Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water is breaking me heart

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:50pm

So i have been in Dublin 15 over 2 years now and i my biggest issue is the water. Upon moving in i got a new boiler. Breand new for 2500. 2 years later the boiler has died despite being serviced. We were told it was the water in the area. Unfortunately the company i got the boiler from is gone out of business so no come back for me.

I have gone through so many clothes due to this water also. Its absolutely shreds clothes despite using softeners. Our new clothes dryer is on its last legs ,we are told its from the water. So we have to have it replaced.

Our power shower started having issues with also . We replaced the head which was completely clogged with lime scale.

The worst thing was we had 2 parrots die within the space of a year. The first had no explanation. We were told it had eaten and died. A year later the other dropped dead prematurely. It wasnt until we thought about it. The first was given water for his bath and was dead the next morning.

The second we were out of fresh water so used tap water , thinking it will be ok one time only . We watched a movie and he was dead by the end of the movie.

The toilets have scaled over. We have literally scrubbed and scrubbed and got nowere. We have to replace the bowl. The bath is already in a bad way so we have the replacement on stand by.

Is anybody else having this problem ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Good God, where in Dublin 15 are you?! Definitely not having the same problem here.

Just up beside the blanch center.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm in Castleknock (Phoenix Park end) and the water has been tasting pretty strange for the past few days. My skin also dries out after a shower.

We don't have the problems the OP has but there is definitely a problem with the water supply in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When I moved into my area in D15 (Roselawn area), the bath tub, shower, toilets and sinks were covered in limescale buildup. In places it was 3-4mm thick. I had to buy and use strong acids to dissolve the limescale, but it took many applications and a lot of time.

It's important that you acid-based cleaning products. Things like bleach or caustic soda won't work. The limescale is a base, so you need an acid to dissolve it. You can buy bottles of mild-strong acids on the internet. Or just use commerical stuff like Harpic Limescale Remover (about 6% mild acid). Or use non-malt vinegar which is a weak acid, but very cheap.

I haven't have any issues with showers/taps/washing machines yet (going on 6 years now, but only 2 for the washing machine).

You can have a filter fitted to the water mains supply. It costs a bit, but in the long run it seems it would save you a lot of money/hassle.
    Some details of the various methods can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softening

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The water is definitely very hard in D15 but the issues you have seem to be very extreme. Definitely worth looking at getting a filter in your case.

I had to soak the shower head in vinegar the other day because it was getting blocked. The water was either boiling or freezing and once it was unblocked it was fine. The iron needs to be cleaned fairly regularly too.

• Advertisement

I was looking at a reverse osmosis filter. But as i said i am getting the boiler replaced so thats quite alot of money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There was a thread on here last year (or the year before maybe) so there does seem to be an issue, but killing parrots in one dose seems really OTT. Have you had the water analysed to see what's in it? Might be worth spending a few bob on that before you splash out on a new boiler and/or treatment units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

So i have been in Dublin 15 over 2 years now and i my biggest issue is the water. Upon moving in i got a new boiler. Breand new for 2500. 2 years later the boiler has died despite being serviced. ?

How did you pay for it? If you paid by credit card then you may be in luck.

I was watching a programme recently on one of the UK stations and if you paid for any of it (ie a deposit) on your credit card, then the credit card company is equally liable with the supplier for the goods, which by definition were not suitable for purpose when you bought them.

The CC company tried to deny that they were liable, and put every obstacle they could in the way of the customer, but he got his money back in the end.

EDIT: Chargeback http://www.nca.ie/nca/chargeback This may change the way I pay for things in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

But as i said i am getting the boiler replaced so thats quite alot of money.
    Coincidentally I am getting my boiler replaced. I am going to ensure that the pipes and radiators are given a "power flush" to remove the old heating water and associated debris. Such a power flush is required for the boiler warranty.

I suggest getting this done when you replace your boiler. It is not a cheap task (maybe 350-400 euro). I can look up the guy who gave me a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The older parts of D.15 seem to have a feed from Dublin the newer parts of D.15 from meath. Its the latter which has most of the lime in it. AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It's certainly gotten worse in the last 9 months, no idea why.
    Never had much issue in keeping the toilet bowl limescale free,
    these days it's a right chore and I have to clean out the kettle every week.

I just found more lime scale in the sink, were the water flows from the tap. I tried to clean it with Ciff, but it wouldnt budge :confused: so now there is this brown stain running down the sink to the plug hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I just found more lime scale in the sink, were the water flows from the tap. I tried to clean it with Ciff, but it wouldnt budge :confused: so now there is this brown stain running down the sink to the plug hole.

As above, you need an acid to remove limescale. It's not dirt, grease or grime so things like Ciff/Bleach/Cilit Bang etc won't do anything.

For sinks, put the plug in, fill the sink to as high as the level of the limescale, then add a bottle of vineger. Leave for 20 mins and the limescale will become very soft.

For taps & shower heads, put some vineger in a small bag and tie it to the tap (so the end of the tap is inside the bag soaking.

For kettles, you don't need much vinegar. Just fill with enough water to cover the heating elements and add about 50ml of vinegar. The boil the kettle. Rinse out afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cilit Bang limescale remover works for me. Spray it once, 5 mins later it just wipes away.

It says it should not be used on "acid-sensitive" materials so I assume that means there acid in it.

Fu(£ this sh!t .....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/first-water-meters-to-be-installed-next-month-as-part-of-national-rollout-1.1419351

I am already down 1500 on a new boiler :mad:

Thanks For the advice as above

Advertisement