Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has a limp back leg after lying down

• 31-05-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Our family dog (male 6yr old neutered) has developed a slight limp after he lies down and can have this for up to a couple of minutes, when I run it he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. There are no problems when he goes out for our daily walk and running is not an issue either. Has anyone seen this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It could be bit of stiffness or arthritis setting in. Unless hes lame regularly then it might not be too serious, but could be worth getting checked out at the vets if your dog is due for a check up etc soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

We are going to the vet this evening and just want a rough idea what we might be facing, hopefully its nothing too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Payton wrote: »
    Our family dog (male 6yr old neutered) has developed a slight limp after he lies down and can have this for up to a couple of minutes, when I run it he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. There are no problems when he goes out for our daily walk and running is not an issue either. Has anyone seen this before?

Have you thought about adding some supplements to his food?

Salmon oil can really help with their joints etc, I give it to my dog everyday with his food.

At six he could just be slowing down a bit... If its every now and then I would just keep an eye on him and add some oil (not cod liver oil. - it's bad for them just fish oils) and see how he gets on.

If it keeps reoccurring bring him to the vet!

HTH

As far as I know he does get supplements, as for salmon oil we don't give it to him but he does get tuna once a week and I think he has been give cod liver oil. Appointment booked for 3 this afternoon.
    Thanks all, I'll post back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Payton wrote: »
    As far as I know he does get supplements, as for salmon oil we don't give it to him but he does get tuna once a week and I think he has been give cod liver oil. Appointment booked for 3 this afternoon.
    Thanks all, I'll post back later.

Ok well hope he's ok!

Btw Cod liver oil isn't good for dogs... Fish oils are the way to go!

Let us know how he gets on!

• Advertisement

Just back from the vet. Couldn't really give a definitive answer but it possibly be the onset of of arthritis or some damage to his spine which he said in breeds like him (lab/collie). He gave him an antiflamitary and carprodyl f 50mg (2a day for a week). If he is still the same he'll have to have x-rays...so fingers crossed.

Advertisement