Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtimes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Interesting this subject is in the news now

There is a report come out saying that teachers are finding kids tired and hungry

54% of 10YO have TV's in their bedroom !! , shocked me ( victorian dad )

http://newstalk.ie/Pupils-are-tired-and-hungry-at-school

you see i find that annoying, my 3 year old daughter has a tv in her room (only hooked up to a dvd player but none the less) she also has her ipod in her room,

she still gets 12 hours sleep, funny thing about parenting, when she is going to bed and after her bedtime stories on a school night asks "can i watch a movie please" we say this funny little word called "No", and once we explain she has to be up early in the morning she's happy to lie down and go to sleep.

makes no difference to her,

i hate when they blame these peripheral things like computers and tv's, rather than admitting what we all know, if your child is staying up all night watching tv after you tell them not to, your child clearly doesn't listen to you and thats on your parenting,

if there were no tv's would it be "children are tired because they have toys in their room", or books, or anything else they'd use to stay awake?

/rant

either way that article says:
    22% say children can't concentrate because they are hungry.

The authors say many parents may not be aware that the average 10-year-old needs about 10 hours sleep a night.

They blame student fatigue on the fact that 54% of 10-year-olds have a television in thier bedroom and 10% have a computer.

so they are hungry and fatigued because they have a tv in their room :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

My boys have a tv in their rooms they are hooked up to xboxes there is strict rules with playing it they still get their required sleep they definitely dont go to school hungry so i think the study is not really accurate at all, if parents let their kids do what they want then of course it will impact them in a negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

hoodwinked wrote: »

she still gets 12 hours sleep, funny thing about parenting, when she is going to bed and after her bedtime stories on a school night asks "can i watch a movie please" we say this funny little word called "No", and once we explain she has to be up early in the morning she's happy to lie down and go to sleep.

You would be surprised how many parents don't have that word ( in a consistent sense ) within their vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Heard that on the radio this morning and was glad that my nearly 9yr old son heard it also. He usually says that he goes to bed way before his friends, 8/8.30 and its "not fair". I know of kids in the school, tiny rural school (30 kids in total) that are up till 11/11.30 each night, dragged out of bed in the morning and no time for breakfast. They are lovely kids but they are the most disruptive in class.
    Our 3 kids, 8,6 & 4 yr olds in bed by 8.30 latest and asleep by 9, usually reading, word search, play with dolls.
    Routine is very important, youngest asks around 7 to put on his pyjamas. Up at 7.30 plenty time to est their breakfast and play before school.

Heard that on the radio this morning and was glad that my nearly 9yr old son heard it also. He usually says that he goes to bed way before his friends, 8/8.30 and its "not fair". I know of kids in the school, tiny rural school (30 kids in total) that are up till 11/11.30 each night, dragged out of bed in the morning and no time for breakfast. They are lovely kids but they are the most disruptive in class.
    Our 3 kids, 8,6 & 4 yr olds in bed by 8.30 latest and asleep by 9, usually reading, word search, play with dolls.
    Routine is very important, youngest asks around 7 to put on his pyjamas. Up at 7.30 plenty time to est their breakfast and play before school.

Yeah that seems to be the norm for some people some of my fellas friends are allowed to stay up that late aswell i think its a disgrace.

My routine with my fellas is bed at around 10, in the morning i go into their rooms at around half 7 turn on their lights and lifts their blinds i leave them lie in bed for around 15 mins then i go up to their rooms tell them to get up leave them off for another 10 mins and by that time they are up and dressed and ready for breakfast.

I remember when i was young my mam had some bother getting us out of bed and it used to start off rows so before i would even go to school id be after sleeping it in have a row with my mother then stroll up to school....god when i look back at it we were assholes but we didnt no better because there was no real structure to our morning.

So after being like that when i was young i promised myself that i would not be like that with my own kids and thank god i stuck to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I put my nearly 6 year old to bed at around 8:30 and stay with him quietly reading and talking until 9:15 ish....but he often doesn't go asleep until 10:30 because he his hopping up and down the stairs asking for stuff and is generally not able to wind himself down.

There is no TV in his room and I do not intend on putting one in there (because I am also a Victorian parent :o ) but does have books and toys....blaming tiredness on tv's in bedrooms is a bit silly.

I don't think that kids being tired in school is a new phenomenon anyway...kids are just human..... I'm sure I was tired in school in the early eighties :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

4 1/2 year old girl and 7 year old boy. Bedtime is 7:30 mid-week but often rises to 8. Then there's a battle of wills to get them to stop chatting to each other / running into each other's rooms / coming up and down the stairs to ask for things etc. so it's usually closer to 9/9:30 before they're asleep.

Weekends tend to be closer to 8:00/8:30 with an occasional 9 if they've been very good and we let them have a "movie night".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

The boys are two and go to bed at 7.30. The girls are 3 and 6, the 3 year old goes at 8 and the 6 year old goes at 8.30. All asleep at 9pm latest and all wake up at 8am! :D

No naps or sleeps during the day, sometimes one of the boys might nap for 15 minutes if we have been to the playground or walked him around the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

4 1/2 year old, in bed between 8/8:30 with story. No excuses. Nana calls me Hitler and despises me for the routine, but no2 is due soon and school in September so I am not giving in. My partner and I cherish the hour or two silence before our own bedtime so we need him in bed then. Each family is different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 2 year old and 4 year old go up about 8, if they are really tired i completely lie and tell them it is 8 when it is 7,most of my clocks are 24 hour and that confuses the 4 year old;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My 20 month old goes between 7.30 & 8.30. Closer to the earlier time Friday to Sunday as I'm off work so can have dinner cooked earlier & still leaves her time to play with mammy & daddy before bed. At the min Monday to Thursday its getting nearer to 8.30 as its so hard getting in & cooking in the evening & then she wants to go out & play with the kids on the road when it's dry. We usually bring her out for a bit & then it's story time & bed. Usually wakes once a night, although last night just tossed & turned a lot, gave her a drink of water & she didn't wake til 7, so would have been delighted with myself, only that I'm 18 weeks pregnant & not sleeping much.

Can't get over the size of the kids on the road still out playing at 9pm plus - 3/4 year olds. Mental! I hear one of them on a nightly basis sobbing crying at about 8.30 - clearly she's wrecked, so can't understand when the parents let them stay out so late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The only experience I have with kids is 2 x 3 month stints in the USA in a residential summer camp (bedtime varied by age, but even the older kids (up to 17) were lights out by 10-10:30, under 15s generally lights out 9:30). They were sometimes allowed a late night but were noticeably crankier and in worse moods and generally buzzing on a lot of nervous energy the next day.

I know a lot of people can't stand her, but I do remember Supernanny doing a test on bedtimes. Took a bunch of kids, measured their aptitude, reaction times etc. etc. Let them do whatever they want about bedtime for a week so long as lights were out by 11 and remeasured their performance. The next week, she imposed strict bedtimes and restrictions on electronics before bed and remeasured the functioning of the kids. All of them had massive drops in performance when allowed to stay up til 11 and do as they pleased before bed, and iirc, all of them improved above their initial baseline when bedtime was set to much earlier and they had no electronics before bed. It's worth a watch, though. Kinda shows just how much sleep kids actually need (even many of those who are hyper and buzz about til 11, then crash, are overtired and need more sleep than they've been getting)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

21 month old goes to bed at 730, just up from 7 two weeks ago. And 7 week old goes down at 7. Dream feed at 10, and sleeps on till 630 when the other one wakes.

beertons wrote: »
    21 month old goes to bed at 730, just up from 7 two weeks ago. And 7 week old goes down at 7. Dream feed at 10, and sleeps on till 630 when the other one wakes.

Pardon my ignorance but what the hell is Dream feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

S28382 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what the hell is Dream feed?

Feeding the child while they are asleep / not fully roused.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tis deadly, she doesn't even know she's getting it till i burp her after 2 ounces. Repeat twice more, wind again, swaddle and it's lights out. Thanks to Tizzie Hall for that one. Better than feeds every 3 hours throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

My 7 month goes to bed at 7.30 - 8pm each night, try to keep him in a routine since he was a few weeks old. Since I'm working all day and his Mam stays at home I get home at about 6, dinner goes on and I'll play with him for an hour, tire him down if he's not already, get him into his jammies then his last bottle of the day which he usually falls asleep with after 5-6 ounces then up to bed and he's out for the count until 8 or so the next morning!

Advertisement