Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so pissed off with upc right now

• 30-05-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

not even sure where to begin, signed up for triple play with 50 meg bb, agent told me that the fibre optic line was rated for 25-30 meg only but would sign me up to the triple play 50 and reduce the price accordingly.

I said fine nps, first bill came was at least 40 euro more then what I was paying for the double play I was on, got onto billing they said thered be an overcharge on the account, will credit that back and I see your speed wasn't increased so ill do that and send you out the modem at the same time, I said hang on a sec I was told the line couldn't handle 50 meg, he said it can and the modem will be here on Tuesday.

Rang up Tuesday evening as no sign, agent said it hadn't been ordered, Ill order it now, I queried again the 50 meg upgrade and she said yes itll be upgraded and modem will be with you Thursday. Today came no sign so agent gave me the number of the couriers, rang couriers they had no record of the order, rang back to UPC, very helpful chap in all honesty, put through the order manually and said yup you guessed it cant order your modem as your lines only capable of 25-30 meg. Ok well I cant pay the amount of money your asking I need a rejig, straight through to customer loyalty who did what I asked in the first place and said even though your line is marked as fibre optic it is rated as only 25-30 meg and there is no upgrade schedule for it so cant really see it being done in the next 6 months.

Everyone been upgraded me arse

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

nice rant all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

If it was fibre optic to the house, it would be rated at far more than 50Mb/s, Shin,
    From what I remember, UPC's network around here is still coaxial cable to the house. It might be a fibre optic network on the backbone though.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Right, UPC don't do Fibre To The Home (FTTH) anywhere.

What they call Fibre enabled is Fibre To The Curb/Node (FTTC/N) and then Coax to each home on what is called a Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) network.

Not all nodes are fibre enabled, so they can only do max 30mb/s on these, while fibre enabled nodes can do up to 150mb/s and beyond in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Wonder with this promise to upgrade everyone to 50 meg where possible is it in there plans at all to upgrade round here, although they haven't done so far.

The agent did say it didn't look to be in the upgrade plans so probably wouldn't be done within the next 6 months anyways.

Shin

Advertisement