Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotty for game/vermin

Options
  • 30-05-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hey Lads,
    Just looking for a bit of advice, ive just been accepted to a gunclub:D
    I am just looking for a few peoples 2c on choice of shotgun!! i have owned firearms before had to let them go due to finances but im able to get back on the horse now!!

the gun will mostly be used for vermin, crows rabbits foxes etc however it will also be used for game.......
    So im wondering if i should go with an O/U, a semi or a pump??

cheers lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Side by side , imho nothing beats it for carrying all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

to be honest i hadnt even considered a side by side, thats not to say i wouldnt its just ive never used one!! so it didnt spring to mind when i was thinking of what gun to buy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Either an over/under (O/U) or a semi auto.

For game/vermin i would look at something light weight, and mobile. With 28" barrels, multiple chokes. Of course it will depend on your budget.

You are looking at something from €500 to €2,500 depending on budget, new, taste, etc.

Personally i don't like pumps or side by sides. A pump to me seems counter productive. A semi auto holds the same amount of rounds but there is no need to manually cycle the action. A side by side, well never liked the design, feel fit of them. Also limited with choke, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Whatever configuration you decide to go for, get a game gun if you don't go for a semi or pump. Sporters and trap guns are way too heavy to carry around all day. Don't get too hung up on changeable chokes either, gameguns tend to have a combination of chokes anyway with the first barrel a more open choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rowa wrote: »
    Side by side , imho nothing beats it for carrying all day long.
    +1 on that

• Advertisement

the budget would be around 800ish, i could stretch a bit more for the right gun!! my taste doesn't match whats in my wallet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Never had a SxS but had an o/u loved it might have been a bit heavy. I have a semi now and love it more. Still trying to get my head around the chokes. Haven said that you need a gun with a single trigger and ejectors. My first gun didn't have either so had to change it.

Some semis have trouble reloading with light loads ie. 28g etcs. I was lucky with mine it does. There just a couple if things I found hopefully it gives you more to think about.

Why do you need a single trigger ? if when carrying my sxs a bird gets up close I use the front trigger because that fires the open choked barrel, if it is at some distance I use the back trigger because that's the more tightly choked barrel. On single trigger guns there is a tiny fiddly little switch that you have to use to select the barrel and is difficult to use under pressure.

And what chokes does your SxS take? Do all SxS take chokes?

An O/U may have a "fiddly little switch", but like all things you get handy with it quick enough. An O/U is fair more versatile, and popular than a SxS. As is a semi auto. So for buying, trading, and re-sale they are the better option.

Now i don't want to turn this into a pissing match between which people think is better, but for the sake of giving the OP a true breakdown of options is it not better to list the pros and cons of a make.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    And what chokes does your SxS take? Do all SxS take chokes?

An O/U may have a "fiddly little switch", but like all things you get handy with it quick enough. An O/U is fair more versatile, and popular than a SxS. As is a semi auto. So for buying, trading, and re-sale they are the better option.

Now i don't want to turn this into a pissing match between which people think is better, but for the sake of giving the OP a true breakdown of options is it not better to list the pros and cons of a make.

I don't know what chokes are in it , probably no choke in the first barrel and 1/4 or 1/2 in the second, I bought a gun to shoot game with, not to f**k about with or boast about to my friends about.

• Advertisement

I bought a gun to shoot game with, not to f**k about with.......
    What would you class as f**king about with? Selector switch on an U/O, or figuring out which trigger to use first on a SxS?

Having to rely on the fixed choked barrels of a SxS or which choke to use on a multi choked gun?
    ........ or boast about to my friends about.
    You know people that buy guns, not to use, but only to boast that they own them? That's a bit sad.

As I said they were a couple of things I found. Just trying to share my experience so he can make up his mind on what he wants and might trigger something for him to think about.

I don't know where your next post came from but you bought your gun for the same reason as every other genuine hunter.

I've used them all cass , Mossberg pumps , semi auto berettas , browning , beretta , miroku , shadow indy, breda , Baikal etc o/u's, complete with fiddly barrel selector's and yes multi chokes, which are fine on a clay layout but in a mucky icy field in November are surplus to requirements imho. The best gun for game (which is what the op wants it for) after all those that have gone through my hands before is an old English side by side imho, after all its what they are designed for unlike ou's which were mainly a clay gun.

Could not, and would not recommend a SxS.

An O/U, imo, is simply the better option. A semi auto wouldalso be on my recommend list. I never liked the feel of a SxS the fit of them, and the limited use of them.

