Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rope Climbing

• 30-05-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I was thinking of getting one for grip and the general strength needed to climb it.

Anybody here have any experience climbing rope? What are the pros and cons? How beneficial is it? I don't fancy setting the whole thing up only to find marginal benefit.

Also where did you buy it? I'd imagine the shipping cost would be quite high.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Towel or mophead pullups would be an alternative.

I got my rope on ebay, €88 incl delivery from the UK for 65ft of 40mm dia manila rope, DHL was about £18. I have to small bits on a chinup bar, they can loop onto plates for many other exercises.

This guy is the coach for the US boys gymnastics team
    My Picks for the Top 5 Gymnastics Strength Exercises

1) Any reasonable ring strength series - This series should include a press variation (either to shoulder stand or handstand), a support variation and some kind of lever at the very least. Click here for an example of a basic ring strength series.

2) Press handstands - Any variation is fine, although for the most benefit, the emphasis should be on developing the ability to press from either an L-seat or straddle L.

3) HSPUs - Try to build to a full range of motion on these; hands to shoulders on either parallets or rings. Free balancing is much more beneficial than supported. Advanced trainees can, and should, substitute chest roll variations or Bowers in place of the HSPUs.

4) Rope Climb - Legs in a straddle L position

5) Front & Back Limbers - Done correctly, these are excellent for developing core strength and flexibility at the same time. Wall walks are an excellent starting point for these skills.

Yours in Fitness,
    Coach Sommer

Some people have sourced rope from marine places.

Advertisement