Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Month Graduate Work Visa

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for the 12 month US work visa through the IIC in Boston. Hopefully heading over in late September to New York. The thing is im going alone and I was wondering if there are many people who have done this. If so how did they find it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭canadabound1

hey james,
    I am applying for the 12 month visa this week with IIIC in Boston. how do u find it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Hi guys,

I applied through USIT today, costing me 2,000 euro altogether. Just paid the 500 deposit today.

I'm going to Chicago on my own.

Where you for Canadabound ?

Cheers
    Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JamesSligo1982

Hey Canadabound,

In fairness they are good to deal with. Once you complete the interview they contact you with regards to getting your resume in order before you start applying to jobs. I have got the insurance paid now and i'm in the process of organizing the rest of the program fee.

But so far so good. Hopefully the rest will go as smoothly.

James

GavK wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I applied through USIT today, costing me 2,000 euro altogether. Just paid the 500 deposit today.

I'm going to Chicago on my own.

Where you for Canadabound ?

Cheers
    Gavin

Hey gavin,
    I am heading to new jersey, about 40 minutes away from new york. I am going on my own as well. just in the process of sending my application to the IIC in boston. when r u hoping to leave for chicago?

Hey Canadabound,

In fairness they are good to deal with. Once you complete the interview they contact you with regards to getting your resume in order before you start applying to jobs. I have got the insurance paid now and i'm in the process of organizing the rest of the program fee.

But so far so good. Hopefully the rest will go as smoothly.

James

Hey james,
    thanks for the info. what insurance company did u pick? i am heading to new jersey, about 40 minutes away from new york.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'd be inclined to treat the 12 month J1 a bit more seriously than a summer J1, in my opinion you'll get a lot more out of it if you go on your own without any pre-conceived notions, invest yourself in it and be open to whatever you can get out of it.

I went on my own but I never even considered the possibility of going in a group, it was just a job after college and almost everyone in my year was going off to various companies in different places, I didn't see mine as any different. It turned out to be a great opportunity to get valuable experience and get me into the line of work that I wanted to do.

went with backpacker trave linsurance it ended up being €195 for the year, which is not too bad. New Jersey sounds good.

Hi Spideog,

How did you find getting, firstly accommodation when you were on your own. I know it can be expensive enough and house share is really the only option.

Also how did you find companies received you as a non national looking for a trainee position?

Cheers
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 9 propagandavm

Has anyone had their interview with the IIIC yet? I was meant to have mine today but I had to change it to next week. Also if anyone knows how long do you have to pay for for the rest of the visa? Im tryinf to plan out when I have to pay for everything else like the embassy interview fee, insurance flights etc.

Any help would be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

Hey guys,

I'm over here on my own too currently on month 9 (I think) of my twelve. Came here straight after grad last year in November. Currently living in New Jersey too like some others on here (thats mad!!) but working in NYC. Love it! I mean it's hard being on your own especially when you have those days you wanna just be able to go hang out with your friends and stuff but you just gotta keep positive and realize you're one of the lucky ones who got this visa and that 12 months isn't going to seem that long when you actually get here. Times flying for me!!

• Advertisement

Hey GradGirl27

How is New Jersey/New York treating you? Im heading there in September. How was your initial few months there? Did you have a contact to go over to? Im sorta worried about finding accom. I would love to hear how you got set up!

GradGirl27 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm over here on my own too currently on month 9 (I think) of my twelve. Came here straight after grad last year in November. Currently living in New Jersey too like some others on here (thats mad!!) but working in NYC. Love it! I mean it's hard being on your own especially when you have those days you wanna just be able to go hang out with your friends and stuff but you just gotta keep positive and realize you're one of the lucky ones who got this visa and that 12 months isn't going to seem that long when you actually get here. Times flying for me!!

Hey!

