Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband Hotspot Dongle Router Question

Options
  • 30-05-2013 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Would the likes of this hotspot connect wireless to something like this router? Or do you need to connect the dongle types through usb? And then you can connect stuff wireless/and wired through the router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Billy Sollox

anybody?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I highly doubt the hotspot supports wireless bridging, this may suit though? You'd need a dongle for it though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I beleive you can put a Vodafone dongle (of some kind, don't know what their current range is) into one of these. Its normally an ADSL 802.11n router, but accepts a dongle and 2 other USB items.

Thanks for replies guys!
    yoyo wrote: »
    I highly doubt the hotspot supports wireless bridging, this may suit though? You'd need a dongle for it though

Nick
    Yea, I think you're right about the hotspot, I want to connect the net wired to one of these so I'll need (I think) a Cat5 connection. Your link only does USB? What goes in the WiFi hole??

Need to sort out a dish/external antenna aswell as reception is crap, was wondering how the hell you connect antenna to the dongles, new ones have a connection for them

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMZhFh-XtP3DBhHxxAWJwO1cRxPpm-9pi-txS_h638gULOQ71u

I've old one doesn't have that connector.

I'm new to this stuff!
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I beleive you can put a Vodafone dongle (of some kind, don't know what their current range is) into one of these. Its normally an ADSL 802.11n router, but accepts a dongle and 2 other USB items.
    So ones like I linked to won't work? I'll check yours out.

Just noticed Vodafones don't have antenna option, will have to check the rest out. Or unlock one...wonder can you do that and stick sim in.

Is Ripplecom any good? Apparently I can get that...€150 installation is a bit much, nearly worth it though than wading through all this dongle stuff. May ask in broadband forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks for replies guys!

Yea, I think you're right about the hotspot, I want to connect the net wired to one of these so I'll need (I think) a Cat5 connection. Your link only does USB? What goes in the WiFi hole??

Need to sort out a dish/external antenna aswell as reception is crap, was wondering how the hell you connect antenna to the dongles, new ones have a connection for them

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMZhFh-XtP3DBhHxxAWJwO1cRxPpm-9pi-txS_h638gULOQ71u

I've old one doesn't have that connector.

I'm new to this stuff!
    So ones like I linked to won't work? I'll check yours out.

Just noticed Vodafones don't have antenna option, will have to check the rest out. Or unlock one...wonder can you do that and stick sim in.

Is Ripplecom any good? Apparently I can get that...€150 installation is a bit much, nearly worth it though than wading through all this dongle stuff. May ask in broadband forum.

The USB port is where the dongle is inserted, on the back of the router there are 4 ethernet ports afaik

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    The USB port is where the dongle is inserted, on the back of the router there are 4 ethernet ports afaik

Nick
    Oops! Odd that no pic of the back!

Handy vid, makes all look very easy!

Advertisement