Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only ever had one meter reading!

Options
  • 31-05-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We live in a very remote cottage and have only ever had one meter reading, when electricity was first supplied to our cottage nearly two years ago.  Since then our bills have been estimated, and I check the meter and submit a new reading if there is a big discrepancy.  It is a 1.1 mile uphill walk to the cottage so I imagine that's why the meter reader has not been back...  Reading the forums makes me wonder if one day we'll get landed with a big bill for standing charges, or get clobbered for not having our meter read (it's outside so available 24/7). Can you set my mind at rest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Mountain Dweller,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Providing the ESB Networks meter reader can gain access, your meter should be read four times a year and estimated twice a year. This is in line with best  international practice and also keeps costs down. If we are unable to  get an actual meter reading, then an estimated meter reading will be used, based on your previous consumption at the same time of year. Since it has been so long since your actual usage has been recorded, this may be why there is a noticeable difference between the estimations and your usage.

If it has been nearly two years since an actual reading has been submitted, then I would reccommend providing us with an actual reading as soon as possible. We do urge customers to contact us with a reading if they ave had more then 2 estimated bills in succession. We can then calculate if you have been under or over estimated and issue a corrected bill.

If it is a case that there is a large difference, we will of course make a suitable arrangement for you. Can you please private message me your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number so I can look into this for you further?

Please note that you can submit a meter reading at any time through your Online Billing account, via email, over the phone at 1850 372 372 or through our meter reading App.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mountain dweller

Hi Mountain Dweller,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Providing the ESB Networks meter reader can gain access, your meter should be read four times a year and estimated twice a year. This is in line with best  international practice and also keeps costs down. If we are unable to  get an actual meter reading, then an estimated meter reading will be used, based on your previous consumption at the same time of year. Since it has been so long since your actual usage has been recorded, this may be why there is a noticeable difference between the estimations and your usage.

If it has been nearly two years since an actual reading has been submitted, then I would reccommend providing us with an actual reading as soon as possible. We do urge customers to contact us with a reading if they ave had more then 2 estimated bills in succession. We can then calculate if you have been under or over estimated and issue a corrected bill.

If it is a case that there is a large difference, we will of course make a suitable arrangement for you. Can you please private message me your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number so I can look into this for you further?

Please note that you can submit a meter reading at any time through your Online Billing account, via email, over the phone at 1850 372 372 or through our meter reading App.

Kind regards,
    Aoife
    Hi Aoife, I submitted an actual reading yesterday, and my corrected bill says there is a credit on my account (Yippee), so have asked for that to be credited to my bank account.  Sounds like I'm doing the right thing, so there won't be any big shocks in the pipeline?  I check my meter every time there is a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Mountain Dweller,

If you've submitted a reading then your account should be up to date and your bill will reflect your correct usage, so shouldn't be any surprises :)

It's great that you check your meter for any difference when you receive an estimated bill, but if the difference is ever over 150 units then I would recommend submitting the actual reading, even if it's been over estimated. This will help avoid any afore-mentioned "shocks".

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement