Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer crashes just after starting up

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi All
    I've got windows xp on my desktop. about 5 year old.
    Just after starting up, the icons come up but i can't
    open or do anyhting after that. I've been trying to put
    it in to safe mode by pressing f8, but no success.
    Even when i select safemode it seems to bring it back
    to normal start up? very frustrating. Any help or guidance appreciated
    I keep switching it off by unplugging it, will this do harm to it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Can you open the start menu? It could be hard disk failure or dodgy memory causing the issue. I would check the hdd first

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It's weird that it's not booting in to safe mode. What happens when you try it, just a normal boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

yoyo wrote: »
    Can you open the start menu? It could be hard disk failure or dodgy memory causing the issue. I would check the hdd first

Nick

Cheers Yoyo
    No I cant open start menu.

It's weird that it's not booting in to safe mode. What happens when you try it, just a normal boot?

Yeah it just goes to normal boost. I'll go try it again. But Id say this will need someone that knows what they are doin to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

are you sure its not got a problem with the keyboard ? That could explain why its not going into safe mode when hitting F8 on startup

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    are you sure its not got a problem with the keyboard ? That could explain why its not going into safe mode when hitting F8 on startup

Thanks Muppet, Good point, I dont think so but will check it out. You've got me thinking it might be the mouse thats the culprit. but as for not going to safe mode? strange

turned it off and left it for half an hour. turned it back on and its working ok, a bit slow.
    Now is a good time to back up files!
    It had been on continuously for a fair bit these last months. I assume this wouldn't be too healthy for it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Espoo wrote: »
    turned it off and left it for half an hour. turned it back on and its working ok, a bit slow.
    Now is a good time to back up files!
    It had been on continuously for a fair bit these last months. I assume this wouldn't be too healthy for it?

Backup now! Does sound like the hard disk is failing being honest :(

Nick

Advertisement