New York/Jersey have been amazing! I mean its always been a dream to come to new york and now being here its just surpassed all my thoughts about the place. I came to the states last november but actually spent 5 months living in Michigan then came to ny in April because I had a friend who just came here on her internship visa so I was living in Brooklyn with her for a while, rent was insane for the crap hole they were living in!! But to cut a long story short I basically moved out to find a room on my own and trawlled through craigslist for days, hours, weeks (between finding jobs and then acc etc it became the only website I was on every day all day haha) and came and viewed this room out in jersey. It's only 25 mins by train from ny penn so that was great. Have great room mates and a nice sized room with wifi and cable and a 26 inch in my room! (took a month to get the wifi but oh well there was a library down the road with free wifi so was all good)

Honestly finding acc is hard, I went through so many emails back and forth with absolute knobjockeys (one even basically called me a terrorist because I refused to give them my facebook link......!!!! I mean seriously some americans are just insane!) so its hard to actually find somewhere decent with decent room mates. The only thing I can advise is that number one you do not post money orders, western union to anyone through craigslist to secure a room before you get here!!! It's a huge no no and anyone who asks you to do this is a scam artist. You can only really find an apt/room when you get here. Best to do as my friend and her bf did and book a hostel for your first week or two here while you go search for an apt. It is the biggest thing I worried about too.

First few months and now still are going by super fast!!! They will for you too, its best to just get out there and start the job hunt straight away. I will tell you that its not all rosey in the garden over here finding jobs. I've done 20+ interviews and got 2 job offers.... it's ridiculous and hard to not get angry and want to give up. It's all part of the experience and to even go back to ireland and have something from america on your resume instantly boosts you to the top of the pile so that's what keeps me going most of all :D

As far as a contact to go to, if you mean through the visa company, then yes you have CIEE who you will do all your forms and quearys through. I got set up with an amazing person who has been my lifeline while I've been here and even granted me extra time to find a job when I should have been basicaly withdrawn from the programme so be nice to those guys haha dont give them attitude :P Within your first 90 days of being here you have to contact them and give your address and some other info and make sure you get to a social security office straight away too as it can take a few weeks to process that.

Anymore q's I'm here to answer :D:D have fun though and remember you're one of very few who took the plunge to do this and be proud no matter what happens. Like my internships arent paid and it peeves me off because I dont want to go home after a year empty handed you know :/ but my mam's like look at least you're there getting some exposure and experience and when you get home at least theres no visa stuff to get in your way and you can start making money then.

Wow thanks for the quick reply! So what are you working as? Did u say youre not getting paid? I did visual merchandising. There are a a lot of vm jobs in ny so im hoping i will get one and that the pay isnt too bad. Im actually looking into doing a photoshop course over there as ut is a goid skill to have. How much money would you recommend to bring with me? Sorry for all the questions but Im a complete worrier!!!

Oh i have nearly been scammed by those people on craigslist a few years bk when i was going on a j1! My sister best friend lives in ny so i might be able to stay with her for the first while. If not i will def be booking a hostel.

Im actually so excited!

GradGirl27 wrote: »
    Hey!

New York/Jersey have been amazing! I mean its always been a dream to come to new york and now being here its just surpassed all my thoughts about the place. I came to the states last november but actually spent 5 months living in Michigan then came to ny in April because I had a friend who just came here on her internship visa so I was living in Brooklyn with her for a while, rent was insane for the crap hole they were living in!! But to cut a long story short I basically moved out to find a room on my own and trawlled through craigslist for days, hours, weeks (between finding jobs and then acc etc it became the only website I was on every day all day haha) and came and viewed this room out in jersey. It's only 25 mins by train from ny penn so that was great. Have great room mates and a nice sized room with wifi and cable and a 26 inch in my room! (took a month to get the wifi but oh well there was a library down the road with free wifi so was all good)

Honestly finding acc is hard, I went through so many emails back and forth with absolute knobjockeys (one even basically called me a terrorist because I refused to give them my facebook link......!!!! I mean seriously some americans are just insane!) so its hard to actually find somewhere decent with decent room mates. The only thing I can advise is that number one you do not post money orders, western union to anyone through craigslist to secure a room before you get here!!! It's a huge no no and anyone who asks you to do this is a scam artist. You can only really find an apt/room when you get here. Best to do as my friend and her bf did and book a hostel for your first week or two here while you go search for an apt. It is the biggest thing I worried about too.

