Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Plus Sofa & Colossal Clearance

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    did you pay cash?

Unfortunately yes but I still have not found out if they are definately gone or what. Does anybody know for sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

I heard today that they were gone. Again! No doubt something will start back up in there, bit you would be mad to trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

The company is still live but not trading the directors have closed the doors on the 23rd May and they never opened them again.

The staff are owed two months wages, holiday pay, notice and redundancy and they can't get the P45 because they didn't go into administration and according to one of the staff the solicitors told them there is nothing that the staff can do.

Zeppi

emo72 wrote: »
    I heard today that they were gone. Again! No doubt something will start back up in there, bit you would be mad to trust them.

Yep. It's true. They are gone ok and even more annoying is when you ring their number an automated message keeps playing over and over asking you to hold even though you are not going to be answered. The guys behind these type of operations should be put out of business for good.

Zeppi wrote: »
    The company is still live but not trading the directors have closed the doors on the 23rd May and they never opened them again.

The staff are owed two months wages, holiday pay, notice and redundancy and they can't get the P45 because they didn't go into administration and according to one of the staff the solicitors told them there is nothing that the staff can do.

Zeppi

Its turning in to a horror story. I feel sorry for the staff. Is in only in Ireland that guys like this get away with this sort of carry on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

No unfortunately it isn't only in Ireland. I know of companies in the UK that have played the same games. Directors with fat pockets screwing with staff and customers. And they'll go off and set up again somewhere else under a different name and play the same game again and again. It should be an imprison-able offence. And the CAB should be able to seize assets from these cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eventually, businesses that do the resurrection job once too often end up finding nobody will to offer them credit card merchant services due to how often the card insurers get burned along the way.

After researching the Cost Plus saga and can't figure out how they were allowed to open up again. Loads of people are telling me now that they knew about these shower. We will have to keep the very old couches that are in the house already for now as we can't afford to buy again so soon. Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Just saw this and will give you some info.

Courts Furniture collapsed into administration in 2004 and <SNIP> thousands of people.
    Cost plus went bust in 2013 and <SNIP> thousands of people
    Now Colossal Clearance centres has gone bust and <SNIP> off thousands of people.

Guess what?

There's a connection with all three!

google "Belfast telegraph Belfast Furniture Mall" and you'll see the articles.

Its amazing how the press here haven;t picked up on one of the biggest <SNIP> for many many years - maybe they are hoping for advertising revenue from the next incarnation.

To anyone thinking of buying furniture - don;t be sucked in by utterly false price reductions or "after event prices" they are <SNUPS> and have no bearing on real prices.

Use a good local furniture store that has been in business for years - you may pay a little extra, but good service and quality product comes at a price.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Just saw this and will give you some info.

Courts Furniture collapsed into administration in 2004 and <SNIP> thousands of people.
    Cost plus went bust in 2013 and <SNIP> thousands of people
    Now Colossal Clearance centres has gone bust and <SNIP> off thousands of people.

Guess what?

There's a connection with all three!

google "Belfast telegraph Belfast Furniture Mall" and you'll see the articles.

Its amazing how the press here haven;t picked up on one of the biggest <SNIP> for many many years - maybe they are hoping for advertising revenue from the next incarnation.

To anyone thinking of buying furniture - don;t be sucked in by utterly false price reductions or "after event prices" they are <SNIp> and have no bearing on real prices.

Use a good local furniture store that has been in business for years - you may pay a little extra, but good service and quality product comes at a price.

That's really nasty. <snip> Hope they get what they deserve.

I'm sitting here having my dinner and ITV is on and nearly every other advert is for some of these furniture shops. Its like a brain washing exercise. I will never trust any of these cowboys again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Directors of companies that go into recivership/liquidation are supposed to be restricted for a number of years, doesn't look like the system is working.

Went to see my solicitor today and he advised me not to waste my money on this. He told me he had quite a few clients in to him when Cost Plus went and could get nothing back for them. Such is life !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Solicitor is a waste of effort here. The best protection is to always pay by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Bepolite wrote: »
    Directors of companies that go into recivership/liquidation are supposed to be restricted for a number of years, doesn't look like the system is working.

There is no such rule, directors of liquidated have an absolute right to act as directors again. Volunteery liquidations happen all the time where all the creditors are paid, involunteery liquidations happen where companies simply fold due to poor results but the directors have dealt honestly with creditors at all times.

What you may be confused about is the restriction on people who have been prooven in court to have traded recklessly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    Thanks RangeR

Thats the number for Colossal Clearance that I have been calling all morning and yesterday.

I would not mind but another shop that I bought a bed from warned me about these and I did not listen. I thought they were pushing for the sale for the couch for themselves. How wrong I was !!!!

You are not the only one to have been affected by this, I have heard numerous reports of people buying items from the Collosal Clearance Center Dublin store but have not received any items yet.

They have now closed the Dublin store without providing any information as to what the story is with pending orders. Absolutely no information. If you ring the contact number for the store, including those listed by the administrators of Cost Plus Sofa's, you are just put on an endless waiting loop.

There doesn't seem to have been any liquidators appointed, at least I can't find any information about any liquidators.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with these <SNIP>?

You are not the only one to have been affected by this, I have heard numerous reports of people buying items from the Collosal Clearance Center Dublin store but have not received any items yet.

They have now closed the Dublin store without providing any information as to what the story is with pending orders. Absolutely no information. If you ring the contact number for the store, including those listed by the administrators of Cost Plus Sofa's, you are just put on an endless waiting loop.

There doesn't seem to have been any liquidators appointed, at least I can't find any information about any liquidators.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with these <SNIP>?

Thanks. I hate to say it but I have just lost all interest in this matter. I don't want to waste more money on this but I have heard about others in the same boat as me. It's terrible what can happen. There is not much I can do I am told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

very little if anything, though if you are a creditor you can write to ODCE (office of director of corporate performance)

Unlike some government bodies, they act on complaints and can take very draconian action if they deem things were not done right.

Complaint form is here http://www.odce.ie/en-gb/formsprocedures/complaintsform.aspx

However, even if all sign show a "this word would be removed if I printed it", the directors could use the "recession" word. Then again, as they simply seem to have ceased trading, the ODCE could arrange a winding up.

Maybe worth it for someone to send in the complaint?

delahuntv wrote: »
    very little if anything, though if you are a creditor you can write to ODCE (office of director of corporate performance)

Unlike some government bodies, they act on complaints and can take very draconian action if they deem things were not done right.

Complaint form is here http://www.odce.ie/en-gb/formsprocedures/complaintsform.aspx

However, even if all sign show a "this word would be removed if I printed it", the directors could use the "recession" word. Then again, as they simply seem to have ceased trading, the ODCE could arrange a winding up.

Maybe worth it for someone to send in the complaint?

I have had a good read there, all very interesting. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are they still covering warranties? I was going legal with them over quality issue and then they closed up. I got a 5yr warranty though and the furniture is literally falling apart.

smash wrote: »
    Are they still covering warranties? I was going legal with them over quality issue and then they closed up. I got a 5yr warranty though and the furniture is literally falling apart.[/QUOTE

Don't know. I didn't even get mine to see them falling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

smash wrote: »
    Are they still covering warranties? I was going legal with them over quality issue and then they closed up. I got a 5yr warranty though and the furniture is literally falling apart.

They almost certainly won't as they would be the limited liability company thats in the process (I think) of being wound up. You're only hope is that the warranty is insurance backed you might be able to get some joy there.

This is in no way meant to sound smug or condescending but never buy the extended warranty. Until such time as they start to apply after the six year limitation period of your statutory rights they are not worth a fraction of the price.

Advertisement