Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Georgia 02/06/13 5:30pm

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Another one for the Legend that is Keane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Get in Robbie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

KEANOOOOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

noodler wrote: »

We aren't exactly world beaters ourselve, it meant we didn't have to go abroad for a friendly, we had our stern test last week with England (two in a row might have been too much) and then lets remember its all build up for the even poorer Faroes.

I forgot about the England game, good point. We certainly no world beaters thats for sure but we are a much higher level than Georgia any day of the week. I rather see Ireland face a much better team than Georgia but be on the same level than us. What has todays game show any of us? Nothing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

buyer95 wrote: »
    He's the only striker we have who I would have confidence in scoring in a one on one situation with the goalie, on that alone he deserves his place in the team imo.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Where has he been until now ? He is over 30 and it can't be the manager. I think he probably has only a few seasons left in him tbf. He is a good player though, no question.
    So what, do you want him to play for 2 clubs to make up for lost time? I don't really get your point. He played LOI until he was 21/22 I think, then went to Scotland, then Blackpool. What bearing does the fact he's 31 have over the fact he should be playing regularly during these qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Robbie Keane scores again :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Hendrick's looked impressive since coming on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Could be a lifetime waiting for a better striker to come along. None of the other currently qualified Irish players will ever be fit to lace his boots. I just hope there is a teenager out there somewhere ready to come through.

Prophetic!

If we are too persist with 4-4-2 then I'd like to see Keane and Long a little bit more together.

Good finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ketsbaia, Stalin, Zurab from the second floor in my apartment block, Katie Melua (who knew) Kaladze, Kinkladze, Queen Tamar the great, Jimmy Carter and Ray Charles- your boys took one heck of a beating.

lol, wp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another goal from the legend.

This game should be remembered the next time his position in the squad is questioned.

We probably should have hit at least seven in this match if our other strikers had brought their shooting boots. Thankfully, Keane brought his.

All he does is score goals though.

I joke, legend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This game should be remembered the next time his position in the squad is questioned.

No it shouldn't. It's the equivalent of a kick about down the local park in terms of importance. Georgia are poor, and playing with a man less.

Headshot wrote: »
    I forgot about the England game, good point. We certainly no world beaters thats for sure but we are a much higher level than Georgia any day of the week. I rather see Ireland face a much better team than Georgia but be on the same level than us. What has todays game show any of us? Nothing tbh.

Ah, its just a game to keep the team ticking over when there would otherwise be nothing else going on.

You have to bear in mind that most teams are on or are about to go on their holidays at the moment.

Every friendly game can't be against England style opposition - hell theres even an argument that such a team wouldn't even be the best preperation for the Faroes game in 6 days time.

No it shouldn't. It's the equivalent of a kick about down the local park in terms of importance. Georgia are poor, and playing with a man less.

Long missed 3 guilt edged chances, Keane had 2 chances, scored 2 goals. 'Nuf said.

• Advertisement

Yes it should.

Long missed 3 guilt edged chances, Keane had 2 chances, scored 2 goals. 'Nuf said.

Must be a really frustrating business being a committed Keane hater.

Yes it should.

You'd give this game the same credence as the England game in making selection decisions then? I certainly wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Keane can put a ball past a pub team, no one questions that. Unfortunately when it comes to playing against decent opposition, he's woefully past it.

? My comment was in praise of Keane:confused:

• Advertisement

You'd give this game the same credence as the England game in making selection decisions then? I certainly wouldn't.

I don't undertsand exactly what you are saying now?

Put simply, he should be in the squad - thats all.

Must be a frustrating business finding a committed Keane hater. Anyone who openly hates one of our greatest ever players is clueless.

I don't undertsand exactly what you are saying now?

Put simply, he should be in the squad - thats all.

When did I claim he shouldn't be in the squad? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bet365's enhanced half time offer was Ireland 4-0 @16/1.

Well played Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All the more reason why the other forwards should have filled their boots.

