Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low energy light bulbs: a false economy?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, 

I have been told that the CFL bulbs/low energy bulbs use a lot of energy in the first minute or two, to power themselves up to give the full light.  (That's the "dull" time that is very noticeable in some bulbs, while the gas gets charged up to make the glow.)

So in a room like the bathroom, the shed or the back porch, where you often only need light for short time, are they using more energy during that time than a standard bulb, and thus costing rather than saving money?  Are there figures that would show the "break even" point on low energy vs traditional light bulbs for short period use?

And given that they seem to be designed to run for a few hours at a time to save money, does turning them on and off at short intervals wear them out more quickly? (and they do cost a lot to buy...)

And I have also been told that they have some rather nasty heavy metal substances used in their manufacture: would this make them less environmentally friendly than their old-fashioned counterparts?  Or is disposing of them properly via a WEEE recycler an answer to that, as it is done safely.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Mountain Dweller,

Thanks for bringing this question to the forum.

Depending on the type of bulbs you have in place, if you are only turning the light on for a few minutes, then they may not be the most suitable for some of your needs. CFL bulbs work best when left on for more then 15 minutes at a time, they can take up to 3 minutes to reach full power.

I would recommend them for use throughout the house especially in rooms which are regularly in use, but if there are areas where the lights are only switched on for very short intervals, a regular incandescent bulb may be more cost effective for you.

If you are turning your CFL light on more frequently, then yes, it can reduce it's lifespan. Overall however, it will still last significantly longer then in comparison to an incandescent bulb.

A direct comparison would need to take the wattage and type of bulbs into account, unfortunately I don't have that specific information for you.

You should always make an effort to dispose of CFL bulbs properly, the WEEE organisation would be a good point of contact as they have regulations to uphold and can be trusted to dispose of the material appropriately.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement