Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Moderation on Boards.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

Nodin wrote: »
    In the forums that I visit and post on (visible via a glance at where I post) I'm happy with the way the moderators run the place.

Great! Positive feedback for the mods!

Now that wasn't difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

justryan wrote: »
    In regards to censorship in think the OP is somewhat right, some moderators will <snip> your <snip> if you talk about <snip>

Mostly, we're given guidelines on what has to be snipped. Most of it is for legal reasons and I'd say that covers 90% of snips. The other 10% is common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this some sort of game to see how many mods we can get into this thread?

I like it.

nesf wrote: »
    This precise kind of crap is what has you near a permaban from Politics. You cannot make a point and refuse to define it and then demand others to define it. Here you're refusing to be specific and being evasive and yet have the gall to demand other users be specific.

This kind of posting will get you banned from Politics and most likely the rest of the forums you frequent. This is the final warning you will get about this kind of behaviour from me, next time I see it in Soc it will be a ban.

Like most moderators, you strike me as an intelligent, tolerant, light-hearted, good natured and discerning fellow, with a terrific sense of humour and impeccable judgement.

Five stars.

That's positive feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

they dont seem to like bertie. but it seems he has previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good things come to those who wait, sweetheart.
    Talking down to someone,
    I'm just warming the herd, sorry, crowd.
    admission of flame-baiting,

smart. if a bit daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Steve wrote: »
    Mostly, we're given guidelines on what has to be snipped. Most of it is for legal reasons and I'd say that covers 90% of snips. The other 10% is common sense.

Oh I don't blame moderators for snipping where necessary, just sometimes it borders on censorship. I'd say it is tough call to make partcularly where moderators have formed friendships with regulars users who post something controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Like most moderators, you strike me as an intelligent, tolerant, light-hearted, good natured and discerning fellow, with a terrific sense of humour and impeccable judgement.

Five stars.

That's positive feedback!

Look, I don't care, I just want peace on the forums I've some responsibility for. The only time you will find me breathing down your neck is if you're causing hassle, which is what you've been doing. Cut out the behaviour you're getting warnings and bans for and magically you'll find mods are no longer giving you hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

justryan wrote: »
    Oh I don't blame moderators for snipping where necessary, just sometimes it borders on censorship. I'd say it is tough call to make partcularly where moderators have formed friendships with regulars users who post something controversial.
    Yep, it's even tougher when we have to ban them :(

Overheal wrote: »
    Talking down to someone,

Not at all, just being friendly.
    admission of flame-baiting,

smart. if a bit daft.

That's just your interpretation.

Why so serious-minded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why so Sesame Street?

Why so serious-minded?
    Why so troll?

seriously?

Why not say what's on your mind and be done with it - at least then there could
    be some discussion on it - as opposed to the suicide by trolling approach?

you are fighting a losing battle bertie. all the mods and want to be mods have got yuo in their sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think bertie would secretly love to be a mod and this is his way of appearing on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We've a permanent feedback thread on the politics forum and there's tumbleweed running through it for months, that's not a definitive measure, but the vast majority of posters seem to have no major problem with the rules or moderation. Of the small percentage that do get into bother, many accept they over stepped the mark, learn from it and get on with it.

Then we have a tiny percentage that cause bother on the forum, ignoring rules and moderation that the vast majority accept, and they cause bother not just for mods, but far more importantly for the vast majority of posters and readers on the forum.

Personally, I don't accept a individuals freedom of speech which often includes their perceived right to insult, troll, soap box and ignore other peoples point of view, is equal to the vast majority of users rights to have discussion and debate, but they can still do it relatively respectfully and civilly.

With rights come responsibility, and I never see much talk of "what behaviour should I do to help freedom of speech on the internet?", just I'll say what I want, when I want, your problem if you find it offensive and fight the powa!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think bertie would secretly love to be a mod and this is his way of appearing on the radar.

So criminals would secretly like to be Garda, and that's their way of appearing on the radar?

slightly sceptical,
    Scofflaw

Look, I don't care, I just want peace on the forums I've some responsibility for. The only time you will find me breathing down your neck is if you're causing hassle, which is what you've been doing. Cut out the behaviour you're getting warnings and bans for and magically you'll find mods are no longer giving you hassle.