Long had two fantastic opportunities one on one and missed them. Same as he did against Sweden. He is a very good player who should be featuring, but he is no Robbie Keane.

Long had two fantastic opportunities one on one and missed them. Same as he did against Sweden. He is a very good player who should be featuring, but he is no Robbie Keane.

He's not as good as Robbie in his prime, but he's a better player currently. Perhaps not a better finisher, but a better player.

I disagree with thwt you say regarding Long Vs Sweden - barely even a half chance imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Don't think we learned much from that in terms of going forward.

Georgia going down to 10 men made the game redundant.

If anything it showed that before the sending off Georgia were more than a match for Ireland and that going forward we will continue to struggle in the middle if we play the 2 in there.

Refreshing to see a player(Hoolahan) look to get on the ball as apposed to the usual long ball approach we have seen so often.

? My comment was in praise of Keane:confused:

I know mate, I was adding to it! Your post was A+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Similar result now against the Faroes should still give us hope of qualifying. Plenty of positives to take from that second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Robbie Keane has now moved to joint 20th in the list of all-time international goalscorers, now level with Batistuta and ahead of the likes of Romario and Eto'o.

shrewdness wrote: »
    Robbie Keane has now moved to joint 20th in the list of all-time international goalscorers, now level with Batistuta and ahead of the likes of Romario and Eto'o.

Should retire from the squad though obv

shrewdness wrote: »

The 20 or thereabouts name ahead of him are quite varied to say the least!

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Similar result now against the Faroes should still give us hope of qualifying. Plenty of positives to take from that second half.

I have to be honest, I have already seen past the Faroes in my own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The 20 or thereabouts name ahead of him are quite varied to say the least!

Yeah a lot of them picked up there goals against nothing nations. Along with South America Europe is the toughest place to score because there's a higher % of teams ranked higher in the world rankings than other continents. Makes his record all the more impressive.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of them picked up there goals against nothing nations. Along with South America Europe is the toughest place to score because there's a higher % of teams ranked higher in the world rankings than other continents. Makes his record all the more impressive.

Good ol Ali Daei from Iran!

I remember that coming up in the 2001 WC play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

To put things in perspective,will Long score ~48 goals in ~90 games to pass Robbie out.Hardly.

Long's finishing isnt great,but he might improve.

Other positives from today,Quinn and Hendrick seem to have a good touch.

I think going forward that Whelan should be put out to pasture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

USA beating Germany 2-0 after 15mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Keane's only as good as the service/opportunities he gets, and as today proved, his goal poaching is pretty impressive.

NOW THAT SAID....

As soon as Whelan/negative tactics are reintroduced to the Irish team, the regression in style will make one weep. Keane is forced deep and out of his best position. He then has a mediocre game, the haters jump on board....and so the cycle continues...

It's not Keane's fault. He is a poacher, end of. Keane will always have a "sh!te" game as long as Trap persists with the negative tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Just back from the game. Decent result, first half was a bit ****e but red changed it all.

Any injuries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

fullstop wrote: »
    So what, do you want him to play for 2 clubs to make up for lost time? I don't really get your point. He played LOI until he was 21/22 I think, then went to Scotland, then Blackpool. What bearing does the fact he's 31 have over the fact he should be playing regularly during these qualifiers?

Thats my point, he hasn't really been knocking the door down. Maybe he is not absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have to be honest, I have already seen past the Faroes in my own mind.

I was referring to scoring a few goals to try and make up for the hammering Germany gave us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I think its getting goals more than trying to push for a win tbh. But I don't think we can do anything to fix the damage Germany did with the faroes as its head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Other positives from today,Quinn and Hendrick seem to have a good touch.

I think going forward that Whelan should be put out to pasture.

Quinn?

• Advertisement

Quinn?

Stephen Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Would have been a good game if it wasnt for the red.Hoolihan deserves a place ahead of Whelan but we all knew that. The biggest positive we can take from it is that we can get a Mexican wave going with just 10000 people

Quinn?

We are so fcuked for players,we brought back Big Niall today.:D

Advertisement