Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Month Graduate Work Visa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 STEVSKi

Ewa24,

Take a read of this post, they said some things about working without sending a DS-7002 form. Hope it helps!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056960851

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

STEVSKi wrote: »
    Ewa24,

Take a read of this post, they said some things about working without sending a DS-7002 form. Hope it helps!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056960851

Hi Stevski,
    Thanks for your help. That link brings me back to the first page of this thread, is that right? As I couldn't see any mention of the form there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eimmyy

Hey @Yer man,

I'm going to San Fran on a grad visa in September, I've just graduated from Genetics and noticed you worked in Biotech. How did you find your job and did you get paid? I know you went to Boston but if you have any information that could help I would appreciate it.

Ewa24 are you still in San Francisco? Do you have any advice or what you could have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

eimmyy wrote: »
    Hey @Yer man,

I'm going to San Fran on a grad visa in September, I've just graduated from Genetics and noticed you worked in Biotech. How did you find your job and did you get paid? I know you went to Boston but if you have any information that could help I would appreciate it.

Ewa24 are you still in San Francisco? Do you have any advice or what you could have done differently?

Hi Eimmyy, unfortunately I had connections in Ireland to the company I was working with over there, in saying that however the visa sponsor should have pretty good access to job advertisements and connections to the industry so I would try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone know if there are age restrictions on this visa? I'm about to graduate, a mature student, finishing a masters. I'm 37 though.
    It might be a bit airy fairy of me to be thinking of going to the states for a year. But then again, if I don't get a job somewhere else, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are age restrictions on this visa? I'm about to graduate, a mature student, finishing a masters. I'm 37 though.
    It might be a bit airy fairy of me to be thinking of going to the states for a year. But then again, if I don't get a job somewhere else, why not?

There is no age limit the only requirement is you graduated in the last 12 months from the date on your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Do you have to use the likes of USIT? or can it be done by yourself?

jjbrien wrote: »
    There is no age limit the only requirement is you graduated in the last 12 months from the date on your degree.

Looking at the total cost of fees, and I'm wondering..... :(

I would doubt it is possible to start looking for jobs while you are in Ireland? I read a lot about people who would go over to do an internship, but I can't afford to not be working once I graduate. For sure, if I went to the states, I'd have to be working. I wouldn't go otherwise, so not sure if it's too risky in my situation...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

I'm considering doing this as it's probably the only chance I'll get to live and work in the US. I'd love to go for a year but I'm really getting the impression that jobs are very hard to come by and the jobs that most people manage to find are unpaid.

I have a degree in Irish Law so not sure what use (if any) it would be over there. I talked to someone from the IIIC but they're allocation has ended. USIT are brutal from what I've heard, overpriced and their jobs database is useless apparently?

I'd love to go for a year but the idea of being unable to find a job and coming home early is really putting me off..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

How many jobs have either of you applied for? You'll get nothing if you don't start talking to people. It costs nothing to send an email and it doesn't cost much to pick up the phone.

Start sending out CVs, look for smaller companies, ask on the ground what they want from an intern and what they expect you to be able to do.

The reason everyone else couldn't get a job is because they're not as good as you, that's what you have to convince your potential employer and you won't be able to convince anyone unless you believe it yourself.

One thing I have to admire about the US is their self belief and positive attitude and they believe they can do anything they want with the right amount of work. Don't get me wrong, most of them will fail hopelessly but at last they'll try their best and fulfill their potential and for every 10 that fail one will succeed and he'll hire the other 10.

Don't give up before you've even started!

• Advertisement

spideog7 wrote: »

Start sending out CVs, look for smaller companies, ask on the ground what they want from an intern and what they expect you to be able to do.

Really stupid question from me, but I am assuming an intern means exactly the same thing in the USA as it does in Ireland. (Unpaid work)

I'm thinking of the American meaning of using "school" for 3rd level compared to the Irish meaning of "school".

I wonder is there much success with getting paid work for the year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Really stupid question from me, but I am assuming an intern means exactly the same thing in the USA as it does in Ireland. (Unpaid work)

I'm thinking of the American meaning of using "school" for 3rd level compared to the Irish meaning of "school".

I wonder is there much success with getting paid work for the year....

I know a bunch of people who've done the visa, not one of them has a paid internship. They're incredibly rare, and usually populated by people who know people.

My friends are either doing casual work, staying with extended family or funded by their parents / savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

I'm on this 12 month J1 Visa and currently working with a real estate law firm in San Francisco. Luckily its paid but I did get this 'internship' through connections I have here. What part of the US are you hoping to go to? You studied Law so you will have the skills to adapt to US Law, I have. I minored in Law in college and now I assist numerous attorneys as a legal administrative assistant. Having studied Irish law isn't a problem, its trying to get a paid 'internship'.

Hugely dependant on your field. I'm in engineering and almost every internship is paid, won't get rich but it paid my rent. Will you be looking for an internship at home if you don't go?

I mean it's an internship visa which means you have to be learning from the role you're in and there has to be a clear plan in place, it doesn't mean your title has to be 'intern'. Fresh out of college there isn't a job worth getting where you won't have a very clear learning plan, the only difference is now you have to actually put it in writing (on your DS7002 - which takes no more than an hour).

If I didn't go, I would be looking for a job at home or further afield. I have a background in technical writing and online marketing even though I am almost finished a journalism masters. (don't laugh down the back!)

So, if I could get something that involved writing content, I'd be happy. That could include communications, technical writing, communications, journalism, online marketing etc.

I'm free and single, and am looking into all options once I finish including the UK, Europe and anywhere else! I thought why not at least suss out the USA.

It could be a bit risky though in terms of getting a paid job. I just can't afford to do an internship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yup it takes the guts of €1500-2000 to actually set up the visa inc flights etc. Then you need €1500 in the bank to actually be allowed to go. Then you have to get a paid internship, or have enough funds to survive the year!

I'd have the money for the visa and the amount needed in the bank, but would not risk going there without the sniff of a paid job. I guess I'll just stick to it for a holiday!

I'd have the money for the visa and the amount needed in the bank, but would not risk going there without the sniff of a paid job. I guess I'll just stick to it for a holiday!

Yea if you can't get a paid role it'd be tough, but take a look at entry level positions instead of stuff with an 'intern' title on it.

Obviously you have the disadvantage that you'll only be available for a year (or 2) but it's up to the employer if they think that's a problem or not, don't pre-emptively make the decision for them.

When you get no response after 100 applications then you can feel disheartened but not before that ;-)

True true. Not sure whether to press on or not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Do you have to take an internship? or can you apply for any job, i just want to work and get away from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do you have to take an internship? or can you apply for any job, i just want to work and get away from Ireland.

Has to be an internship where you are being trained with a clear plan in an area relevant to your degree, not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

Hey guys I'm in the process of applying for the gard visa to go to Boston at the end of the year. Most likely November! Just wondering how yous got on in the end? My degree is in Accounting and Finance so I dunno if that's gonna be any use in getting a paid entry level/intern job?
    I've a meeting on Friday with the carrers services in my college so hopefully he might have a few connections or contacts to help out. Any advice seeing as someone of yous have done it already? :D

Advertisement