Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - suncream + tattoos.

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Sup guys. :)

Not an urgent one, but figured I'd ask now.

So, loads of exposure to sun can fade tattoos, right? The place I'm going on holidays in October has highs of 45 degrees most days in the time of year I'm going there. I've got typical Irish, extremely white skin. I don't burn easily, but I'd imagine even I'll burn to a crisp in that weather. :pac:

So, what factor should I be aiming for? I can get my hands on factor 60 easily (just for my tattoos, I'll be using a 20 everywhere else, I want to get a bloody tan!), but would that be enough? I'm considering ordering a higher factor, because I'm a wee bit worried about sunburn wrecking them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd put sunblock on your tattoos tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

You don't really need anything higher than 30. It blocks out 98% of the suns rays. Anything higher will only make a bit more than 1% difference. When I lived in Lanzarote I wore factor 30 for most of it and 20 when my skin became mroe used to the sun. Now being on my side my tattoo wasn't constantly exposed but I spent a lot of time on the beach in temperatures of up to 36 degrees and have no fading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd put sunblock on your tattoos tbh

I meant sunblock when I said suncream, oops. :o:o My family all call it suncream so I've grown up calling it that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sun cream isn't sun block though. Sun block should essentially stop it totally. Like that white stuff you often see cricketers wearing on that bridge of the nose for example!

Sun cream isn't sun block though. Sun block should essentially stop it totally. Like that white stuff you often see cricketers wearing on that bridge of the nose for example!

And here was me thinking they were the same thing! :o:o You learn something new every day!

Brilliant, I'll get some of that, so. That's exactly what I wanted, something to completely cover them up. Cheers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That p30 stuff all the way for tattoos.
    Keeps them looking like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I didn't know that either. :O Will come in very handy in future.

Edit: The brand Jason have a range of sunblocks but they still use the factor system. Does that mean they're not true sunblocks or can you get different strengths of sunblock? They're mineral, not chemical based so they form a physical barrier against the sun.

Legends. Off to the internet with my debit card I go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Thanks for this...I will be moving to Italy in the foreseeable future for work and have had to spend a good bit of time there so far this year and probably will have to a good bit over the summer (woe is my life having to work in a place 5 minutes from the beach :P)

I constantly have a freak out while there because I got a tattoo on my wrist that is just darker than my skin tone and like its already going to fade really quickly but for some reason I was worried sun cream would be bad for tattoos...so at least now I know its ok as long as they're not fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

On a similiar line..

Is there any fading effects on tattoos with continued shaving and moisturising on legs? I've not noticed any problems with mine yet, but through continued use I've wondered could a problem arise.

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    On a similiar
    line..

Is there any fading effects on tattoos with continued shaving and
    moisturising on legs? I've not noticed any problems with mine yet, but
    through continued use I've wondered could a problem arise.

I have one on my leg for over five years that has never faded, and I shave/moisturise daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've wondered that about veet too... My tattoo is nearly a month old now and I've kind just been shaving around it, it doesn't seem hairy on the actual tattoo but wanted to veet them for tomorrow night and was a bit apprehensive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

January wrote: »
    I've wondered that about veet too... My tattoo is nearly a month old now and I've kind just been shaving around it, it doesn't seem hairy on the actual tattoo but wanted to veet them for tomorrow night and was a bit apprehensive

You`ll be grand as long as the tattoo has healed completely.I wouldn't use veet on a still healing tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Zinc cream is the stuff, aka. Australian make-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Slight bump on this one.

GOt bloody sunburn on half of my tattoo yesterday, just wondering what brand is that P30 cream mentioned above?

Advertisement