First few months and now still are going by super fast!!! They will for you too, its best to just get out there and start the job hunt straight away. I will tell you that its not all rosey in the garden over here finding jobs. I've done 20+ interviews and got 2 job offers.... it's ridiculous and hard to not get angry and want to give up. It's all part of the experience and to even go back to ireland and have something from america on your resume instantly boosts you to the top of the pile so that's what keeps me going most of all :D

As far as a contact to go to, if you mean through the visa company, then yes you have CIEE who you will do all your forms and quearys through. I got set up with an amazing person who has been my lifeline while I've been here and even granted me extra time to find a job when I should have been basicaly withdrawn from the programme so be nice to those guys haha dont give them attitude :P Within your first 90 days of being here you have to contact them and give your address and some other info and make sure you get to a social security office straight away too as it can take a few weeks to process that.

Anymore q's I'm here to answer :D:D have fun though and remember you're one of very few who took the plunge to do this and be proud no matter what happens. Like my internships arent paid and it peeves me off because I dont want to go home after a year empty handed you know :/ but my mam's like look at least you're there getting some exposure and experience and when you get home at least theres no visa stuff to get in your way and you can start making money then.

Ugh I just had a long post written as a reply and my laptop died!!

Lol yeah I have been on here all day and I like to get quick replies myself ha :D

Im working with two people currently, one is with a guy who just branched out to running his own music mgmt, artist representation company and then the other is with a woman 'petrendologist' and I've so far gotten to work with her at some tv shows so thats been pretty amazing.

No Im not getting paid, which sucks, and has made me want to give up my time here :( I don't know whether I can continue the rest of my time here without being paid because it's just annoying knowing I have to ask for rent money etc from my mam and stuff. But she doesnt mind because she says its all an experience that I most likely won't get again, but still I hate knowing I'll be going home with no money.

I will tell you straight that yes while there are a lot of jobs in anyones field of study here, I thought the same for events, that it doesnt mean you will get a job asap. You have to have thick skin and don't take it to heart when you get rejected for one, five or ten jobs (like I did :() Also only about 5% of internship jobs in nyc are paid, if you check craigslist now you will see that almost none of them offer money as pay and some just give a stipend of maybe a monthly subway travel card etc. It's a pain but you will get so tired of interviewing that you'll just accept anything that comes your way.

Definitely do that photoshop course though it will really boost you resume :D and especially doing it here will be great also to get American experience in a way ha! Well for the embassy before you leave you have to bring in a bank statement that shows you have at least 1,500 in your account and I advise that you do because nyc is the most expensive city over here and they have no supermarkets even half the size of a standard tesco (one of the reasons I choose to live out in Jersey) even a bottle of coke can cost you the equivalent of 3 euro like! so budget at least 20+ a day for food and drink and travel. Hopefully you'll get to stay with your sisters bff cuz it will help you having somewhere to stay while you go out looking for an apt/room of your own. Get onto that straight away when you get there :D

Any other q's let me know :D happy to offer some help as I got none before I came even if you think they're stupid haha Im a worrier too so I've probably thought of all the ones you have too.

I went through with IIIC and nearly sure the guy said to me i have to get a paid job. Im lucky that I have actually been working in retail for the last few years. Im a little older than most grads too.

Are you on facebook? Might be easier to chat on that!

Oh sorry I thought you were going over with the 12 month graduate visa, I didn't see you said with a boston company. Well my friend just went over there in May and she hadnt got anything secured job wise before she left so you could be ok. I mean honestly its not feasible to find something before you leave what with interviewing etc ya know? I never use facebook ha hate that site lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead54

Hi GradGirl27,

I am looking into heading to New York in October but I am a bit concerned because I have seen plenty of unpaid internships in Human Rights (My degree is in Social Policy) but not much paid work related to my field of study. I could not afford to work unpaid for the 12 months. I would like to go to San Francisco and I was told by go4less that once you start one job you have to keep it up for a year or pay €500 additional start up fee for the second job?

