Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord withholding bills

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have been living in rented accommodation for the last year. Since October 2012 I have been having trouble trying to get the electricity and gas bills from my landlord. I contacted him multiple times asking for the bills and he never got back to me (he wouldn't answer his phone and never called me back) I asked him on several occasions to get them posted to the house instead of to his house, which he said he would but then he never followed through with it. Now he is after calling me about the bills and wanting us to pay.....is this legal? He also never gave us a lease or anything when we moved in so I don't know where we stand right now or what to do. Any information would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Why aren't the utility bills in your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

tell him you are happy to pay once you see the bills (dont pay before this) - also get them changed into your name asap

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CONFUSED2013

He wouldn't let us change them to our names, never gave us a reason though. We are planning on moving now as where we live is gone pretty down hill, 2 incidents within the last month, so I don't really want to put the bills into my name now!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

if hes aware you wont pay without seeing the bills im sure he'll be pretty forthcomming.
    sounds dodge to me - are the bills unsually large?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Make sure the bill matches your meter...he may pass off another bill to you.
    check the number on the top of the bill against the one on the meter.

• Advertisement

I can't even remember what our last bill was because it's been so long.
    He actually owns a few of the houses where we live and we aren't the only ones who haven't been receiving our bills, seems to be all his tenants. I will make sure to check the meter number on the bills. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

He is possibly keeping the bills in his own name to write them as an expense on taxes. Im pretty sure it can be done. However if it was in your name it cant be done

I am just after finding out that he is also not registered with PRTB. Checked the register today and our house and the other houses he rents out aren't listed at all. He is sending me copies of the bills tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If he owns a few properties very nearby, make sure that they all actually have a separate meter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I am just after finding out that he is also not registered with PRTB. Checked the register today and our house and the other houses he rents out aren't listed at all. He is sending me copies of the bills tonight

The whole situation sounds completely underhanded. I wouldn't be happy to rent under circumstances where the landlord is not letting you manage the bills for your own usage. Get yourself out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ask for the originals. It wouldn't be hard to scan them and manipulate the copies. Why does need to keep the originals.?

Very true.....Thanks for all the help, not a great situation to be in right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

OP never listen to a landlord that says the bills are to be in his name. Phone an energy supplier, say you moved in and want to open an account.

Also make sure to check the meter number on the bill with the one in your house.

Report him for not been registered and not providing you with a lease.

This guy sounds like a right chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

He sounds like a complete cowboy and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he came chasing you. No PRTB or lease??

Look for somewhere new and get out of there.

Did you pay deposit??

Advertisement