Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried about safety issue

Options
  • 30-05-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

we have a 2 year old that we leave down to a childminder twice a week for four hours each stay. We find her very good, he seems happy enough and he is well looked after. I have a major worry though, there is no gate at the front of the house and it is right on a pretty busy road. She says not to worry as she always locks the front door, but I have called down a couple of times since I voiced my concerns, only to find the door unlocked.

Now our lad cant reach the door handle, I know this as I have seen him trying to reach it once. He is about 2 inches from it at full stretch. I am constantly worrying that he will use something to stand on in order to reach the handle, and that there will be a chance that the door will be left unlocked. He is also getting pretty quick on his feet.

The couple of times I raised my concerns with the childminder, she said not to worry as she will lock the door. But the house has callers that drop in and out during the day, and Id be sure that the door isn't always locked after each caller leaves. The door is about 10 metres from the entrance of the house. Am I being unduly concerned? My wife thinks I am.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I dont think you're wrong here.

Kids grow and are ingenius when it comes to figuring things out.
    Since my son started being able to turn the knob on the door and got out one day(scary) we turn the lock and put on the door chain when we are in.
    Definitely raise it with her again but be diplomatic or find another minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

When it is to do with your children , always follow your gut feelings , as if something were to happen you will never forgive yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def pull her again on it, if no I'd find a new sitter, harsh I know but as above posters said I would'nt leave it to chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I know when I was a toddler I found my way out the front door, out the estate and onto the main N17 road and sat in the middle of it (luckily I was not hurt or worse) so you are correct to be careful with this.

An unlocked front door is a risk you don't need to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Get a new chlldminder, he is not being "well looked after" if the door is unlocked and there is no gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I would not be happy about that at all. I personally would be looking for a new childminder. If the door is unlocked that to me suggested he is not being well looked after, the risk of him getting out onto a busy road is high. Even if he can't reach the handle now he will in a very short time. Ask to see her Heath and Safety policy and a copy of her insurance. Is she HSE notified or Voluntary notified to the local CCC?
    The fact she is not acting on concerns you have raised would be a red light to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

A few days ago I looked out my window and saw a small child running down the middle of the road with nobody with her. I ran out and so did another of my neighbours. The minder of the child was coming running but was a good bit behind the child and nowhere near catching her.
    She was heading for a bend in the road and some of the cars that come through the estate don't drive that slowly.

It's not worth the risk, you've seen him trying to reach the handle, its only a matter of time before he grows the 2 inches he needs.

Advertisement