Well, at least you've acknowledged that I've been receiving "hassle", and that's to your credit. The way I see it, receiving warnings, infractions and bans for petty things like pointing out a posters poor grammar, talking about Irish history in a thread on a united Ireland, making a less than complimentary comment on Margaret Thatcher's demise, recognising a troll and calling aforementioned troll "a troll", making a non-offensive, humorous and lighthearted comment on homosexuality, requesting a poster to post an intelligent comment instead of the utter guff he has been posting, pointing out a poster's consistent inability to provide a simple definition of a word to enable me to answer his question, and then being accused of trolling for making a humorous remark in relation to a poster's Irish Republican ancestry ...all of this simply shouts "WE ARE OVER-MODERATING, WE HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR, WE ARE PETTY-MINDED, WE ARE MISINTERPRETING INNOCENT COMMENTS AND TAKING LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, WE ARE ACTING LIKE MEGALOMANIACS, CONTROL FREAKS AND FASCISTS".

I have now provided my moderator feedback, unlike most other forum posters, who strike me as a herd of sheep who are in the business of kissing moderator ass .

Thanks for listening, and enjoy your Friday morning. :)

Well, at least you've acknowledged that I've been receiving "hassle", and that's to your credit. The way I see it, receiving warnings, infractions and bans for petty things like pointing out a posters poor grammar, talking about Irish history in a thread on a united Ireland, making a less than complimentary comment on Margaret Thatcher's demise, recognising a troll and calling aforementioned troll "a troll", making a non-offensive, humorous and lighthearted comment on homosexuality, requesting a poster to post an intelligent comment instead of the utter guff he has been posting, pointing out a poster's consistent inability to provide a simple definition of a word to enable me to answer his question, and then being accused of trolling for making a humorous remark in relation to a poster's Irish Republican ancestry ...all of this simply shouts "WE ARE OVER-MODERATING, WE HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR, WE ARE PETTY-MINDED, WE ARE MISINTERPRETING INNOCENT COMMENTS AND TAKING LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, WE ARE ACTING LIKE MEGALOMANIACS, CONTROL FREAKS AND FASCISTS".

I have now provided my moderator feedback, unlike most other forum posters, who strike me as a herd of sheep who are in the business of kissing moderator ass .

Thanks for listening, and enjoy your Friday morning. :)

So that's a no to quitting the crap you've been doing? Because I can just ban you now and save all of us time and trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Scofflaw wrote: »
    So criminals would secretly like to be Garda, and that's their way of appearing on the radar?

slightly sceptical,
    Scofflaw

Nah. Criminals do it for financial gain, mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I didn't know you were a grammar nazi, that changes everything, all your sins are forgiven.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

So that's a no to quitting the crap you've been doing? Because I can just ban you now and save all of us time and trouble.
    thats it nesf. pull rank. i have never seen so many mods on one thread. i think the few mods who just want to assert their power make this a joke. small man syndrome maybe

gowley wrote: »
    thats it nesf. pull rank. i have never seen so many mods on one thread. i think the few mods who just want to assert their power make this a joke. small man syndrome maybe

You are seeing one part of this. The majority of mods in this thread are not particularly relevant to what I've been talking about but the Politics mods have been dealing with this user for a while now and this user is refusing to play by the same rules everyone else plays by. I'm being blunt because we already tried the softly, softly approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Since Mods don't actually get paid for doing fora moderation they're doing a great job and as someone pointed out there's over a hundred fora on boards.ie and keeping track of everything in a mods' forum must be a unenviable task and then not to count abuse they may get from disgruntled posters. If you're not happy with the moderation here I'm sure there's other Irish forums available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You are seeing one part of this. The majority of mods in this thread are not particularly relevant to what I've been talking about but the Politics mods have been dealing with this user for a while now and this user is refusing to play by the same rules everyone else plays by. I'm being blunt because we already tried the softly, softly approach.

There are always a fraction of posters who believe that what they personally have to say is so important that any attempt to prevent them saying it in exactly the way they want to say it is clearly oppression, and whose definition of good moderation is the mods respectfully shushing those who might otherwise be failing to show the poster the proper awe.

Our issue is that people who can't express their opinion without being bullying, rude, or deliberately provocative prevent everyone else enjoying themselves, just as similar loudmouths would at any gathering. The content of the opinion is irrelevant.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well I'm going to be even blunter - the next warning, infraction or forum ban that the OP picks up will be translated into a permanent siteban. We've all got better things to be doing than dealing with this sort of sh*te and if he won't play by our rules then there's little point in entertaining him any further.

/thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement