Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtimes

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Just a curious question...... What times do ye send your kids to bed at. I send my two lads to bed between 930 - 10 on a school night and at the weekend they go at 11 - 1130.

The reason i ask is that last night my oldest fella (12) was playing his xbox and it was around 10 that i told him to turn it off and go to bed he told his friend from school who he was playing online with that he had to go so he turned it off i asked him does he know what time his friends go to bed at and he said usually around half 10/11. I was shocked that on a school night they were allowed stay up that late.

I remember being sent to bed when it was bright out my mother would put a real heavy blanket on the window to darken the whole room :D the little bits of light still got in and let us know we were in bed way too early :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

5 year old 7-730,
    7 year old 8 -830

No time rule at weekend, would'nt even be up myself at 11pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went to boarding school and lights out was 9:30 for the junior cycle.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

4.5 year old goes half seven to eight.
    Baby (age 1) around half six to seven.
    Both are up then between half six and seven in the morning. Baby goes down a bit early, but she can't stay awake any longer and is major cranky.
    When I was a younger teenager, I think 9 was bed time (based on being sent to bed after Glenroe on Sundays!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

God was i was younger i would of loved staying up until 1030. I remember when i was about 10 being left up one friday night till 1am so i could watch a match with my dad i dont know why i was left up as it was Sweden playing a football game in the US so i had no real interest in it, the excitement of staying up that late was cool haha how times have changed now i cant wait till im in bed.

4.5 year old goes half seven to eight.
    Baby (age 1) around half six to seven.
    Both are up then between half six and seven in the morning. Baby goes down a bit early, but she can't stay awake any longer and is major cranky.
    When I was a younger teenager, I think 9 was bed time (based on being sent to bed after Glenroe on Sundays!).

Haha yeah me too......after Glenroe we were sent packing then at 930 my parents went out for a pint it was the only time they ever went out...every Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

My 7YO , bed at 8-8:15 , she reads for 20-30 mins in bed ( she just LOVES reading ..... that's me being the proud Dad )

2YO ...... goes up 7:30 , she actually walks to the stairs and basically asks to go to bed , but is often singing /talking to herself until after 8 , I think she likes her own space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My Dad made my brother and I go to bed by 10pm during the week until we did our leaving certs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

7.30 is bedtime in our house but I'm a SAHM so I have plenty of time to get the dinner together and for them to have a play with Dad when he comes home. When I was a kid both my parents worked and I was in childcare so I stayed up til about 930 so I could spend some time with my parents after they got home from work.

IMO it's about finding the right balance for your family between them getting enough rest and having quality family time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

2,3 and 5 yo all go at 7:30/8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

10 year old goes at 8.30pm and in bed by 9pm on school nights. Usually goes to bed around 9.30pm on non school nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

5 year old at 7:30 and 8/9 year old 8-ish - but reading in bed brings it up to 8:30 and a little later on weekends. Depending if they're tired then it's straight to sleep and only a short reading time.

If I didn't get an hour or two's peace of an evening, think I'd go bonkers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's 7 in this family and it's written in stone for the sake of my sanity. We'll start a bedtime routine with this little girl around 10 weeks, she's 5 weeks now, as that's what we did with our son. Hopefully by 3 months she'll be in bed by 7 too and we'll get our evenings back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

3 year old goes around 7.

5 year old about 7.30 but is allowed to look at his books or play with his tablet for half an hour or so in bed.

Same schedule all week.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh god......my 20 month old gets jammies on at 9:30 and bedtime at 10......am I doing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't think there's such thing as too early when it comes to bedtimes.

I swear I'm not exaggerating, my sister and her son lived with me until last year, he's 8 years old (7 at the time) and it wasn't out of the ordinary for him to be up playing Call of Duty (an 18+ game) at 2am on a school night. It used to drive me mad but she was a complete and total pushover, she'd do anything to shut him up for 5 minutes and as she told me often enough, not my kid, not my business.

