Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Query - All input is appreciated

Options
  • 31-05-2013 11:44am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi to everyone here, hope ye are all working hard. Having sat my JC in 1995, I'm probably one of the older people posting here!

In my spare time, I volunteer to teach Numeracy and Literacy to adults. One of my students is an elderly lady who has decided to sit the Project Maths exam in June. She never had the opportunity to sit the exam earlier in her life and is working hard.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the topics that come up each year? We have covered everything but, as we enter the final week, I'd like to focus on the questions that always come up.

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

The Proof comes up every year, you have to write out 1 proof out of a possible 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Area and Volume, statistics and probability come up every year i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Trigonometry (sin, cos, tan) is very common, and very annoying. Pythagoras' Theorem usually comes up in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FShiwani

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi to everyone here, hope ye are all working hard. Having sat my JC in 1995, I'm probably one of the older people posting here!

In my spare time, I volunteer to teach Numeracy and Literacy to adults. One of my students is an elderly lady who has decided to sit the Project Maths exam in June. She never had the opportunity to sit the exam earlier in her life and is working hard.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the topics that come up each year? We have covered everything but, as we enter the final week, I'd like to focus on the questions that always come up.

Thanks for your input!

Know the proofs. Pythagoras Proof may come up this year. Functions come up every time. Probablillty, Statistics(Stem and leaf, etc.), Sets(venn diagrams)

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My wife teaches JC and my daughter is sitting it. My wife tells me that there is no pattern to the questions.

However, she said Area and Volume will definitely be Q 1 on paper 2 and 50 marks just like the old course. There will be a few questions on probability and statistics. The rest will be a mixture of coordinate geometry, geometry and trigonometry. In the lower level paper there are no formal proofs of theorems and whereas on the higher there are 5 formal proofs.

Paper 1 hasn't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

One of the constructions is likely to come up

Statistics and Probabilty is a pretty big part. Make sure you can do the easy first few questions as most students will answer them correctly therefore most marks for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

WHAT CONSTRUCTIONS ARE COMING UP

WHAT CONSTRUCTIONS ARE COMING UP

There is no definite prediction. Just know the main ones(parallel line with/without set square, bisect angle, line, etc) If you do T.G, this should be very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

FShiwani wrote: »
    There is no definite prediction. Just know the main ones(parallel line with/without set square, bisect angle, line, etc) If you do T.G, this should be very easy

Dude....my...teacher...didn't....do.....constructions. Are there any online resources i can use to find them? I do TG too but he always leaves during class so we have to learn from book

• Advertisement

Dude....my...teacher...didn't....do.....constructions. Are there any online resources i can use to find them? I do TG too but he always leaves during class so we have to learn from book

This is the official Project Maths syllabus constructions, scroll down the page a bit and you will find them.

http://www.projectmaths.ie/students/cd-strand1and2/strand2-geoandtrig-junior.asp

Advertisement