While the OP has said his reason is for vermin/game the O/U or Semi would suit other purposes whereas the SxS is not as suited to dual purposes.

It's a difference of opinion, and unfortunately you would not change my mind on this matter no more than i you. O/U & Semi come in a variety of brands, makes, models, and all from €500 to the OP's €800 budget new or a better quality gun, second hand.

Rowa while what you say makes sense and if it works for you stick at it. I'm not so lucky where I've owned as many guns but like what I have now, haven said that you like what you have. So the op needs to like what he gets.now he has loads more to think about.

For game crows foxs vermin etc I'd like to be able to change chokes

With 800 to spend you more than Likely wont have to comprimise. You should be able to get a really nice gun for that money.

thanks for all the opinions so far lads

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Dont listen to the comments about sportsters being too heavy..

I have one and gladly walk 3-5 hours.. Mind you in my mid twentys if a little weight bothered me Id be screwed..

I would go with an O/U having had a sxs and a pump. Just a nicer gun to handle.

No point in getting names and going with it.. I was in the market for a new O/U not so long ago.

Was going to get a Beretta but it didn't fit right.. got a silma m80 for myself and I am really impressed with how easy I hit with it. Its all about fit.. Go in with a wad of cash and make your rfd work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I went for a SxS with a selector switch. It's so light you could carry it all day no problems. I don't shoot much clay so this is ideal for me.
    If it's for hunting with and not shooting clays then a side by side is yer only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Good post lads, funny thing is i am looking for a nice side by side for game shooting and I am struggling to find a nice new side by side. Baikal, Yildz...thats all there appears to be, I am not knocking them but I would like something a bit more....I have a budget of about €1,300. The other problem is the length of the stock I need a good 143/4 or 15 inch and evry side by side I've looked at seems to be made a lot shorter. I have always shot with a Beretta 391 for my game needs but back end of last season was out after wood cock with a zabala side by side, the way it nestles into the crook of your arm, the swing and the way I dropped wood cock with it, I am now sold on the idea. Dont want to Hijack a thread but if any sxs shooter can point me in a direction, I would be obliged.

well lads thanks for all the replies so far, havnt really been swayed in any direction really, may just try out a few in the shop see how they shoulder and point and see how i go!!

• Advertisement

That's it that's all you can do. Maybe try get a few shots out of each if you can.

Good post lads, funny thing is i am looking for a nice side by side for game shooting and I am struggling to find a nice new side by side. Baikal, Yildz...thats all there appears to be, I am not knocking them but I would like something a bit more....I have a budget of about €1,300. The other problem is the length of the stock I need a good 143/4 or 15 inch and evry side by side I've looked at seems to be made a lot shorter. I have always shot with a Beretta 391 for my game needs but back end of last season was out after wood cock with a zabala side by side, the way it nestles into the crook of your arm, the swing and the way I dropped wood cock with it, I am now sold on the idea. Dont want to Hijack a thread but if any sxs shooter can point me in a direction, I would be obliged.

Neil mcveigh in crescent sports has a nice alexander martin 12b side by side in stock for less than €1000. The short stock probem can be addressed by a simple leather buttpad that slips over the end of the stock. Nice guns for the money too are spanish aya's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

You would think that there would be loads of side by sides floating about, have you would tried jameson outside kilnaleck? An aya number 3 would be a lovely gun, well made yet not too precious to struggle across fences and hedges with.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Few nice AYA's floarting around cork for 900 bob..

One in Cork Angling actually. Maybe the second is there too

Any gun I buy will need to be quite modern as its only a matter of time that steel shot will be the way forward.

Ian Jameson has lovely guns he has a nice suhl over there. Brother has a AYA Yeoman. Also like the Laurona (zabala) Anthea classic

Any gun I buy will need to be quite modern as its only a matter of time that steel shot will be the way forward.

Ian Jameson has lovely guns he has a nice suhl over there. Brother has a AYA Yeoman. Also like the Laurona (zabala) Anthea classic

That steel shot is a load of rubbish, more greeny tree hugging waffle. Anyway the baikals have chromed bores , you could fire anything you want out of it.

That steel shot is a load of rubbish, more greeny tree hugging waffle. Anyway the baikals have chromed bores , you could fire anything you want out of it.

we will see, God Bless Baikals they are very functional, I would say everyone had a baikal at some time

Got an AYA 25 box lock. Happy days.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tonytoc11

OH that's a very nice gun

• Advertisement

I went in looking for a fairly modern gun, but after handling the XXV, that was it, the gun is 2 3/4 and tight, clean and well looked after. No panic to lift it so next week will sort out transfer.

Advertisement