Hi JamesSligo1982,

I have decided Im going to go to New York now instead of Chicago. Im hoping to fly out on Sept. When are you going? Im going on my own too. How far along are you in your visa process?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Sinead54 wrote: »
    Hi GradGirl27,

I am looking into heading to New York in October but I am a bit concerned because I have seen plenty of unpaid internships in Human Rights (My degree is in Social Policy) but not much paid work related to my field of study. I could not afford to work unpaid for the 12 months. I would like to go to San Francisco and I was told by go4less that once you start one job you have to keep it up for a year or pay €500 additional start up fee for the second job?
    IIIC don't charge to take up a second job if you terminate your first one, as far as I know. I'm over in Mass on a one year visa at the minute and my job may only last for the summer as it currently looks.

i am heading to new jersey as well but havn't any work lined up before I arrive. going to book my flights sometime this week and fly out near the end of August. is craigslist the main site for looking for work in America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 NiamhC007

Hi all,

Just decided i'm going to head over to New York in January on my own for the 1 year visa. Was just wondering, would ye recommend going with USIT or the IIIC? Have never been on a J1 and am new to all this crac! Any help would be appreciated!

NiamhC007 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just decided i'm going to head over to New York in January on my own for the 1 year visa. Was just wondering, would ye recommend going with USIT or the IIIC? Have never been on a J1 and am new to all this crac! Any help would be appreciated!

I'm with IIIC at the minute in Mass, I's highly recommend them. They're easy to deal with and haven't been a bit of bother

hi yer man,
    did it take you long to find work when you arrived in America?

hi yer man,
    did it take you long to find work when you arrived in America?

I actually had a job lined up before I even applied for a visa. The IIIC will help you with getting a job to some extent, how helpful they will be, I don't know but the embassy will more than likely refuse you a visa if you don't have some reasonable chance of getting one. The ease of getting a job here really depends on where you go, I'm in mass so biotech is pretty strong here. Also check with your college and see if they have any contacts over here that could help you out. I just found out my boss here works with one of my lecturers at home, pure coincidence.

thanks yer man for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Hi folks,

I'm in a similar situation :( , hoping to get a 12 month graduate work visa and want to go to San Francisco. I've heard its a great city but my problem is getting a job in my field of study- politics and public administration minoring in sociology. With this visa there is a limit to clerical work so getting a job will be quite tricky. Can anyone recommend any relevant companies I could apply to? Also, with this visa could I try get a job through a recruitment agency or is that allowed? :confused:

Ewa24 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm in a similar situation :( , hoping to get a 12 month graduate work visa and want to go to San Francisco. I've heard its a great city but my problem is getting a job in my field of study- politics and public administration minoring in sociology. With this visa there is a limit to clerical work so getting a job will be quite tricky. Can anyone recommend any relevant companies I could apply to? Also, with this visa could I try get a job through a recruitment agency or is that allowed? :confused:

You cannot get work through a recruitment agency with the 12 month visa. just be aware that san fran is a very very expensive place to live, just in case you're looking at accom, you would need to live outside the city if you;re gonna be on an internship or entry level wage.

I've accomodation sorted so thats all okay its just getting a job is the problem.

Hi Propagandavm,

Sorry for the late reply to your message.

Got the visa today. Was hoping to head out at the end of September, don't have anything booked yet. With finishing up with work and stuff, it may run into the first week or two of October. Should know more next week.

James

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

So I'm currently in San Francisco doing the 12 month internship visa. I'm just wondering how strict is the 'vetting' process of the company. I know that CIEE have to approve of the company ('vetting') before I can start my job?

I found a job that applies to my course, but I need to start right away if I get the job. This does not allow me much time to give CIEE the DS-7002 form. Is it completely unquestionable to start the job without it being vetted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as im in quite a pickle because this job could not be more appropriate for my course.

Advertisement