clearly understands inner city living: there are many advantages, but some disadvantages including the fact that you generally don't have a car-park at your door, and that sometimes you have to rent your car-park separately from your apartment.

Some later posters clearly don't have a clue. I understood that when we saw the claim that all apartments are built with carparks. Sheesh. Lot of the buildings in the Docks area (Dock Rd, Merchants Rd, Augustine St, and all the streets in between) were built before cars were invented or something most people would have. They simply don't have parking - and many people live here very happily without needing a car.

I don't know what the pricing difference is like now, but the last time I looked an apartment with a carpark cost on average €100 pcm more than one without a carpark.

The notion that my landlord should be forced to rent a carpark and then sub-let it to me so that I can leave it empty most of the time because I don't run a car is just developer-led rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Im not saying that a landlord should sublet a parking space to me especially the older houses in town, that you have to get a parking permit for. its more the newer built apartments in town that have parking with them that are sublet by landlords to one peeson while renting an apartment out to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

OP you could try Hynes car park it has entrances on Merchants Rd and by the docks (exit by Merchants rd only), annual car pass costs around €750/800 with 24hr access.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, and you can...at a cost of €20 per year. Mind you, the amount of fools who try and fail badly to park in spaces their cars can't fit in is truly astounding, the cost of repair work alone makes private parking a lot more of an attractive option :cool:

Yes, and you can...at a cost of €20 per year. Mind you, the amount of fools who try and fail badly to park in spaces their cars can't fit in is truly astounding, the cost of repair work alone makes private parking a lot more of an attractive option :cool:

Ahh, no. That permit just lets you park without paying a fee. It doesn't guarantee a spot will be available when you want it. There are far more apartments than there are on street parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OP there's a private car park opposite County Buildings on Prospect Hill (about 5 minutes walk to the docks) that lease spaces. It'd be worth giving them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ahh, no. That permit just lets you park without paying a fee. It doesn't guarantee a spot will be available when you want it. There are far more apartments than there are on street parks.

I didn't say that it guaranteed a spot, nor did the bit of quoted text I replied to...sooooo ahhhhh yes :pac:

Advertisement