Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of storage heaters

Options
  • 30-05-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Mod's if this is an unsuitable place for this thread please move, thanks.
    Myself and my partner bought a bungalow in Tramore and it has storage heating, myself and my partner want rid of them.
    We were wondering what we could put in place of the contraptionated things.
    The kitchen/dining/living area has a woodburning stove in it.
    How ever the hallways, three bedrooms, sitting room and a little box room have storage heaters in them.
    In total there is SEVEN storage heaters.
    The bathrooms of which there is three has some sort of electric underfloor heating, and a fan type heater positioned on the wall. We also want to get rid of that system also!
    Has anyone any ideas on what we could do, as in what heating system could we put in place. The property has a nightsaver meter.
    The previous owner only stayed in summer time, but told us back in December '09 he he stayed there and said that the bill was near to €900, and that's why he put in the woodburning stove to make it more energy saving.
    Sorry for such a long winded post,

Sincerely,
    iguy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Storage heaters are the future.

He probably didn't use them right.

Firstly you need to identify how we'll the house is insulated, there is no point in getting a more efficent heating system if the heat is still pissing out if the house.

Look for attic insulation, well insulated windows and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Thanks for your reply ted1,
    I surely hope the storage heaters are not the future, I despise them, this house has to many of them, the most I've had to deal with before is four of them and one fan heater. It is the most expensive heating system in my opinion. Anyhow....
    Not trying to sound smart, but I'm sure he would of used them right as he is an electrician.
    The house is fully insulated, front and back doors are triple glazed.
    The house is eight years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The next generation storage heaters are going to be grid controlled so when there is excess wind they will charge up and store heat using the cheapest electricity. Look up dimplex Quantum.

I've seen plenty of sparks get storage heaters wrong best to double check

ted1 wrote: »
    The next generation storage heaters are going to be grid controlled so when there is excess wind they will charge up and store heat using the cheapest electricity. Look up dimplex Quantum.

I've seen plenty of sparks get storage heaters wrong best to double check

I have them taken out already should of stated that before, I looked up that and I still wouldn't use them ones either, the current place I'm renting at the moment in the two years I've lived here I've only spent €625 on electricity, I've a stove that heats the place and in the past two years I've spent €500 on fuel.
    Whereas I previously rented an apartment for 16 months and nearly €3800 was spent on electricity.
    The damned things don't even let out enough heat, the heat they let out is livable, but not on a cold winters night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about getting gas central heating with a combi boiler?

• Advertisement

What about getting gas central heating with a combi boiler?

Was thinking of that myself, I know its possible to get a gas connection to the house, however how to go about it I wouldn't have a clue, like what are the costs involved, etc.
    Also what would the average yearly spend on gas.
    I know I could go down the route of connecting radiators etc, to a stove with a back boiler, because, as previously stated I could/can get fuel cheap enough. I'd like a cleaner alternative though, hence the reason for this thread!
    Also I've came to a decision to leave the underfloor heating in the bathrooms active.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

iguy wrote: »
    Whereas I previously rented an apartment for 16 months and nearly €3800 was spent on electricity.
    The damned things don't even let out enough heat, the heat they let out is livable, but not on a cold winters night!

You where using them wrong. They aren't cheap to use but that's a huge bill for 16 months, the worst I've had over the cold winter is about €250 with the heating on a lot in a 2 bed.

Was thinking of that myself, I know its possible to get a gas connection to the house, however how to go about it I wouldn't have a clue, like what are the costs involved, etc.
    Also what would the average yearly spend on gas.
    I know I could go down the route of connecting radiators etc, to a stove with a back boiler, because, as previously stated I could/can get fuel cheap enough. I'd like a cleaner alternative though, hence the reason for this thread!
    Also I've came to a decision to leave the underfloor heating in the bathrooms active.

You can get a gas storage tank installed and they deliver the gas like oil to your home. Seems strange to be spending €000s to fit a heating system to try and save money when it would only take a few weeks to learn to use the storage heaters correctly.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You where using them wrong. They aren't cheap to use but that's a huge bill for 16 months, the worst I've had over the cold winter is about €250 with the heating on a lot in a 2 bed.

Must of been using them wrong is right!!!
    Still €250 is a lot also, I'd get 6-8 months electricity for that, I know, sound like a stingy so and so ha!

You can get a gas storage tank installed and they deliver the gas like oil to your home. Seems strange to be spending €000s to fit a heating system to try and save money when it would only take a few weeks to learn to use the storage heaters correctly.

That sounds simple enough to do, I know one thing for sure I won't be going for oil as that is too expensive also!!!!
    As I've said previously I despise them, I think they are too expensive to run, they don't give out an efficient amount of heat and in the evening time they let out none at all! I've got them removed anyways, only had the keys approximately 3 hours and they were gone!!!!
    The reason why I'll be spending so much is in the long run I'll be saving money.

Can anyone tell me though, how much approximately how much a year would I need to spend on gas, just to heat the place, from mid October till mid March.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can anyone tell me though, how much approximately how much a year would I need to spend on gas, just to heat the place, from mid October till mid March.

Bit like asking how long a piece of string is to be honest.
    I have a well insulated 3 bed with gas heating.
    Usage depends on just how cold it is out- aka at the moment its not on at all, however in the winter it might be on 3-4 hours a day. Its not unusual to get a bi-monthly winter bill of between 300-400 (aka I'd spend over a grand in the winter) whereas in the summer all I'd be paying is the connection charge, absolutely no usage charges.

I'd be suspicious of how well your house is insulated if it were built 8 years ago- as it wasn't built under the new codes. Just because it has two good doors- doesn't mean its rating is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Still €250 is a lot also, I'd get 6-8 months electricity for that, I know, sound like a stingy so and so ha!

That sounds simple enough to do, I know one thing for sure I won't be going for oil as that is too expensive also!!!!

As I've said previously I despise them, I think they are too expensive to run, they don't give out an efficient amount of heat and in the evening time they let out none at all! I've got them removed anyways, only had the keys approximately 3 hours and they were gone!!!!
    The reason why I'll be spending so much is in the long run I'll be saving money.

It's personal preference on what heating you use. But when you have gas, or oil, you'll have to pay for that, you'll more than likely need to pay for the tank, then you need to service the boiler and for gas I'd assume the tank needs checking which all ads to the costs.

These are all costs I don't have with storage heaters, if they ever get smart meters and "green" electricity my storage heaters will be able to top up on the cheapest and "cleanest" fuel available. You'll be waiting at the end of a long pipe from Russia for gas.

As Smccarrick said, it's unanswerable. Each person has a different level of heat and there's no way for us to know how well insulated your house is. What's the BER ratting, it may give you an indication, that's if the builders built as designed with the correct spec'd materials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement