Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2013

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I thought you were going to ask could you bring your dog on the run. :eek:

If you can run the loop without stopping you should be fine for the run. your lungs will get a rest while you potter up the mountain (though your legs will not get a break) and then you can go back to running again once you reach the top.

rest, and ice your legs tonight and hopefully you'll be fine in the morning. I actually got shin splints for the first time in my life last year, I went into a jauzzi for about 45 minutes and they were much better.

Do not do this run if you are injured, you should always use caution when running. If you are in pain you shouldn't risk making an injury worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cabbagesnkings

haha! Thanks a million. Have a great weekend!

Drove down last night, woke up at 8am to a nice day, it's now raining quite heavily. I've gone back into bed and I'm just watching the rain....I don't want to get up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cloneslad wrote: »
    Drove down last night, woke up at 8am to a nice day, it's now raining quite heavily. I've gone back into bed and I'm just watching the rain....I don't want to get up :(

Sun is starting to come out now in the town. But was at the Strand yesterday evening, you couldn't even see the mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

1. Brian MacMahon 52:49
    2. Emmet Dunleavy 54:06
    3. Allan Maguire 54:38

Is that a new course record? Last year that time was beaten was in 1989 by John Lenihan (52:04) but maybe course has changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Its a new course record for that course, the course john lenihan ran has since changed.The winner is a mountain runner so he prob found the course easy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Women's result
    1. Breege Connolly (North Belfast) 63:06
    2. Catriona Higgins (Sportsworld) 69:49
    3. Aisling Van Rensberg (North Sligo) 70:06

That is an international standard time by Breege Connolly who was bronze medallist in the 2013 inter-clubs cross-country. It is faster than Maria McCambridge's 2010 time of 63:36 and only the 2005 winner - American Michellle McGoldrick 61:39 - has ran faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

climbhigh wrote: »
    1. Brian MacMahon 52:49
    2. Emmet Dunleavy 54:06
    3. Allan Maguire 54:38

Is that a new course record? Last year that time was beaten was in 1989 by John Lenihan (52:04) but maybe course has changed?

The old course was 50-60s slower than the new course for a hill conditioned runner capable of runnng it in 1 hour. One of lenihans times ( not counting the uphill only year) was on a shorter course similar to this year. I think it was the year he ran 51 min. That was also took in a deep mucky climb on the north side of the hill to soften spirits up before climbing the bowl from that side.
    Only 1 year deviated from the long route until the current route in 2009, although the direction changed.
    That means he probably ran his 50 on the long course in '86 which is the equivalent of sub 50 on the current course. A remarkable run.

Mcgoldricks time on the long course was notable for her road speed as those around her reported her being very poor on the way down. I think mccambridges time was good although she ran conservatively throughout and her section after the mountain was steady enough (she passed me in a very comfortable state) althoug with no serious challenger on the day. Breege connolly in a similar boat too at that stage of the race i guess.

I think emmett in 2nd ran a good race, holding back a little. Up against the best climber in ireland a 45s loss on the hill wasnt bad, but no way back after. Maguire in3rd seems to pop up with some serious performances. He gave des kennedy a serious run for his money on troopers before they both turned wrong. 54 mins is a serious time for an occasional racer and non club runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

That was a tough day at the office. Have to analyse it fully, but my descent was slower than I hoped.
    Managed to get in under 1:20, so considering I hobbled home with knee problems 7 days before the race, happy enough to improve my time & finish it without a repeat occurrence.

Think I need to get some serious hill training in ahead of my 3rd attempt next year, the offroad running is completely different to tarmac hill-reps. Picking your steps out with an irregular stride pattern takes quite a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

1:25 for me. Paid for not doing specific training and my legs are sore now. Happy enough to have another one under the belt though. A great day out. Next year has to be my sub 1:20 :-)

• Advertisement

1:26 for me, going up the mountain i lost a load of time took me 25 mins to get to the top of the mountain from the turn off and a good 10 mins to descend. Slowest yet. I found the descend tough as there was a big group of us and every time i went to pass someone out i nearly lost my footing, i got a sharp pain up my right foot when i stepped on some sharp stones it didnt affect my running for rest of the race but yesterday and today its very sore to run on. If it stays like that for the rest of the week i will have to go see a physio. Hopefully its nothing, i have a marathon to do in OCT and i cant really afford the downtime.

I was in cruise control on the way home didnt push myself at all. I have no reason for it other than i was enjoying the run and wasnt really running with any time in mind. Next year now i am going to do some IMRA runs which i think will help with the warriors. I am going start training in january with the race in mind loads of speed work and hill climbing.

stmochtas wrote: »
    1:25 for me. Paid for not doing specific training and my legs are sore now. Happy enough to have another one under the belt though. A great day out. Next year has to be my sub 1:20 :-)

What have your times being? Have you come close to sub 1:20?

Overall time was 1:31:00 (2nd slowest/fastest over 3 attempts), think I may have missed the PB on the way down the mountain. Kept a pretty good pace from the start to the gate at the foot of the mountain, reached this in I think 22 minutes, despite slowing to a quick walk for the length of the Glen Rd section.

Was at the top at around 49 minutes, the climb was single file in alot of places, came to almost a complete halt on one or two ocassions due to traffic, although made places where I could, also tried to save energy for the desent and the road back in.

The decent took me 8 minutes, my slowest yet (best 4-5 minutes), desended very quick as far as the gate where I got a sudden bout of cramps throughout my body and nausea, bringing me to a complete halt twice between there and the carpark, and was never able to reach my top speed again before reaching the carpark. Even though there had been quite a bit of rain, found the grip quite good.

From there back to the finish was almost my best yet, in the three attempts have never managed to complete it without slowing to a walk on 4 to 5 ocaasions, on this time think I only slowed about 3 times, and each time was only briefly. Found the support on this section great as well, with the crowd and other runners really pushing each other on. Had enough left in the tank for a quick finish, to give the crowd a cheer, and to get quick as time as possible.

Managed to stagger though the finish area, and grab a bottle, before the legs buckled and I fell to the ground near the portaloos. Sucked in the air for a while, before getting to my feet, composing my self and making my way back to the finish straight to cheer a few on, and heading to the village for a massage and shower, and on to the bar for a well deserved few pints.

Congrats to everyone who finished. You are all WARRIORS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    What have your times being? Have you come close to sub 1:20?

No 2 attempts 1:27 and now 1:25. I know there is more to gain.

NEVER AGAIN...NEVER AGAIN...NEVER AGAIN

so when does registration open up ;)

NEVER AGAIN...NEVER AGAIN...NEVER AGAIN

so when does registration open up ;)

LOL.

Said even before this years run, would be unlikely to run next year as aiming for the GF West, now I think I just might, still have a point to proof , and a PB to beat.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    LOL.

Said even before this years run, would be unlikely to run next year as aiming for the GF West, now I think I just might, still have a point to proof , and a PB to beat.

:D

I say it every year when I'm crying on the way up the mountain. I think next year will be my 7th time doing it.

I say it every year when I'm crying on the way up the mountain. I think next year will be my 7th time doing it.

There is something kind of addictive about it.

Advertisement