Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Plus Sofa & Colossal Clearance

Options
  • 30-05-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Not sure who seen the show during the week but Cost Plus Sofa were shown to be supplying sofas "not fit for purpose". Since we actually purchased one in early 2011 and had it repaired somewhat at the time, the thing has basically fallen apart. I headed into the shop today since I had complained at the time and it was'nt there problem so we gave up but today was told its out of its 1 year manufactures warrenty. Can I still open a small claims case even though its been 2 years. I reckon after spending over a grand, it should be the case where this is not fit for purpose if it can not longer be used. Does anyone know my legal rights here ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I believe, that under the Statute of Limitations, you have up to 6 years to lodge a case, so you're well within that time scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Absolutely correct six years. Practice with some of the Dublin registrars seems to be award within five years pro-rata. So if it's two years old expect an award of 3/5 (60%). That said enforcement may be a different story.

Nice to see RTE finally doing something useful rather than trying to make documentaries on the hazards of liqui-tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

Not sure who seen the show during the week but Cost Plus Sofa were shown to be supplying sofas "not fit for purpose". Since we actually purchased one in early 2011 and had it repaired somewhat at the time, the thing has basically fallen apart. I headed into the shop today since I had complained at the time and it was'nt there problem so we gave up but today was told its out of its 1 year manufactures warrenty. Can I still open a small claims case even though its been 2 years. I reckon after spending over a grand, it should be the case where this is not fit for purpose if it can not longer be used. Does anyone know my legal rights here ? thanks

and to think we nearly handed this shower 2K last weekend. I never wanted to go in to them in the first place but she who knows everything did.

That was a close one............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

it seems they are closing stores

http://costplussofas.com/

"
    PUBLIC NOTICE
    To whom it may concern
    After many years serving the people of Ireland, we have taken the decision to completely restructure the business which will involve the closure of many stores.

Existing customers please note that all current outstanding orders, contracts and agreements will be honoured, completed and delivered as agreed. All current Guarantees and Warranties will continue to be honoured.

If you are awaiting delivery of an outstanding order, you need not take any action. We will contact you as soon as your order comes into stock.

Adam Hasan
    Customer Services Directorate

Helpline: 01 484 5633
    www.costplussofas.ie www.bedsetc.ie "

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

brightkane wrote: »
    it seems they are closing stores

http://costplussofas.com/

"
    PUBLIC NOTICE
    To whom it may concern
    After many years serving the people of Ireland, we have taken the decision to completely restructure the business which will involve the closure of many stores.

Existing customers please note that all current outstanding orders, contracts and agreements will be honoured, completed and delivered as agreed. All current Guarantees and Warranties will continue to be honoured.

If you are awaiting delivery of an outstanding order, you need not take any action. We will contact you as soon as your order comes into stock.

Adam Hasan
    Customer Services Directorate

Helpline: 01 484 5633
    www.costplussofas.ie www.bedsetc.ie "

I escaped by the skin of my teeth. The search goes on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

If going to the small claims court, ensure you use head office in Westmeath under Revolution Galleries Ltd.

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Revolution-Galleries-Ltd-904813

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

Bought bed frame mattress and sofa. Was told they would be delivered together but they didnt send the bed!! Been fckd around the last 3 weeks over it and now the waterford store has closed!!! Rang the helpline and they told me il have to pay the 75euro delivery charge again even though it was their fault!! !!
    I lost the head as store manager said i wudnt have to pay it but now the store is gone!! They said they will get back to me lol i await their call!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Bought bed frame mattress and sofa. Was told they would be delivered together but they didnt send the bed!! Been fckd around the last 3 weeks over it and now the waterford store has closed!!! Rang the helpline and they told me il have to pay the 75euro delivery charge again even though it was their fault!! !!
    I lost the head as store manager said i wudnt have to pay it but now the store is gone!! They said they will get back to me lol i await their call!!

Some shops will be open next week, pop in to them then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Buy quality if you can afford it. Like a nazuti sofa which are like 3,000 but it will still be perfect in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As I sit in the ass groove of my chair, I am smiling about the fact that Cost Plus Sofas is not where I bought my suite :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

hfallada wrote: »
    Buy quality if you can afford it. Like a nazuti sofa which are like 3,000 but it will still be perfect in 30 years.
    I bought a 2 piece leather suite for €800 8 years ago in Argos and it's still gong strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stick to the topic. This thread is related to Cost Plus Sofas only

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

If going to the small claims court, ensure you use head office in Westmeath under Revolution Galleries Ltd.

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Revolution-Galleries-Ltd-904813

Hi Curious Geroge, what's the story now, can you still take a claim against Cost Plus Sofas to the small claims court even though they have gone into liquidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

amtw wrote: »
    Hi Curious Geroge, what's the story now, can you still take a claim against Cost Plus Sofas to the small claims court even though they have gone into liquidation.

they havent gone in to liquidation. theyre going to be keeping a store or two open so yes, you can still go to court :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

they had security men on the front door of longmile road branch today. dont think they will survive at all now. trust is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

leitrim1 wrote: »
    I escaped by the skin of my teeth. The search goes on !

Don't know if You are still on the lookout L1, but if Dublin isn't too far for You, I would highly recommend Arnott's. I bought my house new during the latter days of the Celtic Tiger years. The builder(?) was ten months late in giving over the keys, and in the meantime, I had bought my furniture, which I now had to store. Arnott's gave me really excellent service & actually stored my goods ( lounge suite included) until the house was ready.

Good luck with Your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

out of its 1 year manufactures warrenty.
    Minimum warranty is 2 year.
    Retailers have a huge scam going claiming it's only 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Minimum warranty is 2 year.
    Retailers have a huge scam going claiming it's only 1 year.

The manufacturer may offer the retailer a one year warranty but the retailer must offer the consumer a 2 year one

There are no legal requirements around warranties. It is entirely up to the retailer and/or manufacturer if they want to offer a warranty. There is no legal requirement either around the length of a warranty.

The key thing is that your Consumer rights offer greater protection than a warranty and cannot be superseded by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dudara wrote: »
    There are no legal requirements around warranties. It is entirely up to the retailer and/or manufacturer if they want to offer a warranty. There is no legal requirement either around the length of a warranty.

The key thing is that your Consumer rights offer greater protection than a warranty and cannot be superseded by one.
    I think your bring pedantic as to the what exactly a warranty is.

There is a 2 year minimum guarantee in operation on Europe

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

Sometimes you have to be pedantic to explain the differences. The link you quoted is a piece of EU legislation in Consumer law. A warranty is a product offered/sold by the retailer/manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

ted1 wrote: »

Thats a two year statute of limitations and does not apply in Ireland as we have a six year period. You need to look at the enacting SI.

If you can see a two year minimum guarantee period in this please point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

There's a few company names going around. Can someone please clarify the correct company name for the purpose of the small clams court

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Aren't they bankrupt? Don't think you'll get anything, SCC or not. Maybe state your issue and you might get relevant advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Not bankrupt, just restructuring its business, so closing some of their loss making stores....oh and the trading name is "Cost Plus Sofas and Beds etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There does not seem to be a business registered under that name.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

EDIT, never mind, the post above is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭brian_t

They have a Verified representative in this forum Cost Plus Sofas: Lee

See here Cost Plus Sofa - Refund or Replacment - Small Claims Court

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There does not seem to be a business registered under that name.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

EDIT, never mind, the post above is correct.

Indeed. They seem to have individual companies setup per location. However, there is one called Cost Plus Sofas (Ireland) in Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

brian_t wrote: »
    They have a Verified representative in this forum Cost Plus Sofas: Lee

See here Cost Plus Sofa - Refund or Replacment - Small Claims Court

Thanks

That second link doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭brian_t

SeeZee wrote: »
    Thanks

That second link doesn't work

It's a link to another thread on this forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056505046&page=4

Advertisement