Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2013

Options
  • 30-05-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So with registration filling just around an hour ago, and in about 45 minutes. The third year using online registration, and again facing issues with the number trying to got in. Did you get your place? and how set will you be?

All tips, advice, words of wisdom, weather a veteran, or a first timer, say it all here.

3rd time out for me, will be on a PB hunt, and currently planning to get round in sub 85 minutes, all ready cant wait for the madness that will descend on Strandhill, Co Sligo, on the 31st of August. Its possibly the toughest 15k you could run.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/

Ps, sorry if you are only hearing about this event now, already thought A/R had a thread on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Anyone know if the Knocknarae loop run is going ahead again this year? It was an excellent warm up event for the warriors last year

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Got registered today,I am a first timer..Anyone have a running program for an Intermediate runner,the one of the Warriors Website seems to be for beginners.Done 8km this evening and feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

I'd be looking at intermediate half marathon training plans and will throw Howth Hill into a few training routes.
    I'm a first timer myself and I'm wondering roughly how long it'll take me. I'm aiming to be fit enough to do a 75 minuter for 10 miles on the flat. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

irish-stew wrote: »
    So with registration filling just around an hour ago, and in about 45 minutes. The third year using online registration, and again facing issues with the number trying to got in. Did you get your place? and how set will you be?

All tips, advice, words of wisdom, weather a veteran, or a first timer, say it all here.

3rd time out for me, will be on a PB hunt, and currently planning to get round in sub 85 minutes, all ready cant wait for the madness that will descend on Strandhill, Co Sligo, on the 31st of August. Its possibly the toughest 15k you could run.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/

Ps, sorry if you are only hearing about this event now, already thought A/R had a thread on this.

It will be my fourth time out, didnt think i would get in with the website crashing. They will have to put it on ticketmaster in future to stop the crashing. My tip would be to run the first 2.5 miles slowly and save some energy for the run home. I've noticed that a good indicator of the time you will do, is whatever you can run ten miles on the road in, then you wont be too far off your warriors time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    It will be my fourth time out, didnt think i would get in with the website crashing. They will have to put it on ticketmaster in future to stop the crashing. My tip would be to run the first 2.5 miles slowly and save some energy for the run home. I've noticed that a good indicator of the time you will do, is whatever you can run ten miles on the road in, then you wont be too far off your warriors time

Could be tight enough. My Warriors PB is 89 minutes, my 10mile road PB is 84 minutes.

If I can conquor the climb this year, dont go to mad on the run to the hill, and have a dry decent to the car park, the 85 minute target could be within reach.

Have the Streets of Sligo 5k next weekend. After that, it will be (hopefully) be full focus on the Warriors.

• Advertisement

Could be tight enough. My Warriors PB is 89 minutes, my 10mile road PB is 84 minutes.

If I can conquor the climb this year, dont go to mad on the run to the hill, and have a dry decent to the car park, the 85 minute target could be within reach.

Have the Streets of Sligo 5k next weekend. After that, it will be (hopefully) be full focus on the Warriors.

Its the decent that kills me, i must go up a few times to top of knocknarea and and run down for practice. I plan to get to the turn off round feeling like i havent worked then attack the climb and run home.

The streets of sligo is in 2 weeks time hopefully i will be there to get a Pb.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Its the decent that kills me, i must go up a few times to top of knocknarea and and run down for practice. I plan to get to the turn off round feeling like i havent worked then attack the climb and run home.

The streets of sligo is in 2 weeks time hopefully i will be there to get a Pb.

Surprised the decent hasn't killed me. Think I came down from the top, to the car park in about 5 minutes first time out. Last year only slightly slower due to all the rain that fell in the days before.

:eek:

The run down I think does take alot of prep. Do you take the most direct route, or do you meander down, ie, run accross the hill, going left to right. Although with so many people decending I'm surprised more people dont crash into each other. Really important to be aware of whats going on around you, picking your steps about 5 or 6 ahead, or even your leaps with all the ditches and sudden drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 satanic_jesus

i will be trying the warriors run for the first time this year, have done a few half marathons, but need advice on footwear for the warriors run, i have a pair of asics running shoes that i use for road running but would they do me for the warriors or would i need to invest in a trail runner? any advice appreciated, kind regards, jesus.

i will be trying the warriors run for the first time this year, have done a few half marathons, but need advice on footwear for the warriors run, i have a pair of asics running shoes that i use for road running but would they do me for the warriors or would i need to invest in a trail runner? any advice appreciated, kind regards, jesus.

Running shoes will be fine as most of the race is on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nbassy

Hi all, as most here have recognised, the online registration meant it was tough to get in, and as a result, myself and a friend weren't able to sign up. Really disappointed, as we had already gotten our accom sorted in advance (very organised altogether!!)

If anyone here can't go or knows of someone who can't, and has signed up, please let me know, we'd be more than happy to take your place and cover the fees!!

Thanks in advance folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm in again this year, 2nd time for me.
    Looking to better last years time of 1:20:55 so plan on getting plenty of miles in the legs, some hill reps, regular LSRs and a few offroad sessions.
    Failed to do any proper preparation last year, so I would hope to take maybe 10 minutes off that time if I'm going well on the day.

On the footwear, I used an old pair of trail shoes (cos the new pair I had ordered weren't in the shop in time) that blistered me badly. If you're considering getting trail shoes for this, do it now & get used to them.
    My honest opinion is that an all out heavy duty trail shoe is too much as there's a lot of road too. You'll need something that can handle both conditions - I have the Inov-8 TrailRoc and they're a pretty good all rounder.

The run down I think does take alot of prep. Do you take the most direct route, or do you meander down, ie, run accross the hill, going left to right. Although with so many people decending I'm surprised more people dont crash into each other. Really important to be aware of whats going on around you, picking your steps about 5 or 6 ahead, or even your leaps with all the ditches and sudden drops.

To do a good decent I think you have to be brave, lose all fear and just go for it. It seems tougher on the legs going slower as you're constantly braking.
    I try to go straight wherever its clear & if I feel I'm getting too much speed up I start to weave over and back to make it less steep.

Would love to hear from some IMRA guys on the best techniques for descending.
    Also would like to know what's the best way to attack the hills.
    How do you get yourself out from behind a queue of people who are going a bit slower than you would like to - do you come off the trail & run parallel or wait for a specific type of terrain to burst past ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

To do a good decent I think you have to be brave, lose all fear and just go for it. It seems tougher on the legs going slower as you're constantly braking.
    I try to go straight wherever its clear & if I feel I'm getting too much speed up I start to weave over and back to make it less steep.

How do you get yourself out from behind a queue of people who are going a bit slower than you would like to - do you come off the trail & run parallel or wait for a specific type of terrain to burst past ?

"Go For It" is generally best idea for the descent.

To overtake just move out when you get close to folk ahead, call "passing on right/ left" if you are going to be anyway close to them and pass out in parallel.

Try to lean forward somewhat and avoid braking for sure as it upsets your rhythm, can cause you to slip if on gravel or wet ground (Just like pulling back brake on mtb) and it will leave your legs in bits after- The dreaded DOMS effect :eek:

Do a few IMRA runs if at all possible and you will soon get the idea by following those descending a bit faster than you.
    That way you will be more likely to challenge your self imposed "limits" which of course are an individual factor.

Good luck with it - It is a super race and atmosphere in Strandhill

Excuseless wrote: »
    "Go For It" is generally best idea for the descent.

To overtake just move out when you get close to folk ahead, call "passing on right/ left" if you are going to be anyway close to them and pass out in parallel.

Try to lean forward somewhat and avoid braking for sure as it upsets your rhythm, can cause you to slip if on gravel or wet ground (Just like pulling back brake on mtb) and it will leave your legs in bits after- The dreaded DOMS effect :eek:

Do a few IMRA runs if at all possible and you will soon get the idea by following those descending a bit faster than you.
    That way you will be more likely to challenge your self imposed "limits" which of course are an individual factor.

Good luck with it - It is a super race and atmosphere in Strandhill

Thanks for that, good advice.
    However, I just realised now I asked for advice descending when I actually meant to say climbing.
    How do you get past those climbing at a slower pace than you want to go?

On the IMRA runs, while it would be nice, being based in Galway means its not an option. Not enough hill runs down this end of the country.
    I'll just have to get out & do some offroad myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

fleck wrote: »
    I'd be looking at intermediate half marathon training plans and will throw Howth Hill into a few training routes.
    I'm a first timer myself and I'm wondering roughly how long it'll take me. I'm aiming to be fit enough to do a 75 minuter for 10 miles on the flat. any ideas?

Howth hill has nothing on knocknarae, I did the loop from Sutton village into Howth, up Howth hill and back down the far end last week. An 11k loop in total, while good prep for the legs it has nothing on the warriors off road section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

However, I just realised now I asked for advice descending when I actually meant to say climbing.

On the IMRA runs, while it would be nice, being based in Galway means its not an option. Not enough hill runs down this end of the country.

Depends. You can wait till there's space along the route but you could be left waiting.

Else just put in a small surge and go around.

Sometimes when you do that, you realise the pace was fine all along!

I've only done warriors once but getting in a good position before the narrow sections would be my tactic. Worth going out a bit hard.

It's what makes mountain running interesting. Go out hard, get a good position and hang on. Or go out conservatively, reel people in and have the legs for the long run in. Sometimes, it's worth tucking in behind people on climbs to recover a bit and stops you blowing up.

Downhill. Just go for it as above. You do it enough times and you can read the terrain a bit, eg, that rock won't hold your weight, what line to take, waving your arms like a lunatic etc.

I kinda just go for it. The first year I practised the decent a few times, and had a route on the wider sections of the hill kinda planed, running across the hill.

The narrower sections it was just finding that gap, and called out either 'on your left' or 'on your right'.

And like you said, being brave. On the top to middle section there is quite a lot of leaping of ledges, weaving, and picking your steps several one ahead.

The second attempt, hadn't really trained, and had only been on the hill once between race day and my first attempt at the race, so was a bit more cautious in places.

Yes, on both attempts, there was braking, especailly if on the far end of that leap there is other runners, or if you know the landing my not hold. The gate where your landing is smoothed stone, and the path only 3-4 shoulder width wide is an example.

Long sections of the climb are going arcross the hill, and due to the nature of the land, is marked in a way as well. Some sections are single file as well, yes there is short blasts where you can pass, but it can be slow, not just because its a procession of bodies, but also because its bloody steep and tiring.

Streets of Sligo this afternoon, last planned race (so far) for me before the Warriors.

Anyone know of any 10ks in the NW coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Check out Sligo Road Race league on facebook. Next up Ransboro 10km on Sat 29th June.

• Advertisement

d.runs wrote: »
    Check out Sligo Road Race league on facebook. Next up Ransboro 10km on Sat 29th June.

Just seen another 10k in Manorhamilton the following week. One of them two will definatly be ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well with a month to go hopefully people focus are getting ready for the 31st.

Is anyone planning to run the route (even the road) over the bank holiday, I know T_Runner sometimes does. I might be available early Sunday in case?

Another question, any races over the bank holiday in Sligo as an alternative to running the route.

Not sure what is the best idea but a race would be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

stmochtas wrote: »
    Well with a month to go hopefully people focus are getting ready for the 31st.

Is anyone planning to run the route (even the road) over the bank holiday, I know T_Runner sometimes does. I might be available early Sunday in case?

Another question, any races over the bank holiday in Sligo as an alternative to running the route.

Not sure what is the best idea but a race would be good too.

Hi Stmochtas, hope you and all yours are keeping well.

I wont be down for the bank holiday this year unfortunately.

We have a new arrival due at end of august. Im entered for the race but obviously am a little doubtful1

Re. races there is a 5k in Donegal town on the 5th.

The around the mountain 8 miler is on the 11th i believe with the Sligo trail champs on the 14th:
    The county Sligo Trail Run championships will take place at union wood on Wednesday the 14th of August at 6.30pm. It will be ran over a distance of 9k. Enter online at runireland. Entry for the event is €13 euros which includes a BBQ at Castle Dargan. Showers also available in the clubhouse at the hotel.For any information regarding the event contact 0872660372

For anyone stuck for suitable training options, Ive a few training sessions that worked for me well in recent hill races and a few more which ill post here to give people a few ideas for key session: (4 weeks to go!).

1. Hill sessions---Threadmill:

Incline 10' minimum.

week 1: 7 x 2 mins with 90 s rest.
    week 2: 6 x 3 mins with 90 s rest.
    week 3: 20 mins continuous up.

Effort level. If your life depended on it youd manage one more rep, or a 2-3 mins more.

Makes legs very strong for duration of race. Improves climbing endurance, and road speed greatly due to taking longer more powerful strides.

2. Tempo sessions:

week1: 2 x 10 mins hardish on hilly road ( 2 mins rest) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)
    week 2: 2 x 15 mins hardish on hilly road ( 3 mins rest) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)
    week 3: 2 x 15, 1 x10 hardish on hilly road (rest, 3 mins, 2 mins) finish with 5 x 30 secs fast (30 sec rest)

Makes body used to working for extended periods of time at around race pace.
    Race route would be perfect.

3. Most importantly-Combo sessions: (use as long run)

Long runs based on warriors run route (with old climb and descent). Throw in roughly 5 min medium hard sections with 3 minute jogs. Make sure to get transitions into the 5 min harder sections.

Transitions would be.

Any section with a significant change of gradient or surface.

Build over 3 weeks. The 5 minute sections after the mountain and before it are most important. E.G In week one you could take the mountain steady.

Sugegstions:

Week 1: warriors route: 2 hard 5 min sections before and 4 after mountain making sure to include transitions.

Week2 : Warriors route + 15 mins. Add extra 15 mins easy before start. Add 5 minute sections to mountain.

Week3 : Warriors route: 10 minutes warmup: Then 5 min 3 mins all the way back to strandhill. Dont do this one within 8 days of the race.

Make sure your legs feel fast. To do this run 10 x 100m relaxed but fast at the end of any easy run once a week.

Apart from sessions all other running should be easy.

Id reckon alternating 2 out of those 3 sessions a week with a third fast flat session e.g 12 x 400s or 8 x 1000s

Any questions fire away

First of all Congrats. I am in a similar boat but not until October so I will get the warriors in no problem.

Thanks for all the advice here, some excellent stuff. I hope to do some of these sessions for definite before the Warriors.

Will be in touch to let you know how the final prep is going.

If you can, get 2 long offroad runs in with plenty of relaxed descending.
    Run on the road fast right after if you can

See treadmill sessions above also for climbing. Can you run up a mountain 4 miles into a 10 mile hard race? If not then practice walking uphill during those long runs. The treadmill is good for leg strenght and climbing strenght throughout the race.

Leg strenght is important for the long road after the mountain. Getting the legs used to descending and them running hard on the flat is necessary for this section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

T runner wrote: »
    If you can, get 2 long offroad runs in with plenty of relaxed descending.
    Run on the road fast right after if you can

Leg strenght is important for the long road after the mountain. Getting the legs used to descending and them running hard on the flat is necessary for this section too.

+1 on that. During my warriors run 2 years ago, I found the undulating section after the downhill to be the toughest. Of course the uphill bit is physically harder but mentally this bit along by Rathcarrick is toughest. I had practised hard running on the flat after descending but even better to practise some ups & downs - those little molehills can turn into mountains.

Regarding passing on the uphill, there is room to pass individuals but you could get stuck behind a group. It's important to get into position on the approach to the mountain. Hold back for the first few kms, then get to the front of your group on the Glen Road and the first part of the off-road. I'm sure it depends on how closely packed your part of the race is but its about being ready to pass when the path allows. Familiarity with the course really helps with this.

Right guys, does anyone know the distance from when you return to the road until the finish. I think I remember it being 4 miles but looking for something a bit more accurate. I want to know what time I need to be @ this point in order to achieve a 1:20 at least if everything else works out.

Right guys, does anyone know the distance from when you return to the road until the finish. I think I remember it being 4 miles but looking for something a bit more accurate. I want to know what time I need to be @ this point in order to achieve a 1:20 at least if everything else works out.

Hi Stmochtas, your right it's 4 miles from the knocknarea car park back to the finish line

Just saw this. Distances of each section, elevation change and referenced map attached.

A lot of people actually run a faster average pace on the road up to the mountain than on the road back. The descent thrashes the legs.

Downhill Conditioned hill runners and high mileage marathoners seem to fair best.

A test run over the whole course (running a little steady out to the mountain so youre not too tired to get the benefit of pushing hard thereafter) might be a good option now. A good one for confidence too.

• Advertisement

Interesting, but no use to us non-locals who can't do a dry run of the course.
    Looking at my stats from last year, I can see where I was slow and where I can hopefully improve my times.
    Was killed with blisters which affected my time last year, so hoping this year I can get to the offroad in better shape, push on up the climb & down the decent, then hold on with a much steadier last road section to knock a pile of time off.

Looking for 10 mins improvement which is a challenge, but doable if things go right on the day.

Advertisement