I think your bedtimes are reasonable, but I'd probably limit laptop use/playstations for at least 30 mins before bed on schoolnights to give their minds a chance to unwind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Toots* wrote: »
    Oh god......my 20 month old gets jammies on at 9:30 and bedtime at 10......am I doing it wrong?

Nope. Our fella was the same, although we've moved him back to 9/9.30 as it was dragging on past 10 some nights. I'd prefer to lose my evenings than get up at a ridiculous time like 6 or 7 am. I can't even dress myself at that time of the morning, never mind look after smallies.

That said, today I'm up since 4 cos he had a Supernap yesterday, and canines coming in to boot. If the wife doesn't get up soon, there'll be an Incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Our 4 year old & 14 month old both go at 7. they would sleep till 7 and 8 respectively. We recently got our 4 year old a gro clock to keep him in his room till 8 and it's working great.

I'd much rather our evenings than our mornings (and we found that even if they are up late for whatever reason they still wake at the same time) because as far as I see it once they're in school (a matter of weeks now) they will have to be up at about 7 in order to get us all up organised and fed before we leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Our fella isn't a sleeper, never gone more than 11 hours and doesn't come next to near the expected times for his age. Doesn't seem to faze him though.

When the time comes, my kids'll be up at 8.30 and booted out the door at 8.55. School's very nearly in the back garden. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

He probably still had a daytime nap though? My guy is 29 months and bedtime is 8.30-9 but he sleeps a solid 2 hours in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Are you a stay at home mom/dad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

our 3 (almost 4) year old is into bed between 7-7.30 but 7.30 is the official bedtime, she might stay up a bit after, reading books on a school night but no later than 8.

on a non school night she'll stay up a bit watching a movie but usually drifts off herself before 9, on a night where we have an event she'll stay up without issues,

and she always wakes up at 8am, regardless....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have a 2.5 year old and bedtime is generally 7.30/8, weekends are usually a bit later, around 9pm or so as we commute Friday and Sunday.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    our 3 (almost 4) year old is into bed between 7-7.30 but 7.30 is the official bedtime, she might stay up a bit after, reading books on a school night but no later than 8.

on a non school night she'll stay up a bit watching a movie but usually drifts off herself before 9, on a night where we have an event she'll stay up without issues,

and she always wakes up at 8am, regardless....

Ah yes the early morning get up :D my oldest (12) still gets up around 7 ......only when he is off school tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We're around the same, same age too.
    Asleep at around 10, wakes at around 1 and 4, up at 7/8.
    We go through phases of napping or not. The days without naps are pretty long!! Thankfully this week he's napping for around an hour during the day.
    I think some people just need less sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

3 and 5 in bath for 7 every night and bed for 7.30. 5yr old is always asleep first funnily but then the 3rd does sleep for an hour during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

18 month old has a bath a 7.30 and in bed by 8, sometimes 8.30. Ideally would like to make it a bit earlier but with work it's just not possible.
    She's a very early riser too... 6.30am can be considered a lie in, so maybe earlier to would not be a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

18 month old in bed by 6 pm, can't get him to stay up longer (6.30 at an absolute push). But he's up then at 5.30 am...(but doesnt really matter since I leave for work at 6.30 am anyway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

2year old in bed by 7:30, and he sometimes reads to himself for a while after that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

He probably still had a daytime nap though? My guy is 29 months and bedtime is 8.30-9 but he sleeps a solid 2 hours in the middle of the day.

Yeah, he has a good hour in the afternoon. He runs around like a mad thing and then has a power nap and he's up again!
    RubyGirl wrote: »
    Are you a stay at home mom/dad?
    My husband is out of work at the moment so is at home most days, and I'm on long term sick leave at the moment so we're both at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Interesting this subject is in the news now

There is a report come out saying that teachers are finding kids tired and hungry

54% of 10YO have TV's in their bedroom !! , shocked me ( victorian dad )

http://newstalk.ie/Pupils-are-tired-and-hungry-at-school

Advertisement