Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Desire to smoke

Options
  • 30-05-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Okay its been four months - haven't smoked at all - then out of the blue this morning driving into work - felt this desire to go and buy a pack of smokes.
    And a few times during the day - same thought has popped into my head !
    No craving just this kinda of longing - wonder is it the blue sky/summer feeling or something that is a trigger point - however up until now I havent really had any longing at all

Just curious anyway - do people still get these feelings out of the blue - months vaping - and if they do and act on them - do they end up back smoking.

I'd love to try a cigarette just to see if I still like them - however I would be afraid to be hooked again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I get that feeling too from time to time, though I'm only off the cigarettes two months. I never threw out my tobacco stuff and have a pouch of tobacco at home and box with four B&H in my car and I've been tempted to try one to see what it's like. But like you, I'm too worried I'd end up smoking again if I did! I had a morning from hell yesterday and I remember thinking at one point that when I got to my car I was going to have a cigarette, but when it came to it I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I had this for the first time the other day, but it was for a cigar! I wasn't even a cigar smoker, just on special occasions. I think I'd gotten bored of tasting the same shît day in day out so I made some new juice and BLAM! I didn't feel the longing anymore.
    Same kind of longing as you I'd say. I wouldn't rip someone's head off just for a cigar but I'd like a taste the same way I'd like a nice beer on a warm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've had cravings, like I was missing something from some random day. Like an itch you can't scratch, it bugged me, but it passed, and I'll have that feeling again, and it'll pass ... I smoked for over 20 years, it's natural to feel like I'm missing something. Up to 20 times per day, every day, I had one in hand. When I first started vaping the e-cigs, I used to go to tip ashes from them without thinking! After a week or more that stopped, and I knew I was getting there.

The smell of cig's turns my stomach now. 99% of the time the idea of them disgusts me, we all have that 1% moment. Let it pass you by. It feels good when you get through it :)

Also, remember, when you smoked you were on the one flavour all the time, or mostly. With vaping you can pretty much have any flavour you want, any time. And it does kill that craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I think it's completely natural to get the urge. The strange psychology of addiction makes you feel like you are 'missing out on something' by not smoking.
    Just remember all you gain from vaping! An urge passes in seconds or minutes and is about the only time you have to be vigilant as a vaper.
    Also, there is no vanilla custard in Marlboro land.

quintron wrote: »
    Also, there is no vanilla custard in Marlboro land.

There is if you drip some concentrate along the cig and leave it to dry.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    There is if you drip some concentrate along the cig and leave it to dry.
    Ah here... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I use the advice I got when I started here:

Feel like a smoke? Vape, then Vape some more. The feeling will pass, and you'll feel better for not giving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Thanks guys - I'll keep going - have to say grindles suggestion with the vanilla custard dripped on a Marlboro sounded tempting :-)

Well... Don't do that, it's bad for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Everytime somebody lights up a smoke in a movie I feel the need for a smoke.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    A la Crocodile Dundee (from back in the day), next time someone lights up a smoke in a movie, just say to yourself "That's not a smoke! THIS is a smoke!" (as you brandish your 3 foot stainless steel hugemongous vapour machine mod. You'll feel better. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Is this a reference to 'thank you for smoking'?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Try watching mad-men :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I have been vaping exclusively now for six months & have to say I have no desire or haven't had any desire for a cig, may have something to do with with a couple of flavours I really like

Also noticed that before, as soon as I got up in the morning I was gagging for a cig, now not so much of a rush for a vape :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

I have been vaping exclusively now for six months & have to say I have no desire or haven't had any desire for a cig, may have something to do with with a couple of flavours I really like

Also noticed that before, as soon as I got up in the morning I was gagging for a cig, now not so much of a rush for a vape :confused:

I've noticed that too. Sometimes it'll be several hours up before I think to vape (18mg) but when I was a smoker I usually had one within 5 mins of waking.

Advertisement