Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return rail journey from different station

• 30-05-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is within the rules to make the return part of a rail journey from a different station down the line?

Example-

I will be making the outward journey from Wexford to Dublin Pearse, but wish to make the return to Wexford from Greystones station instead.

Is ok to just use a return ticket from Wexford to Dublin Pearse, or do I need to buy two singles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is within the rules to make the return part of a rail journey from a different station down the line?

Example-

I will be making the outward journey from Wexford to Dublin Pearse, but wish to make the return to Wexford from Greystones station instead.

Is ok to just use a return ticket from Wexford to Dublin Pearse, or do I need to buy two singles?

Shouldn't be a problem if you are getting off earlier than your return stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

mfceiling wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem if you are getting off earlier than your return stop.

getting on later I guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

corktina wrote: »

Yes, that's what I meant!

I won't be diddling Irish Rail out of any money, but I wonder if there'll be a problem swiping a ticket through the Greystones gate that's meant to be going from Dublin Pearse?

I'll be bringing my bike so I can't go through the automated gates anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

corktina wrote: »

Think I meant that too!!

Shouldn't be a problem I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Laviski

say you fell asleep :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I won't be diddling Irish Rail out of any money, but I wonder if there'll be a problem swiping a ticket through the Greystones gate that's meant to be going from Dublin Pearse?

There shouldn't be any problem as you are starting your return journey from a station south of Dublin Pearse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hungerford wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any problem as you are starting your return journey from a station south of Dublin Pearse.

That's what I was hoping, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's what I was hoping, thanks.
    There may be a problem if the normal fare from Greystones to Wexford is greater than the fare you pay from Pearse to Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There may be a problem if the normal fare from Greystones to Wexford is greater than the fare you pay from Pearse to Wexford.

How? If an inspector gets on any time after Greystones, the OP simply presents his tickets showing that he has a valid ticket all the way to Wexford. Isn't that all the inspector cares about? How is the inspector to know that the OP got on at Greystones and not Pearse & why would he even care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I've done it not on the same line but once you haven't booked a specific seat (which you may lose) you've probably paid more tban the journey is worth - and your ticket covers the complete journey no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This post has been deleted.

Why? It's more expensive to travel to Dublin from Athy than from Kildare so what's the big deal?

I know fewer trains go to Athy than Kildare but it's still more expensive to travel there. I think it should be cheaper because the Dublin-Waterford service stinks - literally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Emme wrote: »
    Why? It's more expensive to travel to Dublin from Athy than from Kildare so what's the big deal?

Kildare-Dublin day return is 22.90, Athy-Dublin day return is 17.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

LeftBlank wrote: »
    Kildare-Dublin day return is 22.90, Athy-Dublin day return is 17.00.

OK, but the annual commuter ticket is €800 more expensive from Athy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Emme wrote: »
    OK, but the annual commuter ticket is €800 more expensive from Athy.

We're not talking about annual commuter tickets here - my understanding is that point to point annual tickets are valid to/from any stations with the two end points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

LeftBlank wrote: »
    We're not talking about annual commuter tickets here - my understanding is that point to point annual tickets are valid to/from any stations with the two end points.
    Yes a point to point seasonal ticket can be used for any number of journeys between the stations listed on the ticket, so an Athy-Heuston annual ticket can be used from Newbridge, Sallins, Kildare etc to any other station between Athy and Heuston. It can also be used for the buses to/from Sallins & Naas and Hazlehatch & Celbridge

Advertisement