Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to MAC studio fix?

• 31-05-2013 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hey Ladies, quick one for you.

I normally use MAC studio fix fluid in NW15, but after I ran out in the run up to payday I picked up a bottle of Essence foundation, matt in porcelain in Penneys. I thought it’d be sh1te to be honest but I’ve been really surprised! I have to touch it up during the day but I often have to do that with MAC too. It’s obviously lighter coverage, but it looks grand and the only thing I’d say is that the colour is a wee bit dark for me – in that I really have to work on blending at the jawline. It’s the lightest colour they had though and I’ve always had bother getting an exact match even with MAC.

Anyways, the point of the story is I had great skin as a teen but it’s been playing up the past year or so – nothing drastic, just some redness/spot here and there, but after a week of switching foundations it’s already started to clear up. I’m also not getting the ‘flakiness’ I tend to get with MAC towards the end of the day. I’m wondering now if it’s the studio fix that was the culprit, so I’d like to try another higher end foundation for a while and need some recs! Like I said, the Essence one was a nice surprise, but still doesn’t have the ‘finish’ you get from the likes of MAC. I do like the full coverage ‘flawless’ look and I’ve tried Estee Lauder before but just didn’t really get that from it at all.

Could anyone recommend a new foundation I can try with the same finish as studio fix? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've been using EL double wear light for the last 2 weeks and find it great.

I was using MAC Pro-longwear before that and found that it dried out my skin an unbelievable amount. Found the same with Studio fix as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I've been using EL double wear light for the last 2 weeks and find it great.

I was using MAC Pro-longwear before that and found that it dried out my skin an unbelievable amount. Found the same with Studio fix as well.

I tried EL but wasn't keen on it at all. Might try it again so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

They've a new foundation out now called Invisible. They are throwing samples at people so try get one and try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I used to use studio fix and stopped about 2 years ago and started wearing Clinique superbalanced. I swear by it, I absolutely love it. It's so light compared to the mac one, but still decent coverage.

I borrowed the studio fix off a friend one night and couldn't believe how heavy and chalky it was on my skin :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I like Revlon Colourstay or Bourjois Healthy mix, both have decent pale shades! Buff in the Revlon is what i wear, very similar to NC15 in Mac, they also have a dry/normal skin and an oily combination in the Revlon!

• Advertisement

gillapino wrote: »
    I like Revlon Colourstay or Bourjois Healthy mix, both have decent pale shades! Buff in the Revlon is what i wear, very similar to NC15 in Mac, they also have a dry/normal skin and an oily combination in the Revlon!

I'm definitely an NW, NC looks awful on me! I'm looking more along the lines of a Chanel/NARS/Bobbie Brown - the essence one I have now would do me for a cheaper line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love the YSL Touch Ecalt foundation, but it might not as full a coverage as Studio Fix. YSL are pretty good as giving samples though, so I think it's worth a try.

I've tried two of the Bobbi Brown formulations, like them but not love. I found even the 00 Alabaster shade just a touch too warm for me.

Twee. wrote: »
    I love the YSL Touch Ecalt foundation, but it might not as full a coverage as Studio Fix. YSL are pretty good as giving samples though, so I think it's worth a try.

I've tried two of the Bobbi Brown formulations, like them but not love. I found even the 00 Alabaster shade just a touch too warm for me.
    Thanks a mil - I'll try get a sample! I went into BT's today and found out MAC now have a shade lighter in Studio Fix called NW13. The dude offered me a sample and it's actually a perfect match for me colour wise, might try it out for a while too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I didn't agree with Studio Fix as it caused a massive breakout :( Still liked the coverage level and wished I could have continued to use it as it was a gift.

I loved the sample of Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation that I used a few weeks ago. Same coverage levels as Studio Fix, a little more "skin like" in finish but still medium to full coverage (definitely leaning more towards satin than full matte, still nowhere near dewy or glowy). Soft Ivory was a good match for me (I'm lighter than NW15, slightly lighter than NC15 in MAC Studio Sculpt). Silk Creme stays put too, still looks decent after 11 hours wear for me (I have quite oily skin).

I actually quite liked Studio Sculpt, lighter in colour to Studio Fix and definitely not as drying.

I've heard a lot about Revlon Colourstay and it is supposedly a dupe for Studio Fix so it might be worth a shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Have heard good things about Nars Sheer Glow! Despite the name, it supposedly not all that sheer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement