Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in our home- please help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gorbals

So after a couple of hours of "Bat-watch", I didn't see a bat go in or out of the hole I had found but I did see a bat fly from around the side of the house. I went inside at one stage and looking out the back door window I did see another smaller bat fly very close to the door and up towards the roof. So I'm more confident that the problem is bat related, but none the wiser as to where they are getting in. So some more bat watch tomorrow evening, same bat time...... (Sorry).

Also the kids living on the road also now think I'm a complete weirdo standing still outside for an hour in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatItAllAbout

HI Gorbals, any more update on your bat watching? Have the kids reported you to the local garda yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gorbals wrote: »
    I went inside at one stage and looking out the back door window I did see another smaller bat fly very close to the door and up towards the roof.
    Could they be getting in under the roof tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gorbals

:) No, the Gardai havent called to me, yet!!!
    Spent a good bit of the day on Saturday climbing through the alcove/attic spaces in the house not finding a trace of any life. Laid some mouse traps while i was in there but there was no droppings/footprints anywhere.

That evening I spent an hour sitting in the car and sure enough I spotted movement near the hole I have found in the Facia. Seconds later a bat landed on the ground close to me before taking off again. Spotted him flying around a few times over the next hour.

So I'm happy its bats (as is the missus!) and nothing else. I also havent heard a peep in the walls since then. Also no sighting in the last few nights either. I'll give it another couple of nights to see if they've definitely gone before closing up the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 holmum

Hey, good you know the problem and it doesnt sound like you have many. u need to be sure you are closing up the right place and that there are no other places for them to get back in, rest assured they will return after hibernation and try the same spot.
    I got our local ranger out, he pointed out all possible parts on the roof where they could possibly re enter. He told me it would be end of october before i should even think about closing up holes, so just make sure you are not sealing any in. If you google bat hole one way it will show you how to put up something over the hole that lets them leave but prevents them re-entering.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatItAllAbout

So wondering are people preparing to block the holes yet?
    I plan to leave it till the end of this month to be sure to be sure :)

Advertisement