Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on appealing a Fetac grade..

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of a girl from my class.

This is the situation;

In February of the college year it came to light that students needed to take the communications module in order to be considered for CAO places. In my opinion, this should have been known by the college already, but the head tutor decided to put Personal Effectiveness as a module instead, even though it is not related to our course at all. This was a major mess-up by the course coordinator.

So late February/early March the college decided to offer communications as module to students who needed it. They offered us the minimum amount of assignments in order to make up the 80% to get a distinction. They gave every person full marks for every assignment they handed up. And got students to do a couple of other dishonest things which I won't mention on a public forum.

However, my friend has now receieved an email from the college saying the external examiner dropped her grade to a merit. Which now means she can't apply for some courses on the CAO because most courses require a distinction in communications as a mimimum entry.

She's going to appeal the result to fetac, but I fear they won't change it. As they're just judging the papers in front of them rather than the whole situation, which the college obviously did to try and get out of the mess.

I'm just wondering if any one could offer me advice in regards to could I contact fetac to inform of them of what happened. And if if they would likely do anything about it? I.E let her re-submit the assignments or the other remaining assignments.

I know this is unlikely, however, I feel it is incredibly unfair that a student can not apply for courses she has worked hard all year to strive towards. She has all the other requirements needed to apply. She got 8 distinctions. But now has 7 distinctions and one merit due to this. The problem with that is that the one merit is the module she needs to have as a distinction.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have ye complained to the college? That is unacceptable practice and FETAC should be informed, especially if students were misled.

She should appeal. However, if this doesn't work and she goes to FETAC about it, I'd imagine that FETAC will recommend that your friend simply repeat the Comms module (even though this will limit her choices to courses that will accept results from two years).

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Have ye complained to the college? That is unacceptable practice and FETAC should be informed, especially if students were misled.

She should appeal. However, if this doesn't work and she goes to FETAC about it, I'd imagine that FETAC will recommend that your friend simply repeat the Comms module (even though this will limit her choices to courses that will accept results from two years).

She has complained to the college, who have accepted blame and apologised. However, that doesn't help her in regards to applying for courses on the CAO this year.

I don't think she'd like to repeat the module, it would practically be repeating a whole ear just for one module.

She will appeal the result to fetac, but I fear they won't change her grade.

Advertisement