Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be stockpiling gold and silver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Danpad wrote: »
    I frequent the 'euro-giant' (read: old pound shop) stores and pick up a pack of lighters and antiseptic creams and lotions and band aids most times. If a massive sit X ever hits us it'll be the small things IMO like cuts and grazes getting infected that'll turn into killers.

Well said Danpad - for this reason I am desperately trying to find a long term solution to the lack of antibiotics, although I agree with you that prevention is better than cure.

Liquid iodine will no doubt be worth its weight in gold as it not only is a great disinfectant but as you know it's also useful for sterilising water. We may have to make our peace with the fact that any moderately serious injuries will be fatal if society collapses, pray we don't have to find out! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

I think most of us are prepping with limited resources and justifying the huge expenditure on Gold and Sterling Silver is very hard. I would much rather invest the money in equipment and supplies that are usefull of tradeable.

Can't beat the God tier tradeable items like broad spectrum antibiotics, pain killers, disinfectants, knives and ammunition

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    I think most of us are prepping with limited resources and justifying the huge expenditure on Gold and Sterling Silver is very hard. I would much rather invest the money in equipment and supplies that are usefull of tradeable.

Can't beat the God tier tradeable items like broad spectrum antibiotics, pain killers, disinfectants, knives and ammunition

Well said H.O.T.A.S, words to live by folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

In a nutshell you can eat gold or silver, but there is no nutritional value.
    Therefore it's of no use to you.

@ over €1038 per ounce. You'd be better off investing in yourself & your family. €1038 buys alot of kit, tinned food & if you've the land fruit trees.

Gold has dropped in price recently too.
    http://goldpricenetwork.com/goldprice/europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

In a nutshell you can eat gold or silver, but there is no nutritional value.............You'd be better off investing in yourself & your family.

I agree, gold would just be used to obtain items you should be storing now.

If its as an investment based on present day value and societal conditions forget about it. The time to rebuild an economy to current levels from a bartering economy will, IMO, take longer than a generation.

• Advertisement

Thought I would tell you guys, I've sold the last of my shares which were backed by gold to get gardening equipment, at least you can eat the fruits of that labour. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

silentrust wrote: »
    Thought I would tell you guys, I've sold the last of my shares which were backed by gold to get gardening equipment, at least you can eat the fruits of that labour. :-)
    What ya plannin on buyin??

Advertisement