Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia 02/06/13 5:30pm

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It'll be amusing to see McShane in the Premier League again next season :)

He's great for the video editing skills when making the inevitable montages of his more unconventional methods of defending... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It'll be amusing to see McShane in the Premier League again next season :)

Probably won't though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hoolahan just keeps showing us why he should be in this team.

More great stuff from Hoolahan there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I see Hoolahan play and he is by far and away the best player on the pitch and I laugh at some of the players that get into the side ahead of him.

Long's finishing needs work.

• Advertisement

I see Hoolahan play and he is by far and away the best player on the pitch and I laugh at some of the players that get into the side ahead of him.

Agreed. It's completely baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The one thing that baffles me about Hoolahan is that he hasn't nailed a spot in the Irish team before now. He is over 30 but is tipped by many to be a top player for Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

aindriu80 wrote: »
    The one thing that baffles me about Hoolahan is that he hasn't nailed a spot in the Irish team before now. He is over 30 but is tipped by many to be a top player for Ireland ?

Hasn't even nailed down a spot for Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It'll be some farce, even for Trap, if Wes doesn't start on Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Nice to see Dunne back

• Advertisement

2 direct, physical teams. 1 small, technically gifted footballer.

It depends on who they're playing whether he plays or not. He could hardly be described as a squad player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Dunne looks fitter than i've ever seen him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Great to see Dunne back, Mclean looks dissapointed to be taken off, he's done very well and may have played himself into the team for next week.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Dunne looks fitter than i've ever seen him

He's been able to run all season, it was just that he had pain when he kicked the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I feel for Andy Keogh - he is always forced into his less favoured wide position for Ireland.

For a player like Dunne,its an awful shame to see him left without any security in terms of full time football in the coming season.

noodler wrote: »
    I feel for Andy Keogh - he is always forced into his less favoured wide position for Ireland.

he has a favoured position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hoolahan's having a better half but he's playing against a ten-man Georgia team who know the game is up.

The player keeping him out of the team is Robbie Keane. There is no way Hoolahan is normally going to be played in a deep central midfield role because the system is built upon being solid in the central area; in other words, to play Hoolahan you have to drop Keane, and based on the terrible finishing of Long and Cox tonight, I'm more convinced than ever that Keane needs to be in the starting line-up.

Hoolahan's having a better half but he's playing against a ten-man Georgia team who know the game is up.

The player keeping him out of the team is Robbie Keane. There is no way Hoolahan is normally going to be played in a deep central midfield role because the system is built upon being solid in the central area; in other words, to play Hoolahan you have to drop Keane, and based on the terrible finishing of Long and Cox tonight, I'm more convinced than ever that Keane needs to be in the starting line-up.

relax,sammon to the rescue...

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    he has a favoured position?

He scored 12 league goals the season before last in the Championship as a striker I believe.

Less impressive 6 last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

pmcmahon wrote: »
    relax,sammon to the rescue...

He must be worth 50 million at this rate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know if Gibson is in the panel today. Missed the start.

Hendrick - McCarthy playing the two DM roles with Hoolahan in a free AM role with Long up top is clearly our best midfield/attack.

Keane doesn't look half the scoring threat that he used to. We need others to contribute more in terms of goals.

He's not, and won't be while Trap is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If anything his performance shows that Ireland need to play a 4-5-1 system.

Hoolahan played well but wasn't fantastic. Maybe he should get more club football.

Keane doesn't look half the scoring threat that he used to. We need others to contribute more in terms of goals.

Eat your words:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Keanooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Faith in Trap slowly returning.

And that is what Keane is good at and why he works in the Ireland team.

Hoolahan played well but wasn't fantastic. Maybe he should get more club football.

He's one of our better players and should be an Automatic starter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Glad to see Keane score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont see the point of facing a team as poor as Georgia, I know they are 10 men down but they are still crap with 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Madness when he's starting for Everton.

Keane given a goal on a plate, his supporters will have another load of ammo now, feck's sake.

Excellent performance tonight from Hoolahan. By far the best player on the pitch, it's sad that he hasn't gotten the caps his quality deserves, it's even more sad that he has been (and probably will continue to be) a bit part player in this qualifying campaign because of the negative outlook on the game of the manager.

Keane given a goal on a plate, his supporters will have another load of ammo now, feck's sake.

He's the only striker we have who I would have confidence in scoring in a one on one situation with the goalie, on that alone he deserves his place in the team imo.

Yeah, he is in a self-imposed exile until the manager guarantees him a starting place.

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont see the point of facing a team as poor as Georgia, I know they are 10 men down but they are still crap with 11

Well, bear in mind a number of factors.

We aren't exactly world beaters ourselve, it meant we didn't have to go abroad for a friendly, we had our stern test last week with England (two in a row might have been too much) and then lets remember its all build up for the even poorer Faroes.

• Advertisement

Excellent performance tonight from Hoolahan. By far the best player on the pitch, it's sad that he hasn't gotten the caps his quality deserves, it's even more sad that he has been (and probably will continue to be) a bit part player in this qualifying campaign because of the negative outlook on the game of the manager.

I agree with you 100% !!! Your post should be stickied !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

sammon did that on purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

33 Premier League appearances last season not enough?

nice to see Keane getting his 55th goal for Ireland ! Looking up the all time goal scoring list gets bettter

Is that Fergie again starting a mexican wave?

fullstop wrote: »
    33 Premier League appearances last season not enough?

Where has he been until now ? He is over 30 and it can't be the manager. I think he probably has only a few seasons left in him tbf. He is a good player though, no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Where has he been until now ? He is over 30 and it can't be the manager. I think he probably has only a few seasons left in him tbf. He is a good player though, no question.

Indeed, where has he been to until now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

nice to see Keane getting his 55th goal for Ireland ! Looking up the all time goal scoring list gets bettter

Could be a lifetime waiting for a better striker to come along. None of the other currently qualified Irish players will ever be fit to lace his boots. I just hope there is a teenager out there somewhere ready to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ketsbaia, Stalin, Zurab from the second floor in my apartment block, Katie Melua (who knew) Kaladze, Kinkladze, Queen Tamar the great, Jimmy Carter and Ray Charles- your boys took one heck of a beating.

He's only been establihsed in the EPL in the last two/three years but its not like we have been adverse to selecting Championship players in the past.

Should have been in the squad earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement