Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this amount to a pay cut? What can I do now as I flat out refused to this!

Options
  • 30-05-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work for a large firm as a sales representative.

Business has been extremely good for us, even throughout the recession we have not had to make anyone redundant/reduce the working week etc etc.

However, last April, my manager informed me that he wished to raise my targets by 10k, but keep the commision payments the same.

I.E, where as I use to have a target of 30k-38k (commision payable was 900) 38-45k, (commison was 1200,) and 45k+ was a 1500 payment.

They proposed raising everything up by 10k, so my targets now start at 40k-48k (commission payment still 900) and so on and so on....

I have the copy of the email where I stressed that as I have not had a rise in my basic salary since 2007, this represented a pay cut to my salary, and also the commison structure oin place were written into my contract.

Initially, the email I received from my manager was a pretty vicous one tbh, where he cc'd the HRM, and basically threatened my job, this was all back in 2012.

The month of April past, I surpassed all my previous sales, and earned the company 42k with a profit margin of 35% +/-

I had a figure of what I would be paid this week due to the targets I had reached, but I was in total shock to learn I was 600 euro short of my expected pay, and when I enquired, I was told basically, that he already told me last year that he was upping my targets for this year, and the fact that I refused to accept was irrelevant.

I went on to inform them that every cent of the money earned was accounted for, and that I was now left with a serious hole in my finances.

I have written confirmation where I have instructed them that I would not accept a change to my commission sturcture, as that to me represented a pay cut (more work/longer hours to hit a higher target, yet the same pay is a pay cut imo)

Just wondering if any of you boardsies have any experience or advice for me in this predicament?

I do not want to involve HR atm, I would much prefer to resolve it amicably with the manager, as I fear if I were to go over his head, there may be a grudge forever held over my head.

I have a wife and two children that will now have to go without this month due to one man decison to steal from my pocket.

I would also like to point out that the company I work is an extremely successful one, with absolutely zero financial problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

So far you have does everything right as far as I can see. The fact you received no further details even though your email was forwarded to HRM is a bit worrying. Presumably all the relevant management is aware of the cut in commission.

I think it it time to involve HR as you have gone as far as you can. How do you get on in appraisals etc? Clean record? If so I would maybe approach HR with a query on how you can recover your usual monthly wages, be it a move within the company or a position of higher responsibility.

Is there any bargaining power you have with your manager? Can you offer the manager any incentive to keep you happy. How would the manager be fixed if you left? Are you the only person in this position.

Basically if your company brings in a change to your contract it's up to you both to come to an agreement, if you cant then you options are a solicitor or you union if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

as wmpdd3 says a change in your contract must be by mutual agreement. However, of course this all depends on what is in your contract. Does your contract specifically state the commission rates per target? If not this could be a hard one to argue and all you can do is reinforce your continued high performance, good appraisals, loyalty to the company etc.

Advertisement