Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Moderation on Boards.ie

Options
  • 30-05-2013 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭

Some forums have virtually zero moderation, where anything goes and you can exercise freedom of speech and expression without penalisation for expressing honest opinions. Of course there is a down side to unmoderated fora, with trolling and bullying being prevalent, but then some of this exists in even moderated fora.

Other forums are heavily moderated, some might even argue, over-moderated, and to the extent where a suppression of freedom of speech is taking place. Of course the site owners argue that it is their site, their private cyber-property, and that they can thus choose what is and what is not socially acceptable on their site.

I want to gauge opinion on the moderation of Boards.ie, and as a means of providing feedback to the moderation team on what they are doing right or wrong, thus providing an opportunity for some honest suggestions on how moderators can sustain, review, or perhaps improve their moderation, if a significant number of poster's feel that there is room for improvement.

So what do you think? Is Boards.ie under-moderated, over-moderated, or are Boards.ie moderators getting it just about right?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thats very good of you and a huge task to boot. Luckly there is a forum on the site where just this kind of information is stored for all to read. You should have a look through the posts there and piece your information from it.
    It's called Feedback.
    Do you need a link?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Of course the site owners argue that it is their site, their private cyber-property, and that they can thus choose what is and what is not socially acceptable on their site.

Well yeah. That's kind of how privately owned websites work the world over.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Join date 10/02/2013. 3 forum bans, 6 infractions and 6 warnings. Hmmm, let me guess - you're on the over-moderated side,aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

for what its worth i think its quite well moderated. i have had a couple of warnings from the mods and they were warranted. the only issue i would have with one or two is they are very biased and dont take kindly to being contradicted . its their opinion or no opinion.
    overall i think its very well moderated on the forums i have visited

lol bertie. you are obviously a serial offender. a lot of 4 and 5 stars coming after you now. if your track record is what zaph says i would say youre probably lucky not to have a life ban. dont know what kind of carry on would get you that record.

• Advertisement

gowley wrote: »
    lol bertie. you are obviously a serial offender. a lot of 4 and 5 stars coming after you now. if your track record is what zaph says i would say youre probably lucky not to have a life ban. dont know what kind of carry on would get you that record.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not coming after the OP. I'm seriously in awe of the amount of work he's taking on. He's going to have to go into every forum, check how many mods are working there, guage the mood of the regular posters there, establish the number of mod actions to reported posts, allow for mod actions thatare carried out without reports being generated, find any disgruntled posters who no longer use that forum and then try (without access to any moderator tools) to gleen if the disgruntled poster has a case to answer.
    Phew.
    And that just the start of it.
    He'll have to come to terms with logic loops where no matter what the level of moderation some posters will always act the dick.
    Of course there is a down side to unmoderated fora, with trolling and bullying being prevalent, but then some of this exists in even moderated fora.
    (Sorry for selective quoting that but I'm still trying to understand your point).

Perhaps the thread should have a poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

OldGoat wrote: »
    Thats very good of you and a huge task to boot. Luckly there is a forum on the site where just this kind of information is stored for all to read. You should have a look through the posts there and piece your information from it.
    It's called Feedback.
    Do you need a link?

I'm more interested in your feedback in this thread. If you don't want to provide any, have an issue with individual posters attempting to gauge opinion, or perhaps need some help with providing feedback as would seem to be the case, you have found a listening ear.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not coming after the OP. I'm seriously in awe of the amount of work he's taking on. He's going to have to go into every forum, check how many mods are working there, guage the mood of the regular posters there, establish the number of mod actions to reported posts, allow for mod actions thatare carried out without reports being generated, find any disgruntled posters who no longer use that forum and then try (without access to any moderator tools) to gleen if the disgruntled poster has a case to answer.
    Phew.
    And that just the start of it.
    He'll have to come to terms with logic loops where no matter what the level of moderation some posters will always act the dick.
    (Sorry for selective quoting that but I'm still trying to understand your point).

Perhaps the thread should have a poll.

Perhaps you should provide some feedback on moderation as is the purpose of this thread, instead of dictating what I should or should not do. Again, if you have issues with providing moderation feedback, positive or negative, there must be a reason for it.

My "point" is contained within the OP. If you do not wish to provide feedback on moderation, I see no point in hanging around and getting all upset and authoritarian, as would seem to be the case.

Please, feel free to use this thread for its intended purpose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Op grinds axe. Ridicule ensues. Thread dies with an OP and friends vs. regulars stalemate.

Gets bumped by somebody else with an agenda. Gets locked. Nobody learns anything and everybody wastes some time.

5 stars. Would moan pointlessly again.

/Ragequits the thread in a fit of upset and authoritarian pique.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The scope of the OP is a bit, well, grand.

There's hundreds of forums on Boards, loads of them have their own feedback threads and many more have had their affairs discussed in here already.

• Advertisement

Op grinds axe. Ridicule ensues. Thread dies with an OP and friends vs. regulars stalemate.

Gets bumped by somebody else with an agenda. Gets locked. Nobody learns anything and everybody wastes some time.

5 stars. Would moan pointlessly again.

It would seem that you have some issues with the provision of a thread which enables site users to provide some honest feedback on moderation.

"Axe grinding" and "agendas"; can you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It would seem that you have some issues with the provision of a thread which enables site users to provide some honest feedback on moderation.

"Axe grinding" and "agendas"; can you elaborate?

Rather than drag the thread further down the road to Clusterfuck than it already is, why not expand on your original post with specific examples of fora and specific examples of moderation.

Nodin wrote: »
    Rather than drag the thread further down the road to Clusterfuck than it already is, why not expand on your original post with specific examples of fora and specific examples of moderation.

It's very encouraging to witness your new found ability to desist from repeatedly asking the same question over and over again as a means of deflecting from an innate inability to provide a simple definition of a word.

But of course this is a different thread; a thread on moderator feedback. Can I ask why you have used the word "cluster****" in relation to this thread, and why you have failed to state your personal opinion on moderation?

I couldn't help notice that your repetitive posting style had the effect of obstructing the flow of my last thread. Is one about to embark upon another escapade of a similar nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think the mods are great.

They all have lovely bottoms.

Gordon wrote: »

In your experience, might this be due to regular poster's attending to their "bottoms" with an appropriate level of hygiene?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Are you talking figuratively?

It's very (.....) nature?

I'll try again

In your op you stated
    Some forums have virtually zero moderation, where anything goes and you can exercise freedom of speech and expression without penalisation for expressing honest opinions. Of course there is a down side to unmoderated fora, with trolling and bullying being prevalent, but then some of this exists in even moderated fora.

Other forums are heavily moderated, some might even
    argue, over-moderated, and to the extent where a suppression of freedom of speech is taking place. Of course the site owners argue that it is their site, their private cyber-property, and that they can thus choose what is and what is not socially acceptable on their site.

..so as to keep the thread on-topic, you might provide examples of those things you've listed above. It would greatly help as discussion of the issue is virtually impossible without specifics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You OK Gordon?

I told you that wine the prison inmates make in the toilets was dodgy :\

:D

I'll try again

In your op you stated

..so as to keep the thread on-topic, you might provide examples of those things you've listed above. It would greatly help as discussion of the issue is virtually impossible without specifics.

Looks like you're about to embark upon another cleverly crafted roll.

Shall this be another white knuckle ride like your last?

And is there any specific reason why you are not leaving any feedback for the moderators and seem intent on taking the thread off-topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

And is there any specific reason why you are not leaving any feedback for the moderators?

Is there any reason you're not leaving specific feedback?

• Advertisement

And is there any specific reason why you are not leaving any feedback for the moderators and seem intent on taking the thread off-topic?

So you've no interest in your own OP then?

I'm happy with the moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Moderation for some, miniature [nationality of your choice] flags for others?

So you've no interest in your own OP then?

I'm happy with the moderation.

Please, be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And some have nice bewbs, even some of the men* :P

*I have no personal experience of seeing Mods bewbs, womens or mens

LizT wrote: »
    Is there any reason you're not leaving specific feedback?

Good things come to those who wait, sweetheart.

I'm just warming the herd, sorry, crowd.

Please, be specific.

In the forums that I visit and post on (visible via a glance at where I post) I'm happy with the way the moderators run the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

In regards to censorship in think the OP is somewhat right, some moderators will <snip> your <snip> if you talk about <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Please, be specific.

This precise kind of crap is what has you near a permaban from Politics. You cannot make a point and refuse to define it and then demand others to define it. Here you're refusing to be specific and being evasive and yet have the gall to demand other users be specific.

This kind of posting will get you banned from Politics and most likely the rest of the forums you frequent. This is the final warning you will get about this kind of behaviour from me, next time I see it in Soc it will be a ban.

In the forums that I visit and post on (visible via a glance at where I post) I'm happy with the way the moderators run the place.
    are you aspiring to be a moderator nodin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Please, be specific.
    Thats what you've been asked to do, yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement