Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Plus Sofa & Colossal Clearance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ah but will anyone be stupid enough to purchase stock from them in their new setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ah but will anyone be stupid enough to purchase stock from them in their new setup?
    Yes but don't be surprised if it is cash on delivery or credit card transactions only!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

nialled wrote: »
    Have applied to bank for refund as thankfully I used a visa debit card. Absolutely raging with this shower and their audacity. Feel sorry for the staff who seem equally duped.

Ill keep updating this thread as things progress. Has anyone ever gotten a visa debit refund before?

I've gone down this route myself, using the Visa 'Chargeback'. Took a bit of digging to find actually. I found it via looking through the FAQ on Bank of Ireland's (who I have my account) page for the Visa Debit Card.

What I did was I posted off every correspondence that has been sent out by Cost Plus Sofa's since things went down the swanny. There seems to be a 120-day window from when you make the transaction to make a Chargeback dispute claim, according to the return letter I got.

They are going to look into it and say the company has 45 days to respond to it (which will be interesting seen how the company is now gone?) and in the meantime, they have credited my account back with the amount I paid temporarily until the dispute is concluded. Similar to how a Paypal dispute works it seems.

So at least that process seems to have some merit. I guess I'm just a bit nervy waiting for the 45 days to come about now and for it to be officially done with.

If anyone wants a link to the Bank of Ireland Chargeback dispute form, I'd be happy to post it up. For those in other banks, I guess you might need to go and ask them about/dig through their Visa Debit Card pages to find such a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

I hope people remember what's going on here but something tells me they will forget. How could anyone buy this poor quality stuff ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Majority of the stuff for sale is either in tatters or crap quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Is there any point in taking a case against colossal clearence as they were formerly CPS

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SeeZee wrote: »
    Is there any point in taking a case against colossal clearence as they were formerly CPS

No - they are a different legal entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maddymads

Hi all,

I purchased a sofa from Cost Plus Sofas just before they went into administration and I have still not received it. They have now been bought over by Colossal Clearance Centre who are being so unhelpful. Apparently the sofa is sitting in the 'Docks' however there is some dispute between Cost Plus Sofas and Colossal Clearance Centre as to ho is liable to pay these storage charges and until these fees are paid are sofa is stuck there.

Everytime I ring Colossal Clearance, if i ever get through, they advise me thay have no update and to call back in 2/3 weeks. It is getting ridiculous and I am now very irritated.

Is anyone else having the same issue?? Has anyone been lucky enough to get their sofa from Colossal Clearance Centre that they purchased with Cost Plus Sofa's??

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences here???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Get a charge back if you paid by credit or via debit card.

If now, I'd say go straight to scc but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 NeedSumHelp

Be prepared for a fight! I have a feeling that it is essentially another branch of the holding company that owned Cost Plus Sofas that have 'bought' it over. CPS were a subsidiary of a larger company named Revolution Galleries Ltd. Their head office is in Mullingar. If the refund to your car thing doesn't work id be going to the Small Claims Court and listing the director in revolution galleries as the respondent. They are slippery gits mind you. I went to the SCC with CPF after alot of ****e and won hands down - however they still pricked around with paying up until I went to the shop and made a little hassle. I would address all your correspondence by registered post to rev galleries and record it - helpful for court. Id get the SCC process rolling quick though as it can take a number of months :-( Hope that helps

Threads merged so as to keep all information in one place.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CR999

Be prepared for a fight! I have a feeling that it is essentially another branch of the holding company that owned Cost Plus Sofas that have 'bought' it over. CPS were a subsidiary of a larger company named Revolution Galleries Ltd. Their head office is in Mullingar. If the refund to your car thing doesn't work id be going to the Small Claims Court and listing the director in revolution galleries as the respondent. They are slippery gits mind you. I went to the SCC with CPF after alot of ****e and won hands down - however they still pricked around with paying up until I went to the shop and made a little hassle. I would address all your correspondence by registered post to rev galleries and record it - helpful for court. Id get the SCC process rolling quick though as it can take a number of months :-( Hope that helps

I totally agree. They are definitely slippery. Revolution Galleries, run and owned by their CEO (look up name for yourselves), also holds Finest Furniture under directorship. Revolution Galleries indeed operated and traded under the name Cost Plus Sofas, which was subsequently liquidated. I fear said director of Revo. Galleries still exerts control over Colossal Clearance Centre, although this is merely conjecture.
    Having looked into the director of Revo. Galleries, it is interesting to note, he and his family ran one of the biggest furniture companies in the UK (93 stores), with branches in America and Barbados, called Courts. They say lightening doesn't strike twice, but for those who have experienced the frustrations that had been experienced in the collapse of such a large company in the 90's, I fear CPS has followed the same path, although be it to a much lesser scale.
    I really do hope justice prevails, in the resolution of those who have parted from their hard earned cash, to find they are left both without money or furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Bit of an update on my own situation with Cost Plus Sofa's, having gone down the Chargeback route with Bank of Ireland having paid on my Visa Debit Card.

The bank recently contacted me saying that the the dispute had now been represented. To further this case they required a letter from the administrators stating that they would not be able to fulfill my order. They gave contact details for the UK based administrators along with those for Finest Furniture, which as we know is the entity that the remnants of Cost Plus Sofas have become.

Admittedly, this had me worried as to whether either of these two would be willing to send out a letter of such - or whether they would fob me off and claim they want to still deliver it (I have since, gone and organised a purchase of a different sofa from another company, so really I didn't want the Cost Plus Sofas one now anyway!)

Thankfully though, within 24 hours of e-mailing both, Finest Furniture e-mailed me back a letter stating that they would not be able to fulfill the order. This was followed by a week later with a similar e-mail from the UK group, along with a ten page document detailing the appointment of the Administrator.

Have sent both off to the bank, so hopefully this will once and for all resolve this altogether tedious business for myself at least. But just wanted to let people know if they have gone the Chargeback route to get their money back, there seems to be light at the end of that tunnel. Shall keep you all updated to any specific goings-on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mdoherty25

I ordered a sofa and chair from cost plus sofa at the beginning of July, 2013. I paid in full by visa debit card on the day. Was advised that it should be in the warehouse by the 8th august, 2013 and we should receive a phonecall to arrange delivery within a few days of that date. By the middle of august we received no phonecall so we phoned the number on the receipt to be told that cost plus sofas was no longer trading and that colossal clearance were trying to fulfill the order and to ring back again 10-14 days later. The chair is in the warehouse but they are still waiting on the sofa!! We waited for a couple of weeks and rang back. Told the exact same thing again! Rang again today but the phone number is no longer available. Rang the number given but keeps cutting me off!! Have been trying all day but same thing. To summarise, paid for a sofa and chair but have not received it and cannot get in contact with anybody!! HELP!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Havent they gone bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Sorry OP, don't you read the news?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company a.s.a.p. You might be able to get a refund that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

They went into administration a couple of weeks after you paid over your money by the looks of it. However, have a read;

http://www.costplussofas.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mwah77xxxx

peteb2 wrote: »
    Havent they gone bust?
    They are the same company. Same directors <SNIP>.

Please post substantiated, referenced facts.

• Advertisement

Thread merged into the larger Cost Plus Sofas thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Bought a 3 piece and chair in December 2012.

Having issues with it now, is there anyone we can contact to sort things out?

paulgalway wrote: »
    Bought a 3 piece and chair in December 2012.

Having issues with it now, is there anyone we can contact to sort things out?

You MIGHT have product insurance if you paid by Credit Card. If so, contact your card company.

Cost Plus Sofas are gone. You won't get help from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

Does anybody know what the position is with the Colossal Clearance place on the Longmile Rd in Dublin ? All the signs are down and they are not answering their phones. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Companies go bust then set up another company, bust that and then set-up another. There are legal mechanisms in place but they clearly don't work particularly well.

CCC where basically Cost Plus Sofas last hurrah (hopefully) so I'd say they're gone now the directors have taken as much money as possible. I'm sure they'll be another company with similar directors set-up in a few weeks time.

If you paid for anything on credit/debit card get on to your bank about a charge back. If you paid cash, don't ever do that again.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Companies go bust then set up another company, bust that and then set-up another. There are legal mechanisms in place but they clearly don't work particularly well.

CCC where basically Cost Plus Sofas last hurrah (hopefully) so I'd say they're gone now the directors have taken as much money as possible. I'm sure they'll be another company with similar directors set-up in a few weeks time.

If you paid for anything on credit/debit card get on to your bank about a charge back. If you paid cash, don't ever do that again.

Thanks for reply. We have recently returned from abroad and we inherited a house from relatives so I completely mised out on the Cost Plus Sofa collapse so we knew nothing about this crowd either. Just trying to find out if they are definately gone or moved to another location.

Merging into the bigger discussion thread on this topic.

dudara

Some contact details here. Best of luck.

Thanks RangeR

Thats the number for Colossal Clearance that I have been calling all morning and yesterday.

I would not mind but another shop that I bought a bed from warned me about these and I did not listen. I thought they were pushing for the sale for the couch for themselves. How wrong I was !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

did you pay cash?